How hot does your Syntakt get?

I’ve been noodling around again for about an hour with it on my lap, and its gotten pretty warm. My infrared thermometer reads 97F on the top case and 108F on the bottom.

Just wondering if that’s the normal operating temperature?

Thanks!

1 Like
4 Likes

All of that analog stuff will generate heat. This is expected.

4 Likes

Just realized that the Syntakt has a 12V/2A input. The DT/DN has 12V/1A. So the Syntakt is definitely more power hungry, probably due to analog circuitry.

I’m guessing this means that you cam forget about being dawless using 12V ripcord+powerbank?

Thanks! It’s all a tiny box too - and it’s certainly way cooler than my laptop.

2 Likes

Ripcord, forget it. New PD-compatible Birdcord with a PD power bank should work.

[Edit: Andrew Huang’s video has an outdoor segment with a power bank. I didn’t look closely at the cord. He may have been lucky.]

1 Like

50C (122F) seems to be the expected operating temperature.

3 Likes

mine is pretty cool so far.

cause its still in a delivery van somewhere in mainland Europe 🥲

14 Likes

Check out the Mission Engineering 529M. Supplies up to 3amps.

1 Like

They all have the same power supply at 12V, 2A.

The DT and DN can also get pretty warm depending on use case.

Same power supply but not same power requirements based on the ratings on the backside. So I guess it means that they know the Syntakt needs more amp headroom.

1 Like

Doesnt the Andrew Huang ST launch video show himself using a ST with the Ripcord/USB brick combo?

I guess I missed the different ratings on the back.
It could be that it uses more power then, and it would make sense if it gets warmer in that case.
It could also be to avoid confusion with the power supply.

They all have different power draw anyway, the DN has 2 CPU’s, ST has extra analog components.

1 Like

it definitely gets hotter than my AHMKII, which is a bit… surprising.

Shouldn’t be that surprising, it has at least one distortion circuit similar to Analog Heat, on top of that are 4 analog voices and a CPU which has to do a lot more than the one in AH.

Those 4 analog voices can also be sent over USB audio if I’m not mistaken, which means there’s an extra A/D converter in there or a different one with more channels.

And the analog voices are probably always on, most synths tune their analog voices on startup.

All this in the same size enclosure.

4 Likes

Mine gets so hot that it’s able to warm my cold, cruel heart.

13 Likes

typo, 122F

1 Like

This is going to be the new “OT audio quality” trope, isn’t it?

3 Likes

Indeed. Edited. Thanks!

not hot but a little bit warm. Not as hot as the Behringer RD-9 which kann heat up your room.