Introducing Digitakt

No, this is just an extrapolation of Olle’s post.
The Digitakt is an effort to make our workflow more streamlined. This means that it is easier for beginners to approach the instrument, but it does not mean that it is exclusively designed for beginners.

Secondly, just because an instrument or tool is simple® it doesn’t meant that the end product (music in this case) is going to be simple.

18 Likes

At the moment i am doing a project in tech module assembly. It is almost impossible to make these kind of electronic stuff with machines only. It is possible to optimize the assembly process (like we do with augmented reality), but cannot be automated.

Moog uses this for their marketing. Consumers love authentic, real Products. Consumers love craftmanship. If moog makes their products manually, they can use this in their marketing communication.

Expensive production countries like sweden, Holland or (a little less expensive) usa managed to become competitieve again because they are good in optimizing creation process with flexibel workers and high quality products. Especially in hi tech electronic equipment assembly. (Low volume high tech)

2 Likes

this is a huge step forward for me. I’m a total fan boy, have owned every release twice (apart from sidstation & AK).
I can use elektron devices without thinking, but still a sampler with a more streamlined simple file / save system was top of my list. I can’t wait :slight_smile: woop

1 Like

Yeah looks like you’ve done great job in simplifying stuff in general for people that got scared by OT :slight_smile:

I’m just saying that without stuff like global drumkits and slices on a 2017 digital drum machine, maybe you went a little too far. Simple for simple sake makes no sense. People aren’t that stupid that they couldn’t figure stuff like that out, especially over time, which is one of the cool/rewarding things about OT/AK. You kind of work through it all in stages if you’re a beginner, as I was when I grabbed my OT. And you’re continually like ‘wow, didn’t think of doing this before’. My AK too. Making stuff simple is most impressive when it takes complicated concepts and makes them understandable/useable for people that struggle with them. Not just ommit them entirely :wink:

And my reply was in response to someone saying this was all down to being a small company/not mass producing… You’re kind of taking my points out of context.

Edit - and stuff like no insert fx, only one lfo per track (is this the same on the midi tracks?) feel less like ‘simplifying’ and more like carefully hacking stuff off in considerstion to other, older products. Without taking in to account that it isn’t only the OT out there these days as a watermark… And OT cpu power should be more affordable on a new machine now - 3 lfo, or at least 2, seems a no-brainer. And wouldn’t have made it any more complicated/less simple… Just a very confusing set of ‘pros + cons’ on this box… I’m sure it’ll be great, but still…

5 Likes

I own an OT, AR and A4. But I really looking forward to welcome the DT tot the family.
Why? Because I like the different approach and of course an 8 track midi-sequencer + sampling/resampling.
Again, simplifying does not mean you can’t go crazy with it.
I like the idea of not having drum kits, just save the settings of your sound per pattern.
In this way you can use one sample/sound in various ways per pattern/track without having to save it also inside a kit. It’s another workflow, which I thinks works faster as well.

What is a 2017 drum machine???
As in, what should we wear for clothes/shoes in 2017
How do we look in 2017
What is a 2017 car?

I like Elektron for the fact they have the guts to choose for a different approach.
Besides that I really like the new and fresh design of the DT.
What I also like is that it’s not a RYTM LE, of course it inherits some of it’s bigger/older brother,
but it’s also a total new and fresh product, both attractive to new customers as well to the fanboys.

Just saying… :loopy:

2 Likes

I 'am with you AlienInterference
I watch the movie The Age of Tomorrow with Savior Sampling Day
Fan guy

Erm, toraiz, mpc live, electribe es2, ot, rytm, Deluge, op1 (admittedly kind of weak in a lot of ways, but it’s total uniqueness/portability adds a ton of value) … Could probably go on. DT seems to sit inside that list as ‘Pretty good. Pretty comparable box overall I guess’. Don’t normally expect that from Elektron…They’re normally clearly front of the pack at whatever they turn their hand to. Maybe they were just too generous in past :wink: Other companies are catching up tho now, so it’s a little late to cut back…

The two functions needn’t be mutually exclusive?

This is kind of a funny way to see it? There’s very little different/‘new’ about this box from what I’ve seen so far. It seems made unique mostly by ommisions/which existing functions have been cherry picked or not? Besides the new ‘workflow’. (a lot been said about this. Guessing in reality it just means like one less button press to sample/save a sample etc than on OT? Can’t see it being ‘that’ different. Curious to see whats so different… OT isnt ‘that’ hard/slow. Obvs not like using an Sp404 but I doubt this is either due to naming samples etc).

Bpm per pattern/midi conditional trigs/the Samplr start end loop window function… All pretty cool but not in exchange for basic/existing sampler functions. And I’d guess we’ll see those new features on their next big boxes (or will we…), which I’d expect to do a lot more besides, plus all the old staples, and maybe that’s when I’ll get hyped again.

