Introducing Digitakt

Hmm… I think I might be out then… maybe… It’s smaller than the AR, so easier on the road… but… hmm… argh…

@Ess

Just two questions:

Is it possible to sample into a sampleslot while the sequencer is running?in example, i have melody running and want to sample into this slot, so the melody is running on with the new sample?

Is it possible to use the live in monitoring an synth running through the effects, like on the analog four?

Forgive me if this questions are yet answered, this thread is collapsed!
Internal synthesis is no problem, look at all this little desktop gems out there…gonna collect them all.

Well, the recorder can operate while the sequencer is running, both in the foreground and background. However, after recording you need to save the recording to the +Drive prior to loading it into the Project memory.

(However, this process is very quick, so you will be able to rec and load in a few seconds, but not directly to a sample position in the Project)

There is no “input machine”, so it is not possible to route external audio into filters, effects etc.
You can however turn monitoring on in the recorder and exit the screen - so you will be able to use it as a sort of “mix in” function.

8 Likes

Regarding synthesis - no synth engines. Only samples.
But, as you might have seen in some of the videos, the sample playback engine is very versatile and can be used for somewhat brutish wavetable-style playback as well as some granular-esque stuff.

Another interesting thing is that the Amp “stage” is before the filter, which means that you can ping the filter if you crank the resonance - allowing you to make various blips, blops and cool FM:ed bongos. (Also great for bassdrums)

(Plus I think the transposition sounds very natural, so when you mess around and transpose samples it just sounds ‘right’)

16 Likes

Regarding pattern/banks, I feel that I should point out that the number of banks is not yet final - we will see in the release OS. Possibly we’ll stay with 128 for compatibility (and memory constraints…)

7 Likes

Any info regarding MASTER button?
Is this an extra track, like the fx tracks on the A4/AR?
So you can parameter lock the Delay/Reverb parameters, is there a compressor as well?
Or can you parameter lock the Delay/Reverb setting on each audio/sample track?
Cenk showed showed the CTRL All, which I like very much, but on this (expected) MASTER/FX track can we expect some kind of performance control like on the A4? So you are able to make a selection of parameters you wish to control at once.

You’re the best, Simon! Thanks!

4 Likes

No input machine dang!

1 Like

I caved and preordered one from my local dealer. Current ETA is mid May.

2 Likes

Simon - Could you please update us asap on song mode/no song mode/pattern chaining? This is a make or break for quite a few of us. A lot of us are looking at the MPC Live as an alternate, and if the Digitakt does have a solution to not having song mode, I think a lot of us will opt for the Digitakt over the MPC Live.

Thx!

3 Likes

I hadn’t considered that (mostly because my TM-2 has become more a part of my modular, receiving triggers out from Mutable Instruments Branches for some funky drumming), but it’s a clever idea. I’m not actually quite sure how the midi sequencing on the Digitakt would fit into my setup since I have the Pyramid doing the heavy lifting, but the trig conditions would give me something different sequencing-wise, so I’d find some way to use them.

1 Like

Is midi coming to the DAW via overbridge so that it can be latency compensated for when triggering VSTis?

Can you record polyphonic midi notes live or do you have to p-lock the poly notes like on OT / MD? Thanks Simon :slight_smile:

Operating system schmoperating system. I’ll take it now, warts and all. I will love it either way.

4 Likes

No FX tracks. We have a few ideas for the Master page, so I’ll refrain from a direct answer at the moment. I’m sure you can imagine a few options that would make sense.

8 Likes

No Song mode, but Chain mode will be there, and our goal is to make it a viable alternative.

10 Likes

Man, you had me at Chain mode. Or hello. Not sure what came first in this marathon thread.

3 Likes

Fun fact, I actually made a mockup of a tracker screen, but it was a taaad bit cramped in the 128x64 resolution! :happy:

13 Likes

funny, elektron gear with p-locks reminds me a bit of tracking in renoise, banging in loads of step automation with the keyboard shortcuts :slight_smile:

1 Like

No coincidence, a lot of the guys who worked on the Machinedrum were demosceners.

13 Likes