Introducing Digitakt

Honestly, how can you boys buy something you haven’t even seen in use, let alone heard or tried? Specs are quite unclear too. Quite amazed how it can be sold out without a single demo on YT… Lot of fan boys I reckon.

5 Likes

Mono means no spatial stereo samples. No stereo spaced drumkit slices, no wide field recordings, etc etc. Which is a drag. Mono is great for some things but a lame compromise with others. Maybe they’re fixing it after all the complaints tho and its something that’s contributed to the delay with demo videos?

1 Like

Stereo out for effects and panning I guess… Doesn’t have to mean stereo samples…

Aside from what we know already, which I am satisfied is worth my coin. I have weighed up my pre order based on the following:
A proven track record of great releases in the last 10 years. Really consistent ability to produce solid machines that are work horses. Possibility to resell for good value if not satisfied.

So, so many reasons.

1 Like

True, but even given their track record, aside from 2 teasers, you know very little about the Digitakt. It’s like buying a Mercedes model without even research that particular model online because you are sure that will be a good vehicle and it will suit your needs perfectly.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m also an " Elektron fanboy" but this time I shall wait for some proper demos before jumping in the “hype” wagon.

1 Like

No one said it was perfect, but it appears to suit my set up and workflow really well, hence the pre order.
I only own one other Elektron product, but the price point and functionality of DT tick boxes for me.

Everyone is different with needs and wish lists, I get that, but blanket statements like “you’d have to be crazy to pre-order that” are a little far fetched in 2017 when it takes 3-6 months for gear to get to all parts of the globe after a release.
If you are compelled to even say somethihg like Fan Boy you are either
A) Jealous or
B) Have nothing better to do or offer up.

2 Likes

Some gambles are worth the risk.
It’s not exactly complex, or rare.

2 Likes

most of it operation is extremely obvious, apart from if it has a trick or 2 up its sleeve. I pre ordered cause I know what it’s gonna be like from the available info. a sampler with simple file system (finally), about 12 mins sample time per project, standard elektron sequencer, delay n reverb send, 1 lfo. what else do you need to know? personally I don’t need a demo to know any more, I’ve owned enough elektron stuff to get its vibes.

3 Likes

True, yet questions remain about sample management, the VST component, possible in box editing, looping, sample through input etc. But yeah, its all stuff that is dealt with in one way or another or not. (people will berate me over the NOT part of this statement) And, not to forget, future OS upgrades can tackle some items at a later date.

I appreciate the front panel and the seemingly more direct approach they have gone with on this box, which is what you mean when you say simple system.

I can’t believe anyone has to defend their choices here.

‘This is not the box you’re looking for, move along…’

5 Likes

No, do not be like that dude, I was just curious…

Guru meditation

I was merely observing the mentality: “if a product was good before then for sure it must be that way again”
And good for you, if everything is so obvious and you don’t need to know more about the unit and again good for you if you have the cash to gamble. I need further proof, is all.

1 Like

I wasn’t answering you direct, it was a general reflection in this thread, and forum on the whole as of late.

Surely a Stormtrooper shows the jokey quip?

I’m in the blind trust camp. While I know I’ve said here and there that the features alone are enough, given that the workflow is tight, I have to admit that in my assumptions, there’s also that “There has to be more”. The Volca Sample had its isolator, the Electribe ES-1 (two of which I keep comparing the DigiTakt to) had its stupid funky cool delay and dirty sound. Lots of character, a sort of shine that made these pieces more than their features.

Given Elektron’s track record, I’m just assuming the DigiTakt has as much soul as their previous instruments, and I don’t need to know what it is cause I just trust it to be there, in whatever shape or form that’s gonna surprise me.

With that said, it’s purely based on trust and faith. And given that pre-orders are out and people are lining up here for a riot when they didn’t get one, I’m holding on to mine.

1 Like

Im so unsure of this. Almost pushed the button on one here in the uk for 600GBP -
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/elektron-digitakt-drum-computer-and-sampler?gclid=Cj0KEQjww7zHBRCToPSj_c_WjZIBEiQAj8il5Mtv2gFzA3_fmyoCJ2_2UalQKw6a69n7ngQ9qGBVO9saAjOW8P8HAQ
could well be a bargain…Just can’t decide - this or Rytm

Its in mono but you can pan tracks in the Digitakt to output. Though I read early, way early in this thread that it can be tedious.

Maybe I’m missing was what were getting at, but mixing a stereo split on a mono sample shouldn’t be difficult. However, playing back a sample with true stereo effects intact (ping pong, chorus, etc) sounds like a solid “no” at this point. There are likely ways to fake it though.

Even if you know all the specs you still don’t know if you are going to gel with an instrument until it’s in your hands. So what’s the difference, right?

2 Likes

I’m arriving at a mentality lately that it’s all just personal preference, what gear you think is better, whether to pre order, etc, is different for everybody so why not let everybody be different. By conversing we can share our individual thoughts, but we’re not necessarily going to change someone’s mind to our belief, which I find counterproductive anyway as it limits diversity. By reading all the varied opinions, we may however change our minds or broaden our perspectives on our own accord…

2 Likes