How are people liking the Model: Samples?

Perfect!
Thanks boss

1 Like

Haha yeah, I’ve been so impressed with the Cycles and how immediate it is that I’ll probably end up getting the Samples at some point, despite already having DT and OT! Love the one knob per function, especially new things like the chance knob. Shame it can’t sample on board though.

3 Likes

just got mine and so far loving it and enjoying reading thru everything on here.
Q: how well do the elektron sample packs for digitone work with the M:S ?
should be good as they are all wav files but just curious is there’s any thing i should be aware prior to purchasing any

Mine arrived a few days ago. Buttons and pads are weird af but I’ll adapt. I’m still curating through my MPC sessions and samples and hoping to distill the essence of those sessions for the MS.
Playing with stock sounds and sequencer has already revealed much about how I’ll use it to start. LOVE the hold pad to mute track. There’s a quite tactile nature to the device in general… No octave up down buttons is odd though.
Aesthically, one of my favorite purchases in ages

I’ve been stealing from my Octa sample library and they work fine.
I guess the only convenience you don’t have is them being arranged as per the 6 tracks, but that’s no biggie.

thanks man! ya that’s no biggie i can work with that.
i was reading your post that you were going to grab the M:C and they were out and got the samples… lol same story here… didn’t want to wait and know that i want em both eventually anyway.
looking forward to grabbing the cycles tho

1 Like

question. if i purchase a sound pack not designed for the M:S do you get the wav files or just the syx file? i was hoping to have access to the wavs so i could organize them on the computer then move them over to the ms in 6 packs, the free demo only comes with syx so i’m worries the full pack is syx only

They come as .wav
Have a try with this pack that is available for free https://www.elektron.se/soundpacks/sizzler/?utm_source=elek_000s&utm_medium=social&utm_content=sound_pack-single_image&utm_campaign=global-sizzler_01_04-

2 Likes

Sorry for the dumb question… No doubt asked and answered numerous times but…

Is it possible to record smooth parameter automation over multiple steps on the model samples (and/or all electron sequencers), or is is always stepped?

I get that theirs always gonna be a degree of quantisation in a sequencer but I’m just trying to record a smooth sweep and getting stepping.

Thanks

Always stepped unfortunately.

1 Like

Cheers… thought I was going mad

1 Like

Yes you can do this and it’s a simple work around. All you need to do is start your slaved Elektron on it’s own and arm the live record then stop it with your master sequencer. The next time you start your master sequencer your slaved Elektron will start with live record armed. Hope that make sense.

1 Like

I’ve had mine for a few weeks now and I’m really loving it.

I previously owned a digitakt so its hard not to compare the two

As a pure sample based drum machine. I actually prefer the MS. Chance is such a great feature. Of course you can do the same on DT, but it’s more streamlined and quicker. And that extends to the rest of the machine as well. Because you don’t have to go through pages, there are motion sequences that can be performed on the model that can’t be done on the digitakt. (not as quickly anyway)

I also prefer the 16x1 sequencer layout to the 8x2.

So that’s how I’m using it. As a pure drum machine and it’s been the best one I’ve had so far.

It really does need a mute mode though. That’s my only complaint. I’ve had to do some pretty difficult one handed stretches from func to like trig 6 or higher when jamming. I don’t expect a ton of updates, but this is one that I think the machine absolutely needs

I’m not much of a finger drummer. But I will say that if you are, the pads are lacking. You have to hit them just right. Even the circuit was better for this and it’s not great either

3 Likes

Can you mute/unmute via cc, so that you could use an external controller for muting tracks while jamming?

Hi there,
I’m playing with the Model:Samples since few days now and I’m loving it so much !!!

I’m initially a guitarist and always wanted to play with some electronic sounds and samples. I tried DAW’s but was tired with the workflow, it wasn’t for