Basic midi help

K I think I’ve been on here in the past asking something similar but I’m this case I just can’t seem to figure it out.
I own an OT Mkii, Digitakt, and Korg minilogue XD and what I’m trying to do effectively is have the OT as master sending clock over to the Digitakt, but I want to be able to play notes in using the keyboard on my Korg minilogue xd and have them sequences onto the OT sequencer. I’ve got all the audio routing part figured out but for whatever reason I can’t get the OT to record the keys I play on the XD. I’m convinced it’s a simple solution that’s just escaping me at the moment as it’s been a while since I’ve had the opportunity to sit down with all my gear hooked up. I’m sure it’s a simple MIDI settings mixup somewhere either on the OT or the minilogue.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe check out page 102 of the manual regarding using the OT as a MIDI control center. It is a pretty good tutorial on using CC Direct Connect and the Auto Channel. I’ve had good luck with the setup you describe, only using an OT, DN, and Wavestate.

2 Likes

Awesome, yeah I’ve gone through the manual and tried to run a search here in hopes I could find a saluting but unfortunately have come up empty handed. I’ll go through the tutorial in there once again and maybe I’ll get lucky and simply stumble upon a solution from just tweaking about a bit in the settings. Oh well.

So you made sure that you have “note in” selected in midi setup in OT?

Youve got the korg sending midi note on the channel that you set on the 2nd page of SRC? And you pressed on the knob that selects the midi channel after turning to the correct midi channel number to confirm the midi channel?

And then you are selecting the midi track you want to record on and holding down record and play (so that the record button is blinking if im remembering correctly)?

Or are you having a different problem altogether?

2 Likes

Oh and theres this thread:

3 Likes

:pray:t4: You have saved me a great deal of time my friend

2 Likes

Iv’e gone back through everything and still cant really figure it out fully, the “note in” function you state first, what setting should that be on exactly?
Here’s my plans for this particular setup.
I would like to be able to play in notes into into the OT sequencer using the Korg Minilouge CD’s keys and have the OT sequencer then go and play those notes over MIDI on the Minilouge CD itself. i think where im getting confused atm is how i should have my MIDI cables hooked up.
should i have two cables going to and from both units MID in AND MIDI outs?

If so then how can i sync the Digitakt to the clock of the OT?
I’m sure you can tell i just cant get my head wrapped around MIDI in general, never could even after all these years of tweaking about with hardware… it’s sad i know.

I think in the midi preferences under CONTROL, set midi note in to STANDARD. I actually do not send midi notes into OT but i would guess this is it.

And i see peter is typing so i would like to see what he says before I add other thoughts (hes more knowledgeable!:).

Your basic MIDI routing could be:

• Minilogue XD Out to OT MIDI In (so that the MXD keyboard sends notes to the OT)
  • OT MIDI Out to DT MIDI In (so that the OT can send clock to the DT)
  • DT MIDI Thru to MXD MIDI In (so that notes and maybe clock pass from OT to MXD)

Ensure Local Off is set on the MXD (so that presses on the MXD’s keys do not double trigger its sounds).

7 Likes

thank you so much for your wiring suggestions.
What exactly do you mean by “Local Off” on the XD? is that a setting somewhere in the synth? I’m sorry i’m not sure i’ve ever run across that one.

“Local Off” means the XD’s keys and knobs won’t trigger sounds or change parameters on the XD itself but will still transmit data to the OT. That data will then be transmitted back to the XD via the routing suggested above while allowing the OT to record the MIDI data. The XD should have an option to switch to “Local Off”.

According to the manual, turn off “Local SW” in GLOBAL EDIT mode on the XD.

