Introducing Digitakt

Yes, the sample slot (brief) discussion really interested me.

One of the frustrating things about the Rytm is the 128 slots in the pool. So if your pool is full, you can’t just load up new samples from the +Drive to experiment with. This really kills workflow in the ‘exploration’ stage. The OT’s sample pool works much better in this respect.

Will be interesting to see what they do, but I do hope for an evolution of the Rytm’s sample pool.

1 Like

ok so technically I could use all 8 midi tracks to just control tracks in Live, right? If so I think I can see the light …

I will get a DT but not selling Rytm.

For all the overlap and similarities, Rytm’s macros, 10 outputs and analog sound will keep it in my studio for a long time.

3 Likes

Yep, you can use it as a sequencer for your DAW. Either via the midi-connection or USB.

CNTL-ALL = Rad

Thanks

1 Like

I reckon, since all the information is saved in the pattern, the best way to work it would be to copy the pattern before cntrl-ALLing and paste it when you’re ready to go back.

I suppose it’s a shame about the lack of song mode, due to this thing saving the BPMs in each pattern so it would have made a good master machine. I guess it’s all about how you choose to do it. Still keeps the OT relavent I suppose

Edit: I wonder. If the info is stored in the pattern and you copied the pattern at 120 BPM and then slowed it down to 30. If you pasted it, would the track return to 120? Could be cool, if so!

1 Like

I’m willing to bet that getting the pattern back to it’s original state after CTRL-ALL freaking is about the same as MD.

On MD, CTRL-ALL uses the FUNCTION button + knobs.
To escape that, you press FUNCTION + the button right above it (CLASSIC/EXTENDED)

On DT. CTRL-ALL uses the TRACK button + knobs.
To escape that, you’ll probably just have to press TRACK + the button right above it (FUNC)

You might think “no, Adam, TRACK + FUNC = Chromatic mode!”
However, as long as you’re holding down TRACK first and then pressing FUNC, I expect it to work,
where as holding down FUNC then TRACK = enter Chromatic mode.
FUNC is like a shift key on a keyboard, and for shift functions to work as intended (Chromatic mode), the shift (FUNC) key would have to be pressed first.

Therefore FUNC + TRACK = Chromatic Mode
and TRACK + FUNC = Escape CTRL-ALL

2 Likes

Sorry if this has been asked but, are there no trigless trigs etc with the digitakt?

I may have missed a mention of them in the cuckoo video tbh.

Possibly. But the machinedrum had saved kits and the DT only has patterns. Though, maybe there’s a “save pattern” option

the resampling capability seems strange to me without time stretch

Also The md has dedicated crtall tracks, I love that about the md.

That and a hundred other functions/connectivity/storage aspects where OT kills DT :wink:

I’m interested to pick up a DT for sure at some point but I’m in no rush, there’s a lot of crazy talk in this thread following the videos :wink: Cool that everyone’s excited and Elektron have made a great box but anyone selling OT for DT must only be using half of its features/depth anyway?

I’d miss way too much to flip mine. Scenes fader (by far my favourite OT feature), decent storage, 3 LFO per track, parts, 2 insert fx per track (tho I nearly always use filter as one of those and DT has that hardwired per track), slices, tempo division per track (wondering if this will be on DT? It’s missing on AK), arranger, extra physical outputs/inputs, looper, stereo etc etc… I’d suggest people take a breath before selling their OT. And make a project template if haven’t done so already. Most of the speed of DT is easily setup in OT too if you use the same template each time…

Saying all that, DT looks killer for other stuff. Love the granular stuff Cenk does with the piano sample in one of the vids. Played with OT last night and you can do all that there too but you can’t automate/lfo the loop window. You can do it manually in the edit window and resample easy enough while simultaneously playing chromatically, not really the same thing tho. Also love where he changes all samples on all tracks with Ctr-all and that you can automate that. Again you can do that on OT but not in the same way. So yeah, there are a few things DT does in a more ‘fun’ looser way. That plus conditional trigs are the reasons I’ll probably grab one. Also the whole thing just seems to sound a bit crisper than OT with better chromatic algorithm…

Hoping DT is an OT2 lite and that’ll be announced later this year with the new UI + poly tracks/sample layering/huge storage/slicing/new fx/arpeggio on sample tracks/longer pattern step limit/8 physical separate outputs/USB hub/improves timestrech etc. Such a shame if that box doesn’t get made…

1 Like

I like what i see from the videos about Digitakt…perfect companion for my eurorack.
And it seems very streamlined when it comes to sampling.
Gonna be fun to sample all the blips n’ blops and save some precious rackspace :yum:

1 Like

I could see the OT winning out over the DT for someone that has sampling as part of their core music making method. Speaking personally, I LOVE what samples can add to a track. But finding the sample, recording it, and fitting it into the track can be a bit obnoxious. What Elektron have done have made the aspect of sampling less of a chore and significantly more immediate.

I’m very tempted to grab this at some point, because finding things to throw into the OT was something I could get into, and live recording into it stressed me out

Tbh I dont sample in to OT as much as I should. I mainly sample in to Daw, Sp404, op1 or rc300 looper. Just old habits. Then drag stuff in to my OT mem card which is rammed with stuff to dig through. But I still sample in to OT pretty often, it’s no slower than DT in that respect. I have a template set up so everything is only 1 or 2 clicks.

I get what youre saying tho. DT def looks less daunting overall. But another thing I’ll miss is timestrech. Going to be ballache or impossible to use samples (especially as loops) in the ways I sometimes do on OT. Elektron have been pretty clever and made them two very different boxes when you get past the initial obvious similarities.

Nah, you can put an LFO on start time and trigger every trig and it replicates a time stretch

Surely that won’t work/sound like legit timestrech? And be vibe killer to setup and steal your only lfo…

1 Like

I’ve heard someone do it in s video and it sounded pretty legit. Once you get it down, you could resample it and free up that LFO

Sounds like a pretty clunky workaround for workflow. I’ll just keep my OT as well and use each for their strengths :wink:

1 Like

That’s the spirit! I reckon it might be easier to capture and prepare a sample on this, and then you can send it to the OT for supreme mangling.

I’m having second thoughts selling my OT. Maybe I should work more with my iPad and preparing audio and sending it over… I think I should

1 Like