@Eaves / Ivar Tryti’s Music

Digitakt Sketch #39 Zowie (December 6th 2019)

There’s been little time to make music lately, and it feels good when I find some uninterrupted time to play with the Digitakt. Lately I’ve been trying to figure out how to use FL Studio’s piano roll together with the Digitakt, and I think I’ve found a nice solution.

I made a template in FL Studio with 8 midi outs and 8 instances of 3xOsc. The midi outs are set to the same port as the Digitakt, and they’re all set to tracks 1 to 8. The 3xOscs are locked so they only receive midi from the Digitakt, one midi track each. The midi tracks do not trigger the 3xOscs, they instead only trigger the Digitakt. And when the Digitakt plays or is triggered, the 3xOscs are triggered. That way I can use the piano roll on the midi outs to quickly create chord progressions and melodies, then live-record them onto the Digitakt. When they’re on the Digitakt, I can mute the midi outs and continue using the Digitakt as the brain of the setup. Replacing the 3xOscs with different VSTs doesn’t change the midi channel routing, so it seems like a really convenient setup so far!

The reason I go through all this trouble is that I am a lot faster with the piano roll than with the sequencer, but I’m more inspired and having more fun when arranging the track live on the Digitakt. This setup lets me get the best of both worlds with minimal effort :slight_smile:

Also the track title is a reference to the villain in Guitaroo Man. The chord progression I ended up using made me think of the final track in that awesome game :smiley:

4 Likes

Digitone Sketch #10 Train (December 8th 2019)

I brought my Digitone on the train the other day. If everything goes well, I have about an hour of uninterrupted time to make some patches or music. Not the most comfortable place to play with music hardware, but it’s a nice alternative to listening to a podcast or sleeping.

I made patterns 1 and 2 on the train ride, and later when I got home I made patterns 9 and 10 to add more variation. I made the melodic patches from scratch, though the drums are heavily tweaked factory presets. I was afraid I would run out of polyphony; the bass has a 2 voice chorus and there’s a 4 note arp, the long pad on T1 sometimes has 2 notes, and the drums play up to 3 notes at a time. I’m really pleased that I didn’t even notice the voice stealing after allocating voices to the different tracks.

All audio is coming form the Digitone, though I added a preamp simulator and multiband compressor in post to warm up the sound and even out the peaks.

6 Likes

Yep, that DN sings everytime you play it haha. Sick!

1 Like

Hehe thanks a lot, @selfup!

1 Like

To be honest I quite don’t really understand that workflow even after reading it a few times. Could you maybe make a tutorial video about it - sounds super interesting!

1 Like

I love this track! One of the best Digitone performances I have seen so far - superb!

2 Likes

Thank you very much! Which workflow are you thinking about? If it’s the FL Studio midi thing, then I’m actually thinking about making a video on it. I got a tip on software to use to record my screen, so I gotta give that a try =)

Yep, the MIDI workflow “thing” :smiley: Would be awesome - love your tutorials - they are different (in a good way) than most stuff out there! Keep it up!

1 Like

Hehe thanks again man!

‘synthesizers, yo’ sample challenge Digitakt (December 11th 2019)

On the discord server ‘synthesizers, yo’, in the secret channel #insufferable_elektron_worship, we came up with the idea of doing a sample challenge. Anyone could chip in with one 16 second long sample each, and the challenge was to make a track using at least a bit of every sample. Here’s my take!

I used a total of six samples:
T1: my drums
T2: also my drums
T3: my drums again
T4: Shor’s crazy noise
T5: VanMalloc’s bass and synth
T6: Sakana’s glitchy bleeps
T7: Tudd’s piano
T8: Ilmai’s strings

Thanks for the fun challenge, guys!

All audio is coming from the Digitakt, with a mulitband compressor added in post.

3 Likes

Digitakt Sketch #11 Return Trip (December 17th 2019)

I brought the Digitone with me for another train trip, and started work on this track. I finished the track before going to sleep. I’m slowly working my way through Death Stranding, which was an inspiration when making this.I was also inspired by the anime series Mushishi when making the arp patch and melody, but being an FM synth, the Digitone works really well for sci-fi background music :smiley:

There was a lot of lock trigs everywhere to slowly modulate the sound in ways that two LFO’s can’t do on their own. One trick I like a lot is to slowly add more and more reverb and delay, and also increase the cutoff frequency and vibrato as longer notes trail off to make this distant, lonely mood. Very satisfying!

All audio is coming from the Digitone, with some light mastering in post.

Track from scratch on Digitakt/Digitone (December 29th 2019)

I’m making a downtempo trip hop beat from scratch using the Digitakt and Digitone in this video. I do my best to explain my thought process along the way, but sometimes I go into a flow state and forget I’m recording a video.

Stop me if this is the wrong place, but I have launched a Patreon page! https://www.patreon.com/ivartryti
The main bulk of my content is going to stay free, but if you’d like to support me then you will also get access to:

• My home made drum loops and other samples
  • Digitone patches
  • Wav files for my tracks as soon as I upload a new video
  • Priority when it comes to video requests
1 Like

I’m making a downtempo trip hop beat from scratch using the Digitakt and Digitone in this video. I do my best to explain my thought process along the way, but sometimes I go into a flow state and forget I’m recording a video.

