How to send bank select / program changes from DT to Seqtrak?

Damn, I’m still trying to switch Seqtrak presets from the DT. Still without success.

There is an older thread that discusses bank select / program changes for the Yamaha Motif, which are very similar to specs of the Seqtrak. Here are the Seqtrak MIDI specs:

The information inside the mentioned thread confirms that my approach is correct. In theory. My problem: My Seqtrak reacts to bank select events, but not to program changes. I checked the MIDI output from the DT. Everything looks okay:

(The difference between the values shown in the above pictures is due to the fact that Yamaha starts counting from 0, but Elektron from 1)

I would love to use the Seqtrak as an expander for my DT. But without working program changes it makes no sense for me. I have wasted 3 or 4 hours of my life on this topic and I’m pretty pissed off. :frowning:

Any ideas what’s wrong?

OK, then I will continue my monologue :wink:

In the meantime I have managed to get the Seqtrak to react to program changes from the DT.

Unfortunately, the system behind it is still not clear for me, because the Seqtrak only reacts if I first change the PROG value and then the SBNK value. Actually, it should be the other way round, as I know it from many other synths.

So to call up a certain preset, I have to set PROG and then SBNK. If I then want to change the preset again, I have to change PROG again, then SBNK (even if the SBNK value is correct, i.e. does not need to be changed). So I always have to change BOTH values in a precise order for anything to happen. Simply selecting BNK and SBNK and then going through the presets with PROG does not work. But that’s what I want and that’s exactly how it works with my other synths.

In addition, this only works on MIDI channel 8 (Synth 1). Nothing happens with Synth 2 (channel 9) and DX Synth (channel 10).

This happens when I change the PROG value only:

And this when I change BNK or SBNK:

Hi,
I intend to buy a Seqtrak to use it mainly as a sound module in my home studio. Therefore, Seqtrak’s ability to receive and recognize midi program changes from my DAW is obviously very important to me.

I’m curious where you found specific information for Bank Select MSB and Bank Select LSB of Seqtrak’s numerous Factory Presets?

Unfortunately, I have not found a solution to the problem. I’m beginning to think that it’s a bug.

Welcome to the forum!

That information appears in the MIDI Data Format and MIDI Data Table sections of the “SEQTRAK Data List” document, available for download from Yamaha’s web site.

Thanks, Peter! You’re the best.

With the friendly help of Lunaman06 from GS forum, I was able to solve my problem. At least partially. The solution was not really trivial and I would never have managed it without his support. Here are some details.

However, I finally can switch to the desired Seqtrak preset from my DT. I created a PDF with all the BNK, SBNK and PROG values for every AWM2/DX synth preset of the Seqtrak:

DT2SEQTRAK.pdf (205.4 KB)

To be able to use this table, you need to know that Seqtrak only reacts to program changes if the SBNK value is also changed afterwards. This also applies if the correct SBNK value is already set and only the PROG value is changed. In other words: The Seqtrak only reacts to program changes if the SBNK value is also changed.

I don’t know why the Seqtrak is behaving so strangely. Due to this restriction, it is unfortunately not possible to navigate through the Seqtrak presets using the DT’s PROG knob in the SRC page. If I place a lock trig on the last step of a pattern to temporarily change the SBNK value, the sound will be cutted off. This is because the Seqtrak reacts immediately when the SBNK value is changed … quite the opposite if I only change the PC value. I don’t understand this, but I’ll have to live with it.

2 Likes

That’s like some living in the matrix shit, can’t believe you have to jump through all those hoops.