• Baths
  • Boards of Canada
  • Steven Wilson
  • Objekt
1 Like

A younger me? Tach jesacht.

1 Like

29 from Helsinki, Finland.

I could list all kinds of influences, but in the end every genre that has managed to hold my sustainted interest can be traced to a single source.

That source is of course the soundtrack of the first Red Alert to which I listened to for literaly hundreds of hours as a kid. and we all know the really big formative events happen in childhood.

Metal, industrial, techno, synthpop, synth-whatever, itā€™s all there if you listen for it.

I would probably also give some credit to my auntā€™s cassette collection of ā€œspace musicā€, best-of-tapes of venerable electronic artists such as Jean-Michel Jarre, Giorgio Moroder and so on.

And come to think of it, endless hours of 80s hits and 90s eurodance I heard from car radio as a kid probably made me love synthwave and chord stabs.

3 Likes

43yrs, from Turku, Finland. Got my first synth (a Yamaha DX100) as a christmas present when I was 13 and have been making music on/off ever since. My musical tastes are very wide. For a long time I said that I love all music except reggae, trance and blues, but it seems that Iā€™ve found things to love in all those genres too.

I was a semi professional dj for 18 years and retired from that thing last fall. Sold most of my 12" and 7" singles but still have thousands of vinyls etc. and keep buying them.

4 Likes

Iā€™m 4 billion years old and come from Mars - friends call me Panspermia.

5 Likes

Nice to see Finn folks here =)

I am 30, brazilian from Amazon Jungle region, living in Helsinki, Finland.

3 Likes

Iā€™m a 38 year old lady from Kalama, WA (all though I still feel, look & act 21ā€¦ my mom calls it immatureā€¦ Iā€™m not immature, Iā€™m youthful, THEREā€™S A DIFFERENCE!!!) So many artists inspire me, but Iā€™ll name a few favorites:

Dj Shadow
Orbital
NIN
J Dilla (his solo stuff, also stuff he did with Tribe Called Quest & Busta Rhymes)
Led Zepplin
Wu-Tang
Radiohead
DJ Q-bert
Bob Marley

5 Likes

47, hannover, germany

I grew up listening to the the, soft cell, dead kennedys, pink floyd and john zorn, but i feel musically engaged nowadays to ellen alien, maya jane coles, ligeti, shostakovic, nine inch nails, dub trio, undisputed truth etc. it changes a lot

4 Likes

Iā€™m a 36, from Chile but living in Germany. My first keyboard was a Yamaha PSS-11 when I was 11 or 12, then I got a bigger Yamaha and finally a Casio CTK-something when I was 17.

When I was in university I made a kinda cheesy electronic album with Fruity Loops and it seems I have lost all the songs, I also played around with ReBirth and Reason when they first appeared.

After many years just playing guitar and bass, I got interested in making electronic music again. Last year I bought my first HW synths, the 4 first Roland Boutiques, a TR-8 and even a Cirklon. Then I realized I just wanted some grooveboxes so I sold everything and got Elektron devices instead.

1 Like

38, south uk, between portsmouth and southamptonā€¦

I mainly like guitar music up until 16, then I got introduced to techno, got into producing music around 98, bought a jp8080 and access virus bā€¦ started getting into more EDM/Aphex Twin/Autechre/Boards of Canada etcā€¦ bought a sidstation when they first came outā€¦ sold all equipment in 2010ā€¦ started buying new stuff in 2017ā€¦ now I have more than i did first time roundā€¦

3 Likes

26 since few days, from Italy, living in Marseille FR. First round with electronic music as an interest and an experience was from following the free party movement in Italy as a teen. then i moved to London at 19, i ve rediscovered punk and iā€™ve met breakcore for the first time and got lost in it. Iā€™ve turned from punk to noise to techno to jungle to avantgarde to experimental to cheese stuff to lots of many others shades and shapes of music and to yours, maybe, as well. In this period I m listening to chick orea, throbbing ghristle, the last releases from Praxis and fever ray.

1 Like

lol weā€™re the same age and I also played the crap out of Red Alert, canā€™t remember the soundtrack though. I bet itā€™s one of those underlying influences Iā€™m not even aware of, will have to go back and give it a listen. Most of the stuff I make and listen to sounds like pause menu music anyway.