Stop me if this is the wrong place, but I have launched a Patreon page! https://www.patreon.com/ivartryti
The main bulk of my content is going to stay free, but if you’d like to support me then you will also get access to:

• My home made drum loops and other samples
  • Digitone patches
  • Wav files for my tracks as soon as I upload a new video
  • Priority when it comes to video requests

Thanks for watching!

Digitakt & Digitone #14 Contingency (January 1st 2020)

Since my last video, I have reached 3,5k subs. Thanks a lot, everyone! I am also really grateful for the positive reception of my Patreon launch. Seriously, thank you very much for the support.

I made a DnB style track using the Digitakt and Digitone. I wanted to do one last track before 2020, but I didn’t make it in time. Instead, here’s the first track of this year!

I made the drums by running a bunch of drum samples and Drumaxx patches through a stack of preamp, compressor, distortion, reverb and other plugins, then sampled them into the Digitakt for further chopping. I rarely work in BPMs higher than 110, so I was slightly overwhelmed when performing this track. It took some practice to finally get it mostly right :slight_smile:

All audio is coming from the Digitakt and Digitone, with a multiband compressor added in post.

Thanks for watching!

Digitakt Sketch #40 High Effort Low Payoff (January 4th 2020)

I’m usually very good at taking breaks when I feel like I’m pushing myself to make music. This time I kept going even if it was break time. I should do it too often or I might burn myself out!

I planned on recording each track separately in FL Studio for greater control, but I find that I get choice paralysis whenever I try this. I feel I get a more cohesive result when I just do everything (or mostly everything) on the Digitakt itself.

All audio is coming from the Digitakt, with a multiband compressor and a preamp plugin added in post.

Digitakt Sketch #41 I Wish I Had An SP404 (January 5th 2020)

I hate the gearlust that often comes when checking out new gear. Among the things I’m interested in trying out, an FX unit is one of them, particularly the SP404. It’s a sampler that is often used for its FX.

To fight this, I made a track where the main goal was to convince myself I don’t need more gear, because I have FL Studio and 8 midi tracks on the Digitakt to trigger FX plugins.

I set the following tracks to enable/disable these master FX:
Track 9: reverb (Effector)
Track 10: flanger (Effector)
Track 11: delay (Fruity Delay 3)
Track 12: hp filter (Effector)
Track 13: reverse (gross beat)
Track 14: stutter 1/4th (gross beat)
Track 15: scratch (gross beat)

Thanks for listening!

bandcamp: https://ivartryti.bandcamp.com
spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/4ds91
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/ivartryti

Special thanks to my patrons 16AM, Daniel Solomon, Distreal, dreamsaremaps, Chanse Macabre, Erik Suplicz, Farfadet, Fernando, Gianfranco Cecconi, James Beeson, Jase Vaughan, Joshua Steele, Kade Sullivan, Kevin Berg, LeeTronix, Lorne Ashley, Niels, Per Nilsson, PlumWrinkles, retro Mod, Sebastian Schmidt, Stefan Tolksdorf, steven caicedo, Teodor Dumitrache, Thomas Erdmann, thomas zoechling, Tobias Cowan, and XC3N!

Samples used:
Track 1: DMA_23_2
Track 2: BAO4
Track 3: ride_005 (The Lo-Fi Box)
Track 4: tom_040a (The Lo-Fi Box)
Track 5: BASS_BUZZ
Track 6: 5THBP2
Track 7: 5THBP2
Track 8: PIANO TH1 and PIANO TH2

7 Likes

Damn this is dope as /!&$

1 Like

Thank you very much!

your videos are actually helping my retirement account. I’m feeling less like buying new gear and selling gear I have just to narrow it down to the DT and my OTMKii thus throwing my ebay and Reverb.com money into my M1finance account :wink:. Please keep making videos so I can fight GAS along with you.

Eaves - keeps you from getting GAS!

2 Likes

Hehe thank you very much @turbiville! I’m glad to hear I’m helping you treat GAS :stuck_out_tongue:. If a new piece of gear suddenly looks like the perfect addition, I’ll do my best to prove that wrong using what I already have =D

1 Like

Great idea.

I bet it would be fun to send a MIDI sequence from the DT to an effects unit like the KP3 that takes MIDI, to sequence the effects. That should work, no?

1 Like

I think it could work, @digiwut. I haven’t tried a kaoss pad before, but that’s basically what the plugin I used for reverb and chorus is based on.

Digitakt & Digitone #16 Revisit (January 13th 2020)

It’s been a busy week. The little free time I had was pretty much all spent on music, but I just wasn’t able to finish anything I started! I spent time experimenting with the Digitakt’s midi track, both making them trigger FX in FL Studio and setting up templates for controlling VSTs from the Digitakt. Yesterday I realized I didn’t finish my tracks because I got too distracted, there were too many fun things to play with! This morning I got the Digitakt and Digitone out to the living room and made this track.

I also tried to “annotate” my button presses, including a poorly timed pattern switch at 2:27 :P. This took way longer that I expected, haven’t decided if I’m gonna do this for every video. Let me know what you think!

All audio is coming from the Digitakt and Digitone, with a free preamp plugin (Audio Damage SGA1566) and a multiband compressor (Image-Line Maximus) added in post.

Thanks for listening!

6 Likes

#11 Return Trip is a great piece, but that distorted bass patch is really impressive. Well done!

1 Like

Thank you! I made that patch while practicing for making that Digitone bass tutorial, happened to land on a sweet spot =D