Introducing Digitakt

It is and it isn’t. Should a guy who reviews an awful lot of stuff but expected to learn (or attempt to) Elektron gear with it’s quirks and, arguably, pretty unintuitive approach? Only so many hours in a day and we know how long it can take to “get” these boxes. I prefer to take the view point that he’s doing Elektron a solid favour here. Nick simply wouldn’t be able to do these units justice.

Having said that, I’d love to see him learn one of the boxes and provide a follow up opinion piece. I value Nick’s reviews quite highly on both entertainment (love watching them) as well as to help form my opinions on potential purchases so would be interested to hear is view on the Elektron’s in general.

1 Like

it has CONTROL ALL!!!

24 Likes

I am not really aware how that works and the MD manual wasn’t very helpful there. Does that mean you have to sacrifice a track then one parameter can be mapped to several others?

you just hold the track button and any parameter tweaks are applied to all tracks. Simon is demoing this rn and it sounds very fucking good

12 Likes

oh YES YES YES.
I knew all that pestering would pay off :wink:

i am one happy bunny :)/

Ctrl-al is my favourite of all the elektron boxes methods of manipulation its just so intuitive and hands on instant. Never gelled with the A4 or Rytm performance pages.

DT rules

That form factor of the Digitakt is very appealing. Also cool the way the two rows of trigs enables a kind of pseudo keyboard layout. The whole modern UI from the backlit keys to the new hi-res zippy screen just feels like a sweet new modern form factor for Elektron. Will be much easer to see what’s what when playing in the dark now. I honestly don’t really need one but I kinda want one haha :laughing:

This is pretty cool ! I use this a lot with MD, for experimenting, crafting loops and improvise fills.
As @pidgeo, I find it very natural as well

3 Likes

Yep, i think its a real turning point for Elektron. Theyve really figured out a slick, simple, streamlined UI which imo was their achilies heel. I cant wait to see what their flagship boxes will be like from now on.

like ive never know anyone to have owned and sold only to buy the same unit again apart from with elektron devices. ive owned all of em twice each :slight_smile: only to sell em cause one thing or another regarding the file / save system or something convoluted drives me nuts. I reckon lots of people who buy and sell and buy elektron stuff again do so for the same reason. The whole “love / hate relationship” that is talked about with elektron gear. Seems like they may have sorted that out now for good :slight_smile:

Can you ask about record page “yes>trim”
Is that truncate? Only available at first with record page?

1 Like

Not sure I see a benefit there? I sample YouTube all the time… Just plug my phone/ipad in to interface/sampler. Prefer that to doing it internal on laptop and flipping between windows to locate YouTube position then back to Daw and vice versa…

We count on you

Say hi to Cenk and Simon from all of us :grin:

1 Like

i think they hate us ^___^

Hi guys :)/

4 Likes

:diddly:

1 Like

sure, will do!
so recording samples is like Cenk showed. Don’t think there’s more.

Params are stored inside patterns - but they’re working on thinks like linking patterns to share sounds, also pattern chaining which will be more advanced than in current devices (instead of song mode)

Mutes & bpm also stored in patterns

13 Likes

Direct jump ?

Haven’t had a chance to watch DT first look video all the way through. I am mostly curious about how the lack of kits has been implemented.

I often have 4 patterns that reference the same kit, and I tweak sounds a lot, want to make sure those tweaks apply to the 4 patterns while switching patterns.

If anyone has come across this specific info mentioned yet, please advise.

The DT looks cool, but I don’t think it’s going to work for me. I’m more of a traditional singer/guitarist/songwriter (who likes unique sounds and modern technology), and the lack of song mode will kill the Digitakt for me. I think it should have a few individual outs too.

I’ll likely buy an MPC Live when they come out.

The audio ins. They convert to mono for samples, but what about using DT as soundcard, does it retain stereo for overbridge into DAW. How many individual outs via usb to Overbridge? Can I have A free DT?

really curious about the advanced pattern chaining.