@Eaves / Ivar Tryti’s Music

Digitakt Orchestra Midi Test (October 29th 2019)

I experimented with using the Digitakt to sequence an orchestral library called East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra. I was given the gold edition as a combined birthday and christmas present maybe 15 years ago and have upgraded it bit by bit over the years.

I’m still trying to figure out a good way to combine the Digitakt and FL Studio. I made these two loops while trying out different midi settings, and I only used 1 of the Digitakt’s audio tracks just to have some drums going.

My computer is NOT up to the task. While performing, I had a ridiculous amount of underruns and crackling. You can hear the orchestra VST lagging behind for a bit at 2:02. At that point all I heard was crackling and had to guess my mute timing :smiley:

The thing I want to learn the most is how to parameter lock program changes per trig so I can change articulations without having to use a 2nd midi track. I did get it to work at one point, but as soon as I added a new instrument they tripped each other up.

(VST) Instruments used:
T9: viola
T10: double bass
T11: violin
T12: flute

Thanks for watching!

3 Likes

That beat is slammin’. Great DN textures as well.

1 Like

Thank you!

Digitakt Sketch #36 Town With Inn and Shops (October 31st 2019)

I’m hugely inspired by Japanese roleplaying games and Studio Ghibli. After I’m done typing this, I’m gonna play Dragon Quest 11. Please excuse the shoddy keyboard timing!

I’ve had the Digitakt for 8 months now, but this is the first time I’ve used a midi keyboard to input notes into the sequencer. It’s amazing :O.

The orchestral library I used is called East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra, and I used the following instruments:
T8: my favorite piano sample (C7 from FL Studio Mobile’s piano)
T9: violins
T10: double bass
T11: Oboe
T12: violas
T13: harp

This track was really fun to make, but I think next time I’m gonna sequence the piano and not play it live. It takes a lot more effort when playing live.

Thanks for listening!

4 Likes

Fantastic! Using a MIDI board with the DT is really the only way to go. I loved the song, felt like it could have been from Ni no Kuni.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve yet to play that game, but now that it’s on Steam I need to make time for it :blush:

1 Like

Digitakt&Digitone #12 Underutilized (November 3rd 2019)

Lately I feel like I haven’t been using the Digitone enough. A lot of time has gone into experimenting with orchestral stuff on the Digitakt alone, so I decided to make a small beat with the Digitakt & Digitone combo.

One thing I always struggle with when using these boxes together is that I always feel the need to use all the tracks, all the time. I think I managed to make an interesting beat despite only using 2 of the 8 available tracks on the Digitakt used the Digitone for bass, chords and lead.

I also tried going for a higher BPM than my safezone of around 75-85 BPM. With 110 BPM, I ended up with a slightly more upbeat track than my usual stuff :smiley:

I noticed after recording that the boxes aren’t aligned. Sorry about that!

All audio is coming from the Digitakt and Digitone, though with a multiband compressor added in post.

5 Likes

Digitakt Sketch #37 Thank You Headroom (November 8th 2019)

I tried doing a faster paced IDM-esque track inspired by Squarepusher and Aphex Twin. It’s a bit repetitive, but I had a lot of fun making this one!

I started working on this track on the train after work. I made the drum loop on track 1 from scratch because few of my home made drum loops suited such a high BPM.

I called this track “Thank You Headroom” because the Digitakt usually outputs rather low volume when recording into a DAW via Overbridge. I cranked up the drums and compressor, and the recording would have clipped if it wasn’t for the huge headroom.

All audio is coming from the Digitakt, with a multiband compressor added in post.

Thanks for listening!

9 Likes

Holy cow, this beat’s groovy af! Nice track Ivar!!!

3 Likes

Hehe thank you very much @LyingDalai! A bit different from my usual stuff, and more than twice my usual bpm!

1 Like

WTF…my DT must be broken. it NEVER sounds like that.
that was super good. you really use it well.

5 Likes

Haha, thank you @phaelam!

DT&DN #13 Wilting Wallflower (November 11th 2019)

I like to rehearse only a few times before recording a jam, but I think I may have taken it too far this time. I rarely make music in 180BPM, and there’s so much more to keep track of! I thought I would name this track “Too Many Buttons 2”, but since i used the same flute riff from Wallflower (my 4th track on the Digitakt), I went with “Wilting Wallflower”.

I was very close to not recording this track, but I thought maybe it could be interesting to see what it looks like when I lose track of things :smiley:

All audio is coming from the Digitakt and Digitone, with a multiband compressor added in post.

Thanks for watching!

4 Likes

Breakdown of DT#37 Thank You Headroom (November 17th 2019)

I’m making one of my tracks from scratch and explaining my process in this video. Thanks for the requests, everyone!

