How to change patterns via MIDI

Can I do it sending program change information from A4 to MD?[/quote]

Hopefully the discussion in the thread you created has answered your question:
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/sequencing-a-machinedrum-from-an-analog-four/15023/123783

Hey folks, Iā€™m trying to send program changes from MD to A4 (through MPC 1000 and DSI P12M, if that matters), figured Iā€™d jump on this thread. Changing Programs on MD is not changing Programs on A4. Hereā€™s what Iā€™m doing:

MD Settingsā€“OS 1.53C
Control Base Channel: 10-13 (not sure if this matters, or is setting the MIDI channel to 10, as discussed above)
Control Prog Change: Out
Sync Temp Out: On
Sync CTRL Out: On

A4 Settingsā€“OS1.22
MIDI Syncā€“Clock Receive, Transport Receive, Prog Ch Receive: all checked
MIDI Configā€“
Input From : MIDI + USB
Receive CC/NRPN: checked
MIDI Channelā€“Prog Ch In Ch: 10

Uhm, I think that covers the pertinent settings that come to mind. MPC is changing Sequences, no problem. Sincere apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The MD the channel where program change messages are sent is left to BASE (i.e. 10 in your case)? (under Global > Control > PRG Change). How do you connect the MD to the A4? Program change messages go out the MD MIDI OUT (not THRU) - which needs to be fed into the A4 MIDI IN for this to work.

Just to answer a solution that seems a lot more simple than some answers, and get things clear in case anyone is looking this up as I have been today.

In order to sync pattern changes made manually or in arrangement mode on the Octatrack (OT) when connected to other Elektron gear, the way to do it with MIDI SYNC is as follows.

On your OT, set the following in MIDI SYNC
TRANSP SEND > ON
CLOCK SEND > OFF
PROG CH > SEND > ON
PROG CH > Ch 16

On your Rytm/A4/DT/DN etc, set the following:
May vary slightly, but same principle applies - I am refering to a Rytm MKII menu.

(MIDI CONFIG > SYNC)
CLOCK RECEIVE = OFF
TRANSPORT RECEIVE = ON
PROG CH RECEIVE = ON

(MIDI CONFIG > CHANNELS)
PROG CH IN = CH 16

Often the AUTO channel seems to be set differently by default on various Elektron gear. Also Clock and Transport apparently interfered. Anyway, this is what sorted it for me. Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Beware, MIDI > SYNC > Prog Change > AUTO setting IS NOT AUTO CHANNEL, but the lowest audio midi channel not shared with a midi track channel. :scream:
I use channel 16 too.

2 Likes