How to change patterns via MIDI

I would like a way to change patterns on the A4 when sequencing from the OT.

I understand this is possible with the MD, and in fact it is making me want an MD because I am using too many OT tracks for drums :zonked:

I love that I can control the performance macros from the OT and thus exert a lot of control over the A4 using only a single MIDI channel on the OT. If I could switch patterns as well then my life would be complete.

OK, maybe not complete :joy:

1 Like

Program Changes, I think?

It is nice sequencing MIDI PCs with the MD. :imp: With the OT, parts or you could change it manually on the fly, or change patterns on the OT.

I think the idea might be that they want the OT to be the master so the A4, MD or MnM follow itā€™s pattern changes rather than letting you sequence them? The A4 is changing with the OT, yeah?

Can you really do that? I thought this wasnā€™t possible, IIRC Jon from Elektron said so in that SonicState video. So I had never tried.

I am testing this right now and unless Iā€™m doing it wrong, Iā€™m sure itā€™s not possible to control the A4 Performance Macros via MIDI CC or NRPN, as of OS 1.06.

Nah, the Performance Macros take CC - itā€™s on page D-1 of the manual. Try sending them on Channel 10, the default auto channel - see page 37. (You can change this to be a different channel).

indeed, it works fine, nice!

What doesnā€™t seem to work for me is moving knob A (and only A) with NRPN for a reason, which was the thing I tested earlier and let me to believe that the Performance Macros are not MIDI controllable.

Yeah I donā€™t know about thatā€¦I canā€™t remember the last time I used an NRPN for anything, maybe back in the 90s :joy:

Lifeā€™s just too short IMHO - if itā€™s not on CC then itā€™s probably not worth my time to use it. I think NRPNs are an artifact of the days when manufacturers felt obligated to be compatible with General MIDI first and other features took a lower priority.

hmā€¦ looking at this now I donā€™t even know why I bothered with NRPN to begin with, lol.

Iā€™m going to attempt to change patterns via midi from my MDUW to A4. I just want the pattern change information from my MDUW to link to the A4 - so pattern A1 to A2 on the MDUW will make the A4 follow suit. According to the text that came with the 1.06 upgrade this should be possible.

ā€œProgram change can now be sent or received changing or enqueueing the corresponding pattern. Enabling is done is the GLOBAL - MIDI CONFIG - MIDI SYNC menu. Configuration of the MIDI channels is done in the GLOBAL - MIDI CONFIG - MIDI CHANNEL menuā€.

It worked. Changing patterns on the MDUW will change patterns on the A4 - 1:1 match. This works very well for my workflow as I generally like short 16 step drum patterns with lots of fill patterns and 64 step synth patterns.
I set both machines to receive and send program change information, and set both machines to utilze channel 10 for this function. They linked up beautifully.
Asideā€¦ since my machinedrum patterns are only 16 steps and my A4 patterns 64 steps, I was concerned that it would change the A4 pattern prior to itā€™s completion. This is not the case, itā€™ll wait until after the 64 step to changeā€¦ no timing issues here:)

I assume that channel 10 does not send midi notes to A4? Is it true? Since we donā€™t want midi notes to be send to A4, only midi program changeā€¦ so what trig or cc do you send to the A4? maybe you could explain this a little better since we have only two hands to play our nice machines! :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyway thank you!

How do I find out the OS version on my A4? It doesnā€™t show on the screen on startup. Iā€™m desperate to change patterns over MIDI from my OT - everyone keeps telling me itā€™s possible but it doesnā€™t work for me. Do I need to upgrade the OS? Only bought the machine about 2 months ago!

Itā€™s been awhile since I was on this site. Sorry I didnā€™t get back to you. Did you figure out what you want yet? If not, let me know, and Iā€™ll see if I can help.
Cheers,
M.

Itā€™s been awhile since I was on this site. Sorry I didnā€™t get back to you. Did you figure out what you want yet? If not, let me know, and Iā€™ll see if I can help.
Cheers,
M.[/quote]
Didnā€™t achieved the task, cause been away for a whileā€¦ maybe a graphical scheme would be nice. anyway thank you mate!

Hey man, Iā€™m surprised this isnā€™t working for you. First, make sure you have the latest OS for the analog FOUR. The program change feature was in one of the OS upgrades. After youā€™ve updated it, you should be able to select receive program change messages in the global menu. I set the channel to 10, but it doesnā€™t have to be. Then I set the machinedrum to send program change messages, and the channel to 10 and it worked out fine. One thing Iā€™ve noticed, the program change works fine within banks (AtoD) or (EtoH), but if your going from pattern D16 to E1 - it wonā€™t do the program change. For the changes that happen when a bank button is required, youā€™ll still have to do that manually.

To the questioner above : the OS version is briefly shown bottom right on the initial splash screen (nothing about this in the manual) !

I feel foolā€¦but-ā€¦how i do change patterns on A4 from OT???

Thaaaaaankssss

No one??! come onnnn, plissssss!!

It Does work for me.
From D16 to E1 without any problem.

Everything fine now.
From this another thread iā€™ve got the ultrasimple solution!

Can I do it sending program change information from A4 to MD?