How are people liking the Model: Samples?

What is the slot list management?

I am deciding between the DT and MS, I already have an MC and I love it.

I also have a AR mk2 but I don’t like the sample management and the drum engine much so I am thinking to sell it

There isn’t any. Which makes it arguably better if you have a well organised sample library.

It’s great, you can just churn patterns out like it’s nothing. I might even get a DT too at a later date, but I’m looking for something that isn’t Elektron to mix it up.

It’s a lot deeper than it might seem at 1st, but obviously DT is deeper. You can do basic granular, it sounds way better than you might expect with single cycle waveforms, the clipper is pretty good too.

1 Like

Thank

So basically can I just browse and listen through Samples without using the folder?

You could do that. I think he’s referring to the sample pool, which is what you import from the main directory to be able to sample lock with in DT. In M:S you don’t need to do that, you can just use anything from the main directory.

This is very nice

To be more specific,
On Digitakt and/or Rytm, there are 127 sample slots per project. This is a limitation that cannot be overcome. You can use sample chains to squeeze a bit more out of it, but then that becomes another thing you must manage.
Considering you have 64MB RAM, it is actually not very many slots, and you often end up with more unused space once the slot list is full

On Octatrack there are 128 flex and 128 static sample slots per project.

On MS, there is no slot list limitation whatsoever.
There are just 96 patterns x 6 tracks = 576 sample slots. You always have the maximum amount of sample slots a project could access, mathematically speaking.

The samples exist in the 64MB of RAM but are linked with hashes and there is no slot list to manage.
Having 576 places for 64MB worth of samples is much more worry-free in terms of management than 127 places for 64MB.

MS completely removes this layer of organization needed on Rytm or DT, because it is entirely unnecessary.
It means you can generally squeeze more out of a single project of an MS, even though MS projects are 96 patterns, and DT projects are 128 patterns. All 96 MS patterns can have 6 unique samples, where as all 128 DT patterns would have to share the same 127 samples.
In the end, for me, it means on stage I am working from a single project and won’t have to stop the sequencer to load another project. I can play live for 3 or 4 hours.

8 Likes

Thank you!

This is very useful and I had definitely missed this feature/difference with AR/DT

Spot on!!

I’m using my M:S on the couch so it could be wiggled in different ways than my M:C, i’ll try swapping the PSU in case there’s an intermittency there.

But has anyone noticed the Model: series turning off with minimal motion? I’ve lost work a few times when i’m in a groove and i suspect it’s the teeny tiny barrel connector trying to stay connected.

2 Likes

Quite a few times when using it on the bed yeah.

1 Like

It happened to me sometimes (M:S)
But it doesn’t occur now. Not sure if it’s cause a firmware update or maybe I am used to be extremely careful with it since that

In fact, I sent my unit to the shop where I bought it to check that, and we couldn’t reproduce it (maybe the firmware thing?)

I’ve only had it happen on the left side dc power input, from a usb battery pack.
Never on the rear DC power input.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m too busy yelling at it to think about what may have changed. I don’t recall moving it around all the time so could be firmware, but i’m on the latest and this doesn’t happen on my M:C that i’ve ever noticed so for all i know it could be a defective PSU and a point of strain in the barrel. I’ll swap them at some point and pay attention :slight_smile:

Hrm, it doesn’t seem to be triggered by motion or angle, could still be a bad PSU. Doubt there any debug logs accessible that i could look at.

I sold my MS but if I remember correctly I had this issue too. To me it seems like the power plug i used was too short. It fitted perfectly, but over time it seems to slip off just Half a millimeter so it looses contact.

1 Like

I just got the DT, but I think I might keep the M:S, I like swing per track, the distortion seems to be different, a bit cleaner, not quite as filthy, finger drumming, delay also seems different, reverb defo sound different on samples.

Also, atm I have 12 Elektron midi tracks with lfos doing nothing. I could also use the M:S to control my Sv1b as it has a nice Midi-cv unit. I have some more cables coming today, so I’ll try and test the differences between fx properly. If it’s worth it, I’ll upload a wav comparing the two.

3 Likes

Has anyone ever thought about using their M: S as a midi controller?
I am considering buying an M: S again and using it to control my MC707.
I know that I can’t change the Midi CC’s on the M: S, but I have my midihub for that. For example, I can turn the cutoff button on the M: S and the midihub translates the CC data for the MC707, so that the cutoff is changed there.
I could also take full advantage of the elektron sequencer. And the best part for me: with one button I can switch between 6 channels / tracks and always have the same controls to control 6 different synths on the MC707.

Did I miss something? or should it work like this? Does M: S send CC’s for each encoder? also p-locked?

Yes.

No.

3 Likes

I think it’s a great midi controller. But no p-locks though. Sequencer sends note and velocity only I believe.

1 Like

I’ve literally just mapped my M:S to some parameters in Live and it works great - the encoders are mapped to Turnado and then I’ve used the first 8 notes of the keyboard to control the Looper - works well :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-x9Y0jg-Qo

3 Likes