Syntakt VS AR MK2 after V1.70

lol, in my opinion the rytm is a lot more fun and the best live-machine in elektrons line up with the pads / scenes / performance macros, while i find the digis only useful in the studio because they have none of the above, no dedicated fill-button etc.
the main advantage the syntakt has for me is that goddamn swarm-machine, it’s really unique.

1 Like

I have Ryrm MK2 and I had Syntakt

Syntakt has more machines and ctrl all functionalities

The advantage or the AR for me are:

• separate outputs
  • 16 trigs layout vs 8 of the digis
  • more buttons and pad means more fun
  • the possibility to layer sample with analog machines
  • euclidean sequencer which will probably be implemented on Syntskt next year

edit.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I checked if there was a similar thread but I can´t find something like Syntakt VS AR. Sorry if I bothered someone.

1 Like

Today a few ads got listed locally: “Syntakt + Digitakt exchange with Rytm only” and “Selling DT/ST to buy Rytm”

The new OS appears to be popular

Good thing I managed to score a black MK2 for 900 recently.

The Rytm was already worth it before the update tbh. I would say, go for the Rytm

Doesn’t seem to be as many around as OT vs. DT, but I found this for example:

1 Like

The fairer comparison would be ST+DT vs Rytm mk2… that would put the ST+DT combo at a slightly higher price than the Rytm, but a better ‘vs’ gauge, because neither the ST or DT come close to the power of the Rytm on their own.

It’s the extra performance aspects of the Rytm that make it so special, IMO… the Perfs, the Scenes, Trig Mutes, Slides, Pad Mutes, etc… these are the main difference… and that’s really before you get to the new features v1.70 has introduced.

The Syntakt is definitely the colder sounding of the two too (colder=good btw).

There is a small part of me that would LOVE the Rytm to be a proper 12 track machine (like the Syntakt) though, instead of the 9+3 approach with specific machines to specific tracks.

(Also, we all know the only real answer is to have both… :smiley:)

5 Likes

I think the differences have been huge from the start. Yes they share the analog part, but that’s really it.

Rytm to me is more of a powerhouse drum sculpting tool. Layer, resample, etc. That’s what really sets it apart from the Syntakt.

I guess the differences also come down to how you use both. If you use Rytm without samples and don’t use resample I think the overlap is definitely there.

Rytm is like having a Digitone and Syntakt in one minus the digital engines.

EDIT, I mean digitakt, not Digitone.

The answer is always the same :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: you need both! And an OT! Best of all Worlds in three Machines. As much as I would love to see the best of those three put into one mighty package I think this is it. As far ad rythmic dutys go :wink:

That’s a bit misleading imo as Digitone doesn’t have sampling and is based on FM character with deep sound design possibilities, polyphony, an arp and flexible voice allocation. Rytm has none of that, Syntakt only the (limited) FM engine. ST and DT in one is more accurate I’d say, like @CCMP suggests.

1 Like

The update makes the Rytm once again more interesting to me, but I can’t live without an 2nd LFO - the sound sculpting possibilities of the analog Rytm machines on the Syntakt are incredible thanks to that.
Of course it’s possible to have additional control over the RYTM via the Digitakt and a 2nd LFO that way …

1 Like

Aaah shit! I just read I wrote Digitone instead of Digitakt lol

2 Likes

“When it comes to sound design, the syntactic is also a better choice.”

I doubt that. I had the Syntakt and sold it straight away because the RYTM sounded much more expressive to my ears when designing it and also from the result of the designed sound. It just takes more time to find your sounds. Not that sytnakt is bad, but rytm is simply the conductor of the entire eleketron drumbox.

Rytm also has CV ins, so if you have something modular, or an MS20 or something, there is your 2nd LFO. and through overbridge you can have 10000 lfos if you want.

1 Like

And then Midi Out to CV to control the “something modular” dangling on the CVs to recall whatever together with one’s project/pattern yada yada

1 Like

You forget, individual outputs, analog compressor and distortion, CV inputs

1 Like

Oh yeah… :sunglasses: :+1:

Ext Ins suck on the Rytm though compared to how they’re handled on the Syntakt.
It doesn’t feel like you can integrate Ext synths as well on the Rytm.

What makes you say the Ext In sucks on the AR? Genuinely curious.

Haven’t used it yet, and I’m not sure if I would since I use Ableton/OB to record and drop samples using Transfer

ST gives way more control of Ext Ins… dedicated levels, access to the Rev and Delay, let’s you use 2 mono ins (and have pan control of them with separate Rev/Del sends), probably more I’m forgetting.

Rytm is just a basic through with no real controls (and the input level is quite low too). It does let you hit the Compressor, but not the Drive (curiously, just the ‘symmetry’ control of the Drive circuit).
There are other options to use the Audio In too, but, generally as a device for bringing in Ext’s, it’s got the worse implementation of any Elektron device (if you think of the A4, Digi’s and OT).

1 Like

I agree with all you wrote.

But I also wonder if the design comes from underlaying philosophy behind the Rytm. If you think of the Rytm’s main outs as a drum subgroup, the limitations make more sense. The compressor isn’t a 2bus compressor for a whole track, it’s a drum buss compressor. It’s for gluing your rhythm track together, or fucking up the tone. If it were a master buss compressor, it wouldn’t be controlled by Kits. You might want to squish your bass through the drum buss, but you often don’t.

This is not to say I think it’s the best design. The Syntakt Ext.Ins are more useful for a whole track mix.

1 Like