Inspiring Octa-mangling vids?

Hey, can anyone point me in the direction of any clips showing a variety of sample mangling possibilities on the OT?

The knobs vid is gorgeous, but then he could make a shoelace sound great :star_struck:

Dataline’s promo clip gives me a small idea what to expect too. But I’d like to get a better picture of what people are talking about with the limitless sound mangling potential and happy accidents, and what I’m mostly coming across is people rearranging drum loops etc. But perhaps my YouTube-Fu needs honing :slight_smile:

Cheers in advance!

2 Likes

10 Likes

and check his videos, you’ll find gold in this mine

9 Likes

Check out YT videos from @defenestration
EDIT: lol, didn’t realize the video above was one of his :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

would be great to have a special challenge just between @sezare56 and @defenestration

( couldn’t resist )

5 Likes

Sounds great man, seems to work perfectly for those live stutters + glitches etc. Thanks for the demo!

For now I’m thinking in terms of something to use as an experimental ideas platform, but I’m not getting a real idea of what it’ll allow me to do that I can’t already in Ableton

That’s a really far out example I posted, @sezare56 is the bomb…
That’s all real live audio warping made from his guitar, there’s no samples and it won’t even make sound until he plays and the OT warps the guitar into a full groove with drums in real time… :smiley:

Here’s some audio of a couple different things that are sampled in realtime by OT and overlayed over the original loop as a compliment. Not a track or anything just a concept demo. It’s three different clips run through the same sliced up flex remix track, just changing the source sample loop and getting different useable results…

6 Likes

Really interesting channel - Cheers!

2 Likes

@nedrush has some fun tutorials, here is a pretty nice one, I’m not so into jungle/breaks but this kept me bopping.

9 Likes

Hah I didn’t know he was on OT now… Been watching Ned stuff for years.

Drink beer and chop breaks… Can’t argue with that

4 Likes

I never heard of him before seeing his OT vids, but I checked a few of them out and they are all pretty decent, and good fun.

Here is a really old one I did, aside from the beat the only other sound used was an Isley Brothers 2 bar loop.

7 Likes

This one I did for an old science lab, the whole track is made from the Wilhelm Scream sample heard right at the start:

14 Likes

I’m a sucker for those filter intros so you had me straightaway :sunglasses: Great sample selection. Are you mostly playing around / LFOing(?) the sample start or what’s actually going on to glitch it up? With perhaps a bit more structure to the tweaking it could be a wee banger

1 Like

(that was about the first vid btw)

Really nice sound design in the Scream one… I think I’d learn a lot attempting a challenge like that one

1 Like

Pretty much LFO on volume, bit of filtering, timestretch, and of course slices and crossfader.

I remember that @pselodux had some great OT videos on their YT channel

3 Likes

holy fuck, how did I miss that! Amazing!

thanks for linking :smiley: My stuff isn’t nearly as impressive as some other recent mangling, but I’m working on a few new techniques…

2 Likes

I’d say 99% of the videos i’ve seen on the OT have been inspiring mangling videos. That learning curve has a way of keeping people who are unsure, off camera.