iBook 'Cookbook'

I have now converted the quick reference guide to iBook format and put on the Apple Store for sale. This will be the version updated periodically although the older free pdf still exists. The new iBook though does contain more new content.

Trailer Video Here (OP-1 Version Coming Soon)

Store

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-analog-four-cookbook/id805893430?ls=1&mt=11

Thanks
Neil

Pretty nice just downloaded it. The are weird red squares and rectangles over images… Why?

Very useful, thanks for this. Just bought.

dimi3, red blocks are just part of the the design template i wanted, red and black was the design theme for the A4 cookbook, blue and black for the OP-1 cookbook (TBA) and so on as i develop any others.

I buy whatever people from the community make just to support it, got this immediately!

If I may, a few remarks:

The book is a concise well-done reference book. Having read the manual a few times, there is no new information in the cookbook, it’s just presented in a short easy-to-find way.

However, it’s not what I expected from a cookbook :slight_smile:
I would have liked to see “recipes” on how to do certain things, tips, tutorials. Not a reiteration of what to press, even if that is useful for reference.

Your first page states:
“Cookbook: A publication that contains a collection of recipes. Modern versions include illustrations and instructions. They offer a range of advice and guidance giving the opportunity to experiment and change the original recipe suggestion.”

I didn’t find any recipe in the book.

As a novice in the synth world I would have also liked your book to explain certain concepts. How is the filter envelope used? What is the gate? I have figured these things out myself, but I would expect them to be explained better in a cookbook.

By no means do I want to sound whiny, but I think cookbook is not what it is. It’s an excellent reference manual.

This is such a great initiative Neil! Kudos!!

Jon,
does this mean Elektron is cool with artwork being used in commercial 3rd party work?
I’ve asked Cenk about this (analog four iPad app… ) but didn’t get a definitive answer.

It depends on the project. In this case Neil mailed and I approved.

Tend to agree… The closest to a recipe is the appendix. Will it be an evolving book?

Dear All, Firstly Thanks to Jon at Elektron for support. Some images are also custom ones used just for the book. I do plan for it to evolve and develop. The concept came from the idea of getting started quickly and taking a step by step approach to how to do things using the A4. Its is designed as quick reference. As more information and content is gathered i will try to update, especially as new features come along.

The dilema of charging or not was a tough one. There is no intent for any major capitalisation or profiteering but when i look at some tools and resources i have invested in just to do online tutorials, guides etc then it builds up. If i can cover some costs as i go along then i think a few dollars contribution helps. Plus i do think it carries a value.

I welcome any feedback and ill try to make it bigger and better over time. Please leave specific comments or feedback on iTunes please.

Thank you enormously for supporting the project

Neil

I got an A4 a few weeks ago so just bought this. I’ve always got my iPad to hand when in the studio so it should be a very handy reference.

I’ve left you a quick review on iTunes.

Thanks

Ritchie, hey, is it available for countries outside US? US iBooks store insists that I should use my country store to pay, which is Russia. Can I paypal you instead? Thanks

I bought in from iTunes UK.

I can’t speak for others, but you should get something for your work! I think though the discussion I would like to see opened up here is how to turn this into a true cook book. it is a great Idea. Look at the Arduino, they make little snippets of code and now everyone can code up a microprocessor.

What is the path to making the make a song appendix into more stuff.

The book is released in 51 countries but i don’t think Apple have Russia in the standard list. Ill check how to get it on iTunes Russia. I can’t distribute any other way that iTunes / iBooks due to contractual terms on distribution

hi, i have mountain lion, ibook app is available for lion?
where i find the latest update pdf?
tnx

Looks interesting but if its just a rehash of the small manual Eletktron give you why charge $5?

Amnesia. Based on the feedback and usage of the Quick Reference Guide which served to offer a simplified walkthrough approach and be a foundation to expand, it was clear most people found it of value alongside the official manual.
i felt for the price less than a beer it was worth it. The Elektron manual offers an alternative and people are free to buy or not to buy the iBook. If its not worth anything then demand will validate that. It won’t make me rich looking at what i have spent doing the OP-1 and A4 quick refs and videos its doing a good job making me skint. lol

I believe its compatible with the latest iBook 3 format or later, iOS 5.1 or later, OSX 10.9 or later. There is a PDF (with less content and older OS ver) in links called Quick Ref.

I can’t speak for others, but you should get something for your work! I think though the discussion I would like to see opened up here is how to turn this into a true cook book. it is a great Idea. Look at the Arduino, they make little snippets of code and now everyone can code up a microprocessor.

What is the path to making the make a song appendix into more stuff.[/quote]
Dimi3 i appreciate your comments and any expansion ideas and more content ideas I want to consider and develop. Your point re cookbook is the fundamental element to move this from just a quick ref to a more intensive advanced guide over time and depending on interest. I hope people see enough value to buy it even though its not about the money, seems like i plough it back into these things, guides, videos etc. For example the www.go-p1.net OP-1 resource site costs me about 170 bucks a year to run and had 4 in donations lol