Introducing Digitakt

This one I do not know yet.

At the moment no.

3 Likes

@Olle Thanks for replying dude.
Cool, i shall keep mein fingers crossed.
(ive pre-ordered it anyways)

3 Likes

I see that as feature, not as an omission. I rather have one great sounding reverb/delay on a send rather than one mediocre sounding reverb or delay on each track that eats up FX slots and DSP power like on the OT.

1 Like

Horses for courses I guess. But means can’t do things like for example have a different speed/feedback delay on a snare to the speed/feedback that you might have on a melodic sample. So no dancing/ducking sounds between each other in empty space via different delays settings. Can possibly workaround(ish) with p-locks but I thought the aim was fast workflow :wink:

Ok, that’s pretty sad. I guess you’d have to map out a Midi controller or ipad app to get some macro control then.

Sure you can do it. You just have to program it into your pattern rather than having it at the turn of one knob on your delay FX. In the end it gives you more precise control.

Not sure I get you. It’s monophonic tracks/trigs. You can’t have two things at different volumes/pitches at same time on one track? Like if you had a melodic Toms track. How can you mimic delay trails with trigs while keeping the actual pattern there? Some delays will need to fall on trigs that you’ve already got pattern trigs on?

You were talking about different delay times for different tracks, and I was saying of course you can emulate that by programming patterns accordingly and give them that dancing/ducking feel you mentioned. Nothing is holding you back. A delay just repeats a sound, that’s it. A sequencer does the same. The listener don’t care about the technicalities of how you got a certain sound. They just care about how it sounds.

1 Like

Hoping the retrig with decaying velocity curve allows us to skirt round this very problem ^

2 Likes

That’s that Cuckoo bloke behind the mask in the video, right?

6 Likes

I know what a delay is…

You can’t legit mimic a delay on a monophonic track if there is different pitch or volume trails that clash with a step you already have a pattern trig on…

You’d have to use multiple tracks.

Either way it’s ballache for a machine meant to be simple/fast etc.

I can dig why A4/AK only have send fx. You’re paying for the analog aspect mostly. But on a digital box there should be insert fx too IMHO. Like only 2 simultaneous fx in the whole box?? Or guess could also count distortion. I know the Elektron verb and delay are pretty decent but they aren’t THAT cpu heavy surely?

Good thinking :slight_smile: Still going to be monophonic tho so no dual melodic stuff or long trails…

1 Like

I wasn’t getting at you in any way it’s just I remember I used this when I had the Rytm as a workaround to that very problem of a single delay send!
You are right about mono though yeah…
Was a great feature that and should be equally effective on the DT.

Also for other midi instruments it will be another tool, my cousin pre ordered the DT and I’m going to camp outside his place until he lets me in with my ND2!

1 Like

The DT is definitely something that makes sense if it fits your needs. It didn’t make sense until my needs changed. Even though I already have my sampling needs covered, the DT appeals to me. I recently preordered a Dreadbox Abyss, and have been weighing out my options for controlling it. The DT is a compelling option; not only would I be able to polyphonically sequence the Abyss, but I could also sequence one more mono output synth and mix the two signals, add effects, samples, etc. If I was starting from scratch with my setup, the DT with a Nord A1R or Virus TI2 would seem awesome, compact, and affordable to me. I think the DT makes most sense if you think of it as a mini little rig when combined with two other synths.

3 Likes

+1 DT with a Nord A1/A1R
4 channels of midi and with the stacking feature you can get great drums and perc sounds for sampling!
And velocity morphs! She-it! With the retrig velocity curves you could carve some great expression…

Mmm this thread is adding P.S.I to my wallet :yum:

2 Likes

Yep, that’s exactly the point I am making. Should a new to be released drum machine have the same specifications/looks etc as what is out there. I respect your opinion, so please do not get me wrong here. You are okay to say what you would like to see, but you put it a bit like the DT is a dump product for the money as it does not seem to fulfill your wishes.

That’s what you think, to me 64mb = limitation = creativity = fun
It tried it on the RYTM with just 5mb of samples, it’s really amazing what you can achieve.
Based on that experience + a midi sequencer + sampling/resampling + the looks, I really like the DT and the choices been made by Elektron. So forgive me if I am enthusiastic about it… can’t help it :zonked:

2 Likes

It’s all cool mate :slight_smile: Everyone is making different kinds of music and needing different stuff. Plus we all have different finances and space in studio/live show requirements and stage setups etc.

The DT looks fun/useful and I know I’d dig using it for something or other if one magically appeared here. If it ticks enough boxes for you personally then sweet :slight_smile:

Probably half the reason I’m down on it is vague cynicism at back of my head that an OT2 or other killer new big box is gonna be overly crippled. Hopefully a big box announcement soon and those concerns squashed :wink:

lets put it this way, if the DT was out a year ago, I definitely would have bought that instead of the TR-8 and a bunch of various iOS drum apps

and i definitely would not have seen it as a replacement for any of the other elektron boxes

it fills a certian need, and it keeps everything “in the family” which is a big bonus for workflow

Im imagining it will only be 127 samples per project, unless they are radially changing how they do things and you can access any sound in your +drive in any pattern? If the latter that’s kinda cool.

2 Likes

@Olle

quick query regarding MIDI functionality:

CC?
Program Change?
Notes per MIDI Track?

cheers,
C