"IDM in box"

I’ve frequently observed this label applied to a range of Elektron’s instruments, especially the Machinedrum and Octatrack. While I’m not particularly fond of the IDM label per se and its snobby connotations, it has some utility, and it’s a style that, for me, is often applied to two of my all-time favourite artists, Squarepusher and Aphex Twin (apologies, no points for originality there).

On Gear Tube, I’ve come across some remarkable Aphex Twin-style compositions and covers using various Elektron devices, notably the Digitakt and Model:Cycles. However, I’ve not found any such example for the Octatrack.

I’m keen to explore the Octatrack as my next instrument and would appreciate any recommendations of notable videos/performances of Aphex Twin or Squarepusher-esque music using (primarily) this device.

(Curiously, one of the most impressive examples of - what I consider - this style of music being played/produced on a single device is Wob303 - on the OP1f, surprisingly! You can see some examples here: https://www.youtube.com/user/wob303)

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

It is probably worth checking out these threads as well:

12 Likes

Welcome welcome! I’d consider the Octatrack to be maybe the most “IDM in a box” of all the Elektrons, though when I say that, I’m mostly thinking of what the OT is capable of and not necessarily any specific videos/artists/sounds.

I always recommend Max Marco when it comes to high-level Octatrack usage — here’s a random track of his that certainly has Aphex vibes, and I’d recommend scouring the rest of his channel for in-depth discussions of specific OT techniques.

20 Likes

Oh and check @sezare56’s SoundCloud and activity here. He’s the pusher I have in mind, some good tips.

10 Likes

This is brilliant

1 Like

When mentioning “aphex twin like tracks / programming” it’s slways a good idea to refer to specific tracks. As his rhythms are so versatile. He does techno-influenced, drum n bass -influenced and electro 130-140bpm influenced beats. On Syro it is more techno-electro and this is without torturing yourself not that complicated on any XOX style step sequencer. His late 90’s - early 2000 drill n bass programming is a bit more complicated on these kind of sequencers. But certainly doable. Octatrack, Rytm, Model:Cycles. It’s all pretty much the same principle. The only difference is sampling - no sampling.

5 Likes

And Squarepusher is mostly either crazy ultra fast drill n bass/acid dnb, dub-reggae influenced beats or “half time” hip hop vibes in the 80-90 BPM range, or no drums at all. For the former I would use a computer though unless you enjoy torture :smiley:

The things that are missing from Elektrons, and would make life easier are:

• choke groups
  • meter change / grid division switches without changing the speed of the playhead
  • portamento (except for Syntakt)
1 Like

machinedrum thru octatrack FX is my favourite combination

11 Likes

2 drum chains and a break, scene B is set to the last slice in each chain. just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what you can do

6 Likes

While I love it all, I’m surprised not to even find any reworking or jams from SAWI or other 90s classics (Flim, 4 etc)- as you often see for other groove boxes. Let alone stuff like Vordhosbn (Digiphex has a greate cover of this on the Polyend Play, for exanple. But like I said, even “in the style of” type material such as this on the OP1F:

or

4 Likes

Rytm has choke groups, and Digitone has portamento.

2 Likes

But does it have IDM inside the box?

1 Like

Some IDMesque Amen Break mangling…I’m am not interested in making AFX covers at all, but he has always been inspiring for me.

18 Likes

Hi there @jonahiggins, welcome to the community! Hope some of what has already been shared will inspire you, whether you delve into an octatrack or not. Here are some examples I could find for you-

5 Likes

Try removing the screws and see it yourself.

OT has Octaspiders in the box.
They can be very efficient for IDM.

8 Likes

It sounds a bit stimming to me.

1 Like

Imo @ylva is peak Octatrack!
While not really IDM, they have elements of IDM in their fantastic music!

1 Like

i might as well toot my own horn…
While not really IDM, this jam was isnpired by SOPHIE. Im stacking compressors and going hog wild on the chorus… it might inspire some ideas for you :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Which one, I’ve seen a few of his reviews but have never actually listened to any of his music?

1 Like