@Eaves / Ivar Tryti’s Music

Digitakt & Digitone #17 Well-Trodden Path (January 17th 2020)

Here’s another downtempo trip hop beat made on the Digitakt and Digitone. It’s such a fun genre to play with on these two boxes!

The annotations on my previous video were very well received, so I spent way too long annotating every button press this time! In case it isn’t obvious, the way I animated the annotations is inspired by damage numbers in most roleplaying games :stuck_out_tongue:

All audio is coming from the Digitakt and Digitone, with a free preamp plugin (Audio Damage SGA1566) and a multiband compressor (Image-Line Maximus) added in post.

Thanks for listening!

2 Likes

I just watched your SP404/Digitakt video, which is excellent btw. I always get ideas after watching your videos

A question about the setup: are you sending the Digitakt audio out over USB? And if so, are all the tracks going separately into FL studio, or summed into one main stereo track?

I’m thinking of doing something similar, only with an Eventide H9 for the FX.

1 Like

Thanks @Mistercharlie! Yep, I’m using the DT as an audio interface and everything is going through the USB. You have the option to send each track separately, but I’m lazy and just record the Digitakt’s main L/R outs into one stereo track in FL Studio. That one FX channel is full of plugins that I enable and disable with the Digitakt’s midi tracks.

Digitakt Sketch #42 What If I Sample The Digitone (January 18th 2020)

In one of the firmware updates for both the Digitakt and Digitone, a new feature was added: randomization. Press page+yes to randomize all the parameters on the selected page. When doing this on the Digitone’s syn1 page, you get some pretty cool sounds, but you also get even cooler transitions between the sounds! I sampled this into the Digitakt and used those sounds for everything except the drums.

All audio is coming from the Digitakt, with a free preamp plugin (Audio Damage SGA1566) and a multiband compressor (Image-Line Maximus) added in post.

Thanks for listening!

6 Likes

These videos are great! The resampling method with bit reduction and compression is the DT’s equivalent to Vinyl Sim.

Love your digitakt/tone vids. Just curious, by any chance will you do vids with a Circuit or Circuit Mono Station? Asking because I use those also and it would be awesome to see someone like you (a master) take on the Circuit workflow. Yes, I know it’s a strange thing to ask on the Elektron forum haha

so good! definitely captures the DS feel. did you finish the game? I was ambivalent about the gameplay in the final stretch but enjoyed the closing sequence very much.

Thank you very much! @ja haven’t planned on getting a Circuit or Circuit Mono Station, unfortunately. I’d love to try it out, but there are a couple of other things I’m GASing for too :stuck_out_tongue:

@nfim Thanks! I finished it and I enjoyed the whole thing. I can’t defend it against the criticism it’s been getting, it’s pretty much all valid, heh. I went in with the mindset that it was gonna be a weird game, and I felt I got a lot out of the game because of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Digitakt Sketch #43 Tape Loops (January 23rd 2020)

So after my last upload, I tried and failed to make something, loud, aggressive, and containing bass guitar. I made a couple of loops that I abandoned. Instead of banging my head against the wall trying to make it work, I shifted gears and went the opposite direction.

I’ve been inspired by jams that use tape players lately, and I wanted to try something similar. I don’t have a tape player, so I used my Digitakt instead. I made 4 short piano patterns in FL Studio and sampled them into the Digitakt, then on each pattern I had two tracks playing the same sample but in different directions and at different starting points. I then duplicated these patterns and switched out the sample being played, and from there I arranged it all into a simple beat.

All audio is coming from the Digitakt, with a free preamp plugin (Audio Damage SGA1566) and a multiband compressor (Image-Line Maximus) added in post.

Thanks for listening!

5 Likes

Great track as always dude, the wobble is really cool sounding! Sounds degraded and awesome.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, man :smiley:

So many scenarios going on in my head when I listen to your singular sketches. I love it. Thanks for sharing your music and mostly the making of.

2 Likes

That’s awesome to hear @Tchu! I really appreciate it man, thank you :slight_smile:

Digitakt & Digitone #18 Okay But Are You Sure (January 30th 2020)

This track started out with me trying to make a drum pattern where the snare is offset by one step. I forgot to change the tempo to my usual 80-90 BPM, and really liked the feel of the default 120 BPM.

I threw together a synthwavey chord progression just to have something to work with, and I had been listening to the soundtrack to The Social Network by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross all day at work, which inspired the bassline.

All audio is coming from the Digitakt and Digitone, with a free preamp plugin (Audio Damage SGA1566) and a multiband compressor (Image-Line Maximus) added in post.

Thanks for listening!

bandcamp: https://ivartryti.bandcamp.com
spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/4ds912FxVqFT78HZulqErS
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/ivartryti

6 Likes

Coincidentally the YouTube algorithm thought I should watch this after watching that new ARP 2600 documentary with Marc Doty.

Good job, YouTube!

and GREAT job Ivar. I skipped around the other tracks on your channel and you’re making those Digis dig deep. DT Sketh #35, and DT+DN Stealth Advantage are my favorites.

Please don’t ever stop!

4 Likes

You have to check out Indigo to Red…what a track for just the DN

3 Likes

fake news, how is that even possible without being a Level 9 Wizard?

(just bought it on Bandcamp)

That track is so engaging that when I watch it on YouTube my eyes think that there is an ultra slow “Ken Burns” effect zoom. My ears literally play tricks on my eyes.
It just sucks me right in.

4 Likes

This might or might not have convinced me to get a DN…

1 Like

Thank you @AdamJay and @selfup! And thank you very much for the support =) I’m glad you like my stuff.

2 Likes

Killer bassline!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, @Mistercharlie :slight_smile:

1 Like

:love_you_gesture:t4:
Unbelievable.
So good.
Makes me want to practice more.
You have a great voice on these instruments.

3 Likes