Introducing Digitakt

I think so. But someone please correct me if this isn’t the case. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly. What’s the fun if the discussion always stays nicely on topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh gawd… hadn’t realized this outrageous DT acronym relationship until now - cannot unrealize :cold_sweat:

6 Likes

Still don’t understand why it is being touted as a drum maschine as opposed to a sampler.
Does it contain a ROM chip full of drum samples?
To me it seems more like the OT than any of the other boxes!

2 Likes

totally, it’s a sampler that can be used as a drum machine no?
I’m very happy about that, I’m gonna use it mostly for recording passages of melody and such more than drums

I got it from them with 10% off for St Pattys day- BAM!!

1 Like

Maybe when you buy DT you have to sign a contract saying it will only be used as a drum Maschine.
OB will collect usage data to ensure compliance.

7 Likes

I guarantee you you cannot replicate what the OT can do with delay with a tracker from the 90s or the DT for that matter.

I never claimed that was possible >.<

1 Like

so, for the ppl complaining about price, i don’t get that. bc i can’t find anything else for this price that will sequence 8 midi tracks (new products, that is). it doesn’t seem that expensive. some are mad about the overbirdge charge and i understand but it’s not really unreasonable to ask for software upgrade fees is it?

otoh, if the sampler can’t compete with modern samplers or even an iPad, then this box feels lop-sided. when i see what the sampler is capable of, i’ll know more if this box is for me.

well it’s definitely more self-contained, focused & tactile than an iPad, and has a lot less latency. Plus it’s a proven design: AR sequencer, sample engine + new niceties. Just a completely different feel than any iPad app for sure.

What’s the closest to Digitakt app/plugin you guys can think of? I.e. sampler/step sequencer?

1 Like

Kong Drum designer in Reason. Kinda?

And unlike an iPad, it won’t lose half its value after 24 months of ownership.

3 Likes

well, we can’t really compare yet since we don’t have many functional details but…
an ipad can be controlled by numerous controllers and we have so many samplers to choose from that are not really that expensive (the ipad is though) and the sum of these combined really do offer a lot.
however, i’ll compare to one of my favorite all time samplers and one i would still use if i could upgrade the memory and processor, bc it’s pretty slow. the sp-505 has 4 parts, can send midi, waveform editing, chromatic playback, eight voices…
or another very underrated sampler, the microsampler has chromatic, time stretch, trimming, truncating, resampling, bpm synced sampling…
all i’m saying is these things can be implemented on less expensive machines. but, we still don’t know what it has to offer. i hope for the best except, i preordered the rytm, expecting midi out bc that seemed like a no-brainer. if the sampler directly sends to rytm, great except if it doesn’t trim. then, what’s the point?
regardless of sampler functionality, i feel it’s a fairly priced machine but i’m basing this solely on 8 midi track seq.

We’ve yet to see if it can handle overlapping midi events on a single track (ie: if any new note-on will trigger a note-off of any currently playing note, like the OT). For folks relying on this as a primary sequencer, that can be a real annoying thing to work around.

6 Likes

it’s gotta be doing that fo sure. would be broken otherwise.
But, related: how about retrigs, especially fast ones. e.g. 300bpm 1/80 retrigs run at 100Hz, and you could make a pattern which has 8 midi tracks filled with such retrigs, would be 1600 note on/offs per second - not sure what’s gonna happen lol :joy:

1 Like

The Electribe 2 can sequence 16 MIDI tracks. It doesn’t do step modulation (apart from pitch and volume), but it will sequence continuous modulation of certain CCs.

@void If you do any kind of app that randomises the DT I’ll pretty much buy it! (DT and app I mean)

@Olle hasn’t replied (didn’t expect him to really, but he’s chimed in on other questions since) regarding my enquiry about direct jump for patterns so for now I’m assuming that’s a hair remover, sorry I meant a no no…

I’m at the point now where I just need an excuse to pre-order!
Sold some bits this week in preparation but still hanging on :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

wait and see

1 Like

Beta testers hanging about?