1 Like

Ok. I think :thinking: I might have made some progress here.
I’m able to play notes on the XD keyboard and have them recorded onto the OT sequencer and Immediately played back on the XD. And master clock is coming from the OT thus switching banks/patterns when I need to on both the OT&DT.
but where I’ve run into a slight kerfuffle is when say for instance I set track 7 to midi mode and record my midi sequence to be played on the XD, if I then go to track 6 to record another “layer” seeing as the XD has four voice polyphony but the OT sequencer is not polyphonic (unless I’m missing something) I try to change the midi track 6 to midi channel 1(the channel I’m using for the XD) something strange happens….
The pattern on the DT changes to pattern 1!
:man_facepalming:t5:
I fear I’ve created a preverbial birds nest of midi cross talk here somehow.

The OT’s MIDI sequencer tracks are four-note polyphonic, although any note on a particular step has to start at the same time as the others on that step.

The DT changes pattern in response to MIDI Program Change (PC) messages. Presumably it is receiving a PC message from the OT or because you are changing program on the MXD. There are switches to enable/disable this behaviour on all your devices.

yeah i figured as much. the issue now is seemingly no matter what MIDI settings i change i still get the same behavior.
I did a little experiment to see if perhaps it was changing the DT pattern based on the midi channel i picked for a given track on the OT… but it’ just seems to change to pattern 1 of the DT even if say i set the midi channel for track 5 lets say… to send MIDI messages on MIDI channel 3.
I’ve gone through the manual several times, i’ve even gone as far as disabling the “auto channel” functionality as in the OT manual at the bottom of page 40 it states…

“…Program change messages if received on the auto channel if the device is in MIDI mode. However the program change messages are sent through the device but are remapped to the channel set in the NOTE SETUP menu of the active MIDI track”
I’m pretty much hitting a wall here with respect to making any real progress at this point.

If this is as you report then it’s completely baffling.

Have you tried disabling receipt of Program Change messages on the DT?

Does the same issue occur if you switch to a different project on the DT?

I will give these two suggestions a go, but my goal was to be able to change banks/patterns on the DT when i did so on the OT.
which currently is working as intended…
But unfortunately where things are getting wonky is when i go to change the MIDI channel on the MIDI note setup page for any MIDI track to ANY MIDI channel for whatever reasons the DT changes to pattern 1… though the OT stays on the pattern/bank it was originally assigned to which is what’s most confusing.
It isn’t like i’m sending across a bank/pattern change message anywhere along the line there. it truly is baffling.
To say the least, all this has become incredibly discouraging and after months of owning these devices and racking my brain to try to get them to play nice i’m seriously near the point of giving up entirely :frowning:
I was under the false impression MIDI was meant to more easily facilitate communication from device to device but in my case it’s just all become a nightmare thats effectively sapped my will to even try anymore.
I think all i’m after ultimately isnt all that much of an ask.
I own an OT, a DT, a korg monologue XD and i want to use the OT as the master clock, have the DT change patterns when i ASK IT TO from the OT, and then be able to PLAY IN riffs (basslines, synth pads etc) on the monologue keyboard and have them recorded (midi sequenced) on the OT sequencer. Why in GODS NAME would changing the MIDI channel of a MIDI track send a PROGRAME CHANGE message over to the DT??!? not just that but to pattern 1, seemingly randomly resetting the master clock or so it seems to me with my clearly miniscule understanding of MIDI in general.
I’m nearly at my breaking point here sorry if i’m beginning to sound a little too salty.
I DO greatly appreciate all the help though i’m extremely grateful for that.

All this eminently possible.

This is unusual and unexpected behaviour and you just need to do some troubleshooting steps to find the root cause.

It may also be useful to run the Test Mode described in the manual in case your DT has an unusual hardware problem.

I understand - it’s very frustrating when you just want to make music.

1 Like

Just a thought - if you have the bnk/sbnk/prg set to anything other than off ( there’s three numbers in the src extra midi settings menu where you set the midi channel) it will send a prg change message on the channel when you change the channel. Set the other 3 params to off (not 0, ‘off’ you gotta go past 127 to access it) to make sure it doesn’t do that.

2 Likes