00:00 - Intro and demo
01:33 - Seting up reverb, delay and compressor
03:58 - Setting up the drums on track 1 (Overdrive, bit reduction, LFO)
06:48 - Making a simple drum pattern
09:27 - neat trick: boosting kicks with a HP filter
11:00 - Using LFO to make drums more snappy
11:57 - Making the drums retrigger when pressing the Fill button
13:48 - making the hihats
16:23 - Copying track 1 to track 3 and adding delay (and completing the drum pattern)
20:50 - Copying track 1 to track 4 and changing sample
23:09 - Setting up the bass on track 5
26:58 - Making the bassline
29:00 - Changing note length at random
30:55 - Setting up the pad on track 6
33:10 - Using lock trigs to change play direction on the pad
35:58 - Weird delay trick
38:34 - When to use the fill button
40:39 - SAVE YOUR PROJECT

Digitone Sketch #9 Travel Light (November 18th 2019)

I’ve been playing Death Stranding lately and have been really inspired by it. It’s an odd game with incredible atmosphere, and I’m really enjoying it so far :slight_smile:

I figured out a workaround for doing 3/4 time signature on the Digitakt and Digitone. The trick is to make 3 trigs play in the space of 4 trigs by using microtiming, then leaving the 4th trig blank. Took a bit of getting used to, but it’s a tiny bit of work that lets me page between steps as easy as if I was using a 4/4 time signature.

All audio is coming from the Digitone, with a multiband compressor added in post.

Digitakt & Digitone #14 One Week Later (November 26th 2019)

Thank you for subscribing, all 3000 of you! I really appreciate the support and kind words I’ve gotten since I started uploading. Thanks for sticking around :slight_smile:

It’s been a week since I last uploaded a track, hence the title. This time I used a plugin called Drumaxx, a physical modeling drum synth as the sound source for my drums, and applied my usual too-much-compression and distortion, then sampled it onto the Digitakt. I think the drum sounds it makes can be a bit too synthy, but they worked really well when adding a bit of FX.

I’ve also been watching Adventure Time and I really love the songs there. The melody in the middle part of this track was inspired by this one particular song with Marceline and the Ice King.

All audio is coming from the Digitakt and Digitone, with a multiband compressor and a tube amp simulator thing added in post.

Digitakt Sketch #38 It’s Gone Now (November 29th 2019)

I figured out a nice way to combine the Digitakt’s sequencer with FL Studio’s piano roll. The piano part of this track was first drawn in the piano roll, then live-recorded onto the Digitakt. This lets me use the super fast workflow of the piano roll, but tie everything into the Digitakt so that all the patterns and sequences are all coming from one place.

I also experimented with a new way of putting together a beat on 1 track. As usual, I pick a drum loop I made earlier and set start points to “slice” it up, but lately I’ve been using a hp filter to boost the kicks. It can become a bit cumbersome when I want the cutoff and resonance to be at different values for kicks and snares. To make this easier, I duplicated the entire track several times, then dedicated each new track to 1 part of the sample (1 track for kick, 1 for snare, 1 for hats). I set the filter and start point and everything to taste, then p-locked those values to a trig. From here I could just copy that trig into track 1 and not worry about accidentally deleting a carefully p-locked trig, because the “master” version of it was already set on a different track. After I was done making the beat, I could use those dedicated tracks for other things. I was planning on adding another layer of drums, but decided to keep things simple so the piano part could take center stage.

The Digitakt is sequencing a VST called Akoustik Piano, and a free VST called OB-Xd I use for the bass.

Thanks for listening!

7 Likes

Your Digitone tracks get me in the feels the most for some reason. I am pretty sure I am going to swap my Digitakt for another Digitone and pair them up with a blackbox since it’s quite similar and I have grown to enjoy the blackbox workflow for sampling. I really miss some features from the DN when using the DT. While it’s unfortunate, I am sure you felt the opposite feeling coming from the DT. I can’t imagine 2 DNs sounding bad…

Your tutorials are great btw. Nothing fancy, just some paper and some notes and clear explanations. Can’t beat things are to the point.

Keep the tunes coming! It’s inspiring me to make video game music because I am going to make a game eventually.

I need to dig around more, but the way you make drums on the DN is tripping me up at the moment. I am sure it has to do with micro timings but I am not that technical when it comes to music production (yet).

Thanks again for the inspiration and enjoyable music!

2 Likes

Thanks for listening, man =D. I haven’t tried the blackbox before, but it seems really nice. I know what you mean about missing features between the DT and DN, I feel the same =P. I wish the DN used the trigs to select/mute tracks like on the DT, and I wish the DT had the add notes feature that the DN has.

And thanks, I try to keep my tutorials fast to make but easy to understand. Drawing on paper is actually faster than editing things into the video later =P (in my experience, at least) . It also helps that I haven’t seen many tutorials using pen and paper like this, which helps me stand out a bit.

Video game music is awesome. You should definitely go and make video game music! I’ve been checking out Unity to make a game too, but it is a lot more work than I think I have time for. One day, though!

2 Likes

Great music man! thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you, @Naboo!

I really do like the pen and paper approach. Another neat side effect is that I can hit pause and have a clue what is going on haha

Yea it’s going to take forever to build the game. It’ll be nice to have the Elektron boxes to get away from the screen in the future. Keep checking it out! Also Godot is Open Source so maybe check that out if you have time.

The first time I heard Digitone #5 I was sold on your music and the DN. Then I saw the beatstep drumming without sequencer and had to go get it that day haha

So yea keep creating and sharing :upside_down_face:

FM is a weird world…

2 Likes

I really like this 3/4 feel you have in Travel Light.
Super cool. I have to give it another watch but I’d love to see how you lay it out on the grid. Awesome as always

4 Likes