How to record MIDI into octatrack?

Hi there.

Can someone tell me how I can record midi into my OT since I can’t import midi?

Unless I’m missing something…

Select the track (audio or midi), select chromatic mode (function + ^) now you can use the trigg keys as a keyboard, press rec+play, record away :slight_smile:

1 Like

can the octa record incoming midi?

eg - play notes on a midi keyboard to midi input and octa will record them as is in the sequencer…

i think not… but i can’t test it at the moment, and think i missed this in the manual.

cheers

Yes, you can realtime record incoming midi…

select your midi-track… press record+play simultanious and do your thing.
for the chromatic playing of your sample-tracks. you need to play on the last 2 octaves of your keyboard. (manual should be more specific what key it starts).
cause some notes trigger the recorders and all that. I think thats on C3 till C4.
so realtime chromatic sample-play will be somewhere around C4 till C6 or someting.

8 Likes

awesome! thankyou…

unquantised yeah?

If you want recording at the finest (micro-timing i.e. 1/384 steps) resolution instead of at the full sequencer step positions , ensure that you uncheck the setting ‘QUANTIZE LIVE REC’ in the menu PROJECT>SYSTEM>PERSONALIZE.

7 Likes

Nice tip Peter.
Also I think instead of importing your midi file, you could play the file from your daw into octa (midi) while its recording.

3 Likes

Does this work for MK2 as well? I can’t seem to record midi in at all from external synth. Correct midi Channel set and click midi and then record play same time.

Same OS for MKI and MKII.

1 Like

Is there any workaround for hitting both knobs simultaniously? i mean is it possible to get another shortcut for entering the live recording mode? 1 out of ten it starts. that can’t be seriously be the workflow for recording midi live…

Do you press Rec first, then + Play?
I’ve no problem with that.

3 Likes

ok thx sezare! i also found it on elektron users .com a minute ago: "press Record, hold it, and press Play, all really quickly. " now the world starts to shine :blush:

6 Likes

A big jump in the great Live Recording 2 fingers combo adventure. :smile:

10 Likes

No hurry to press play. You can hold Rec before peacefully. Press Rec to stop Live Recording is safer I think.

3 Likes

guess someone wrote the manual in an exact way so that someone else could post epic pictures at elektronauts while helping desperate newbies :crazy_face: starting to feel the flow

2 Likes

Thx for the help :grinning:

2 Likes

From manual :

Hold [RECORD] while pressing [PLAY] to enter LIVE RECORDING mode

To be fair, the language from the manual there could be improved!

“Press play while holding record” is more clear, or, “While holding record, press play”

2 Likes

Yeah seemed weird to me at first reading.

What about “Hold RECORD and press PLAY”? :slight_smile:

Or this : “Hold RECORD with a clean finger with short nail, scratch your head and think about what you are going to record to be ready, otherwise you may make some mistakes while recording, and then carefully press PLAY with another clean finger with short nail to start Live Recording, which is different from Grid Recording mode.” :tongue:

3 Likes

One day @sezare56 :wink:

2 Likes