How Much Syntakt Overlap?

I’m not as well versed in hardware, let alone Elektron devices since the AR has been my first experience for both.

Just saw the Syntakt promos and am a bit confused by what it’s trying to be…mainly how many aspects of it overshadow the AR (aside from the obvious aka sampling/keyboard mode). That is something I couldn’t answer myself, so I figured I’d ask you all…

What does the Syntakt do that might make the AR less appealing or justifiable?

Now I’m even more curious if an A4/AR update is around the corner.

Model:Cycles sounds.

2 Likes

Aside from the already mentioned…
Costs less, but since you already own AR, so that’s not important.

It has a 2nd LFO on all audio tracks too. But Rytm may very well get that in an update (at least one would hope).

It also has a baby Heat inside, with analog filter that can be used over any mix of the audio tracks. Not as heavy handed as AR’s master dist, and the routing through it is more flexible.

Syntakt has a VCA envelope with an inverted shape that you could use as a compressor, but really Rytm’s compressor is more ideal here. However you have more routing flexibility through that feature on the Syntakt, than Rytm has through the master compressor.

It’s more portable too.

Syntakt has some digital synth (non drum) machines that you can use for melodies and hooks.

But really the sample layer of the Rytm, through its analog signal path, make it a great partner for Syntakt, rather than an opponent. Especially considering Syntakt output is rather hot, and ideal for hitting AR’s compressor via the external inputs.

7 Likes

Syntakt is basically a beefed up Model Cycles with a pared down RYTM and Heat tossed in. Owning any of those three boxes along with the Syntakt would be pretty redundant, in my opinion, so I would either stick with what you’ve got or sell the RYTM if you really wanted to make the leap.

Elektron usually don’t overlap machines this hard, but given how much they’ve been repackaging existing sound engines the last few years I guess it was inevitable.

4 Likes

in the studio = rytm + syntakt
on the go = syntakt

4 Likes

They overlap a lot. IMHO otherwise youre all trying to justify GAS here, sorry

4 Likes

I have ARMKII and MC
The sounds coming from the demos are far more closer to the MC tbh…infact most demos sound exactly like an MC with some filtering and smatterings of an analog synth on top…

4 Likes

We need a comparison chart with elektron gear along the top, specs down the side and then Xs and ticks to shows what’s in each box….

5 Likes

AnalogRytm’s aftertouch/pressure performance pads + scenes are enough of a reason to stick with the top dog for me. Although, those syntakt trig modifiers sure look handy from a distant glance.

1 Like

I guess it mainly comes down to form factor

1 Like

I don’t have a Syntakt but I did previously own both a Digitakt and. Digitone. I currently own an Analog Rytm MK1.

The performance macros are really awesome. Personally I didn’t like using them by applying pressure to the pads so I got a compact MIDI controller with regular rotary knobs (not endless encoders). It’s really great and it adds a huge amount of hands on control. Even if you just assign individual macros to common controls on individual tracks as a short cut e.g. filter cutoff or delay send amount for a few different tracks, it gives a lot of extra control without switching pages or e.g. you can control parameters on one track with the encoders whilst also controlling parameters on other track(s) with the MIDI knobs assigned to macros.

I would also add, conversely, that control-all is a very fun and creative feature that isn’t available on the larger boxes (I don’t think A4 has it either). Great for “happy accidents” and experimental sound design.

The Digi boxes are great (I’m very tempted to get a Syntakt) but the bigger boxes have some really great features that set them apart. I won’t mention song mode. Oops…

I agree with whoever suggested AR + Syntakt. I reckon that’s where I’m headed as a two-box setup.

5 Likes

Another vote for AR mk2 + Syntakt (waiting for mine) One can never have too many drum machines.

I plan to buy an RK002 to go with the syntakt so I can use 3/4 of the digital tracks to create polyphony. Rest for bass and extra drums.

With these two boxes I got everything covered. Samples, analog drums and bass and still plenty of tracks left for melodic stuff. Also, song mode and performance options. Perfect for me :slight_smile:

Ps. Now that I am thinking of it, i could use syntakt midi to create extra LFOs for the Rytm if needed until the much awaited AR update arrives (I am sure they will not let their flagship sales go down by outshining it with a much cheaper product)

3 Likes

Yea. It really depends on which machines are used.
When I use the chord machine or the digital alloy hat, it takes me straight into M:C sonics. That chord machine is perhaps the most distinctive sounding Elektron synth “machine”.

Lately I’ve been trying to lean in harder to the new ST exclusive machines, avoid chord and alloy, and craft my hats and shakers from the UT Noise.

3 Likes

So since I already have an AR, why would I want to get the ST? More so if we get an AR feature update. If it’s essentially an AR Lite with MC stapled onto it, wouldn’t I be better off with an MC or Digitakt/Tone?

ST has things that neither MC or AR have.

Look into those (new synth machines, new digital drum voices, fx block&routing, trig modifiers, more LFOs, more access to modulating MC machine parameters, new analog filter modes) to decide if those differentiators interest you or not.

3 Likes

Do you talk about that setup anywhere you can link to?

What did you mean by non rotary encoder.

I’d love to do something similar. I might DIY some kind of solution.

Great info here. Yeah, I definitely will look into those things.

One thing I know for sure is that I’m most likely holding out until we get some sort of AR/A4 update before I make a decision.

Hello there. My original post is linked below. I just mean a regular old MIDI controller that has knobs and faders on, but not so-called “endless” encoders which spin and spin (like on Elektron boxes) but just old-fashioned rotary knobs that have a fixed start and end position. The performance macros can then just be assigned to those knobs on the MIDI controller so I can use them to control parameters live. The good thing here is that I only need to map the MIDI controller once to control 8 performance macros and then it works with every project because I just re-map the performance macros on the AR to whatever controls I want for any given project.

1 Like

Little update from me: I was wrong. I played around with the syntakt a bit and realized it can never replace the Rytm, at least not for my use-case (I love to use samples and performance macros)

I also quickly realized that, although the 12 tracks are nice and quite versatile, it reminded me a bit too much of the cycles both in terms of the sound pallete and with regard to the fact that constantly felt wanting more control over parameters and sound design options. Don’t get me wrong, it can cover a lot of ground, but not necessarily my type of ground.

So, for me it was neither a good replacement nor the addition to my setup (just an AR) that I was hoping for.

Luckily I found someone (another Elektronaut) willing to trade (!) their as good as new black Analog Four mk2 for the Syntakt. I am a very happy camper. Now I really got all ground covered, although I will probably end up with another OT somewhere in the future to complete the dark trinity)

I am really looking forward to others creations with either or both machines!

3 Likes

This seems like a reasonable path. If I already owned the AR, I would personally be hard pressed to justify a Syntakt purchase.

The AR + A4 seems like a killer combo.

1 Like