How old are you and where are you from?

20 minutes north of Detroit. 40 yo.

Influenced by the Electrfying Mojo, brit-pop, space rock, industrial.

1 Like

Actually Iā€™m an ancient robot golem that has been buried under the catacombs of vienna/europe for the last 2037 years.

Itā€™s most likely because much younger people typically donā€™t have the kind of money needed to buy any Elektron machineā€¦[/quote]
Yeah, its pretty hard to pirate an Elektron box lol.

Hello, Iā€™m 41 from Arezzo, Tuscany, Italia.

I am a drummer and have played in several bands, from Classic Rock to World Music, from electronic rock to ethnic.
I have a mix of influences going from Led Zep and Pink Floyd to Peter Gabriel, Radiohead, Autechre, Aphex Twin.

The love for Elektron stuff began with my MD, then I got an OT and later an AR.
I am currently working on my studio setup to begin recording a lot of what I did and never got played by my bands.

2 Likes

SI BEGG ā€¦ oh my god !!! ā€¦ music design ā€¦ OMG ā€¦

Iā€™m 33, from Sweden. Got started making music on fast tracker I, partly because I was a computer nerd, partly because I had no friends I could play hardcore punk/crust with at the time. Bought a used Machinedrum 10 years ago, expanded to Rytm and Analog 4 this year.

Musical influences include TotalitƤr, Meshuggah, Discharge, the jenkinsons (squarepusher & ceephax), Subhead, Asian Dub Foundation. Also important are Goldman, Kropotkin, Joe Hill.

I very much like old Dynacord gear, and also a fan of Symetrix outboard.

1 Like

Not to mention Kjell Nordboe (RIP) - greatest C64 musician of all time, by many accounts.

31, from Australia (Melbourne, ex-Perth).

Iā€™ve been a guitarist since age 6, and writing electronic music since I was 12ā€”I started with a copy of FT2 from August 1996 issue of PC Format magazine and a bunch of samples ripped from demoscene tracks. I upgraded to Buzz in 2001 and then Renoise in 2012, and soon began acquiring hardware. Iā€™ve found the Monomachine is pretty close to the sound design workflow I used in Buzz, which suits me just fine! These days I also use a MIDI pickup on my guitar when playing live.

I have fairly eclectic music tastes, but mostly love prog, space rock, IDM, metal and chiptunes/demoscene music. ā€˜Favouriteā€™ bands from each genre (respectively) are Genesis (80s King Crimson a very close second), Eloy, Autechre, Meshuggah and Fleshbrain.

Oh, and I love good synthpop as well!

2 Likes

Itā€™s most likely because much younger people typically donā€™t have the kind of money needed to buy any Elektron machineā€¦[/quote]
im not sure about that, in my 20s in 1 set up i had a dx-7, drumtracks, tx-7, sh2, mpu101, qx-7, mt44.
and my first live rig was a polysix, ms 20, dr55. :slight_smile:

its not like they are really expensive like say a jupiter 8 was new and now again
does seem like a pretty old demographic, maybe its all the girls and drugs keeping them busy? :confused:

24 years old from VƤsterƄs, Sweden.

Mostly into Experimental Psytrance, Ambient, Drone, Noise, but also Electro Pop, Psy/rock/folk and chunky minimal techno/house.

Current project is making some kind of Psytrance

here is a WIP using Octa and A4

https://soundcloud.com/jepekjepek/wip-liveset

1 Like

I am still almost sure :slight_smile: Itā€™s good for you, but I think you were atypical then.

31, from Minsk, Belarus :slight_smile:

1 Like

Old people have money, thatā€™s why they ride expensive porsche and young blonds.
nasty old bastards :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
but some prefer Elektron gear, itā€™s cheaper than Ć  blond, and more creative than a Porsche.

3 Likes

35 from Brisbane, Australia.

Grew up playing along to Kitaro on a cheap Casio keyboard in the 80s. Forgot about electronic music until I discovered FLA & Wumpscut in the late 90s.

After years of buying & selling to pawnshops/ebay and the occasional brand new ā€œaffordableā€ VA, I finally got my hands on some elektron boxes and a virus last year (turns out itā€™s not actually mandatory to pi$$ all your money up the wall every weekend) - still figuring out what to do with them thoughā€¦

1 Like

32 from Spokane, WA, USA

Autechre is and has been my first love for most of my life. I was a big fan of that Warp stuff (Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, etc.) through my teenage years, along with Meat Beat Manifesto, NIN and Soundgarden. Brothomstates, Gescom, Seefeel, and Mira Calix carried me through college. Then I started getting into Drexciya, hip hop (Mad Lib, Danny Brown, Public Enemy) and a little funk, jazz (Herbie), dub (I love almost everything Iā€™ve heard from King Tubby and Scientist), and even the danker flavors of disco (Sticky Fingers, Cloud One). Autechreā€™s still my go-to but other big ones are VHS Head and our own Buromaschinen, as well as tons of other stuff too numerous to list.

2 Likes

Hmmmā€¦ Drexciya

The average age here seems to be late 30s / early 40s. That would seem to explain the generally civil attitude :slight_smile:

30 Madison, WI.

Influences are Trent Reznor, Allessandro Cortini, butthole surfers, Mew, Prodigy, Puscifer

1 Like

Kobi, 38 yo, Tel Aviv. my listening and inspiration list is far too long, listen to every music with groove for the body, mind and soul.

2 Likes

nice to see ā€¦ i spent a part of my youth in vienna ā€¦ most of the time in the old Gasometer and after that in the Arena