To each their own tho, hope you dig it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

1 Like

So anybody know if it can edit the sample length and truncate? With wave form display? Sample bpm locked loops?

Why are these basic questions not getting answered? My guess is that it cannot. But idk.

I do often wonder why old machines (like 30-40 yrs old even) can do the same stuff, if not more, than many modern machines.

2 Likes

He never said that all the kit functionality is completely gone. I am curious to see what alternative they have come up with.

1 Like

Sounds like it’s still there in as much as you can have whatever sounds you want per pattern.

I was talking about a browsable library of global drumkits/sets of 8 sounds. Like DT has for individual ‘sounds’. No brainer useful feature from my POV.

14 posts were split to a new topic: Off topic side discussion from Introducing DT thread

You are mentioning different drum machines, that’s clear, but what makes these 2017 drum machines?
It’s something what you picture as a drum machine (in 2017), but you say it as every drum machine which is going to be released now or in the near future should meet these particular specifications/requirements your keep on bringing to the table. Why should 64mb sample memory not qualify the DT as a ‘modern’ drum sampler? Same for not having drum kits. That’s what I am trying to say with their guts to choose for a different approach. But let’s wait until it’s out there and we have really tried the DT.

1 Like

Not trying to be overly negative here but based on the specs, Digitakt unfortunately follows the Elektron tradition in that even though it seems like a very clever device, it is crippled in some ways so that it doesn’t overlap with their other products.

I mean it would seem to me it could be a sort of “mini Octatrack” instead of just a drum machine with quite small additions.

That said, I am looking forward to the demos Cenk is cooking. Hopefully we see and hear them soon.

1 Like

Dude it’s not what ‘i’ picture as a drum machine. They are real boxes, with real functions, real prices. Go to the store, they exist :wink: And a few of them aren’t even that recent…

Remember when Toraiz came out and everyone was slating it comparing it to OT/rytm depth? Everyone thought it was fair to compare those? Tides look like they kinda turned on this one… Or is it only cool/valid to compare features to other boxes when Elektron win? Seems some double standards going on possibly…

I’m saying if you think it’s cool to ‘pay more for less’ because of the benefits of a simplified workflow then all good, I can see that being valid for some people, not gonna try to persuade you otherwise. But look around or at past Elektron boxes. Feels like a bum deal to me. I’m mostly referring to missing staple sampling features that could be there without making things any less simple.

Im not really even really talking about stuff like ram etc, 64mb is fine on OT, if it’s just for drums. But obvs ram etc is cheaper now than when OT dropped, and equivalent processors etc. So there are savings there for Elektron and 64mb is pretty lame looking at some other boxes if you’re thinking about what you get for your money…

Just can’t get hyped about something that feels intentionally crippled pretty badly or ‘bare minimum’ in a lot of areas. Both in functions and the hardware.

Curious for videos that show it off tho, maybe I’m making a really inaccurate judgement of it.

I personally think that word of mouth is a great factor in the buying decision in 2017, i personally , and everyone i know, checks Amazon reviews before deciding to buy a product. I belive the same is true for electronic music instruments.
If your potential customers complain before the product is out, that is not a good sign for the sales perspective.

A lot of customers here want Electron company to succeed, i think that is why a lot of negative comments arise. We want your products, Electron has done impressive Instruments over the last decade, and we hope you impress us again.

Maybe Digitakt opens up new ways for beeing creative, Analog Heat was a lot better in real live than from the specs on paper, a lot of guys were convinced after having a go with the device. If we didnt care, we wouldnt post about this development /future product. I personally think that CalloftheVoid is a very loyal fanboy to the Elektron brand, and that is why he made a lot of statements, where he wants to see improvements on the specs of the Digitakt. I dont think that he wants to troll Elektron, he also wants Elektron to succeed.

5 Likes

Yeah for sure, I’m a massive Elektron fan! Hence the disappointment. Hopefully I’m wrong about DT or its just a blip that was never aimed for me anyway and the next thing’ll blow my mind again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel like we haven’t really learned anything new about the DT since January 19. Can we please hear what the effects and filters sound like? Are they even ready yet?

1 Like

You will in the upcoming videos by Cenk. He will go into these details.

Cenk will demonstrate how this works as well. What I can tell is that you can set your start and end point of the sample playback, view it as a waveform in the display, you can pitch it to match the BPM but no time-stretching.

8 Likes

@Olle Can you chop it tho, as in delete unwanted portions of the sample at either end? (to save sample space if you sample a large piece while only wanting a small section of it for example)

and will there be any ctrl-all kind of function?

:slight_smile:

1 Like