1 Like

34 Moscow, Russia. Letā€™s call me Max itā€™s easier and sounds better than my real name:)
Fell in love with electronic music (Techno , deep house and House) only 3 years ago, just started to explore music creation and and everything connected with it.

2 Likes

Detroit, enough saidā€¦

4 Likes

Sacramento California,
originally from a small town called Sonora near Yosemite.

Found my love for electronic music in the mid 90s when I accidentally ordered a copy of Aphex Twinā€™s ā€œRichard D. James Albumā€ My older brother was also listening to a lot of Orbital at the time. Anything Rephlex / Warp I loved but also others like The Prodigy, Crystal Method, Distance to Goa, Chemical Brothers, Meat Beat Manifesto, the list goes onā€¦

Started screwing around with electronic music production in the late 90s with a copy of Rebirth, nothing serious. Later on I purchased a copy of Reason 3.0 and would do many random sub par projects ITB through out the next decade off and on. Moved away from electronic music production in the late 2000s because I was working on rap music and writing a ton of lyrics (with mixed results).

Flash forward to 2014 and my wife picked me up a Korg EMX-1 for Xmas and I ditched any desire to be a lyricist. Ever since then Iā€™ve jumped full blown into hardware, but still track in Cubase on my laptop. Also studying much more music theory and making much better songs than my younger years.

3 Likes

46 - Denver, Colorado via NJ, NC, OH and UT

I am inspired by music, all varieties and sounds around us, particular nature

I got to Elektron OT via guitar pedals and loopers then synths and samplers. Love making crazy noise :smiley:

3 Likes

Iā€™m 42 and live in a town on the coast in Ayrshire, Scotland thatā€™s quiet enough to be nice but itā€™s dead easy to get a train up to Glasgow. I was born in Ayrshire too but moved to and grew up in Dumfriesshireā€¦ a wee village just outside Lockerbie.

I first started trying to write music in 94 when I went to Uni but that was a shambles as my 386sx40 PC didnā€™t have a soundcard so Iā€™d write stuff in Screamtracker, save to floppy disk and go round to my mateā€™s house to listen to it on his Amiga.

My influences are all over the shoppe as I listen to all sorts of stuff but I find that the stuff I tend to write is mostly in the ball park of classic Warp, techno, dub, raster-noton, ambient etc etcā€¦

5 Likes

43, midwest GER, started in the 90s with Fasttracker on PC and went on with similiar tracker software, also mangling my friends K2000ā€¦ We did techno only, mostly trance and acid like tracks, inspired by BBC Steve Mason, small record stores which sold records from plastikman, harthouse like Labels (eye-q, etcā€¦) and later on parties at FFM Omen (VƤth, Dag). Meanwhile we did most steps in making music with rebirth and then reasonā€¦ Then I stopped for a while, sometimes playing with reason and then started a while back with a Korg Electribe 2 or so because I did not want to use a PC anymore due to some hassle and also working all day with that dreaded Machine ā€¦ ;)ā€¦ Electribe didnt fit and was to limited and so I began buying and selling used as well as new gear to my setup today which I posted on the your setup threadā€¦

Long story short, mostly I end up with monotone acid like patterns and tracks, because I like to listen to such tracks :wink:

5 Likes

Hello!

In my 50ā€™s (still canā€™t believe it) living in Nashville, TN since 1998. Been playing bass and guitar since around age 13. Been a full time musician since ā€˜94.

Early influences
Bowie
Roxy/Eno
Neubaten
Reich
Cramps
Howlinā€™ Wolf
Wall of Voodoo
Henry Cow

Lately, same plus
Nicolas Jaar
Lorn
Autechre
Aphex Twin
Dwig

Did a fair amount of electronic/industrial for a couple labels/production libraries in the ā€˜90ā€™s and early 2,000ā€™s. Let it go for over a decade but (mostly as a hobbyist) recently and seriously back in. Not a ton of gear besides basses(!), but I have an OTMK2, DT, looper and iPad with quite a few apps. Mostly experimental crap done on solo bass mangling into songs.

Thanks for letting me hang out here. Been having a ball :slight_smile:

9 Likes

33, living in Denver but moving to Toronto this summer. Iā€™m mostly into the deconstructed club music thatā€™s been going on lately.

4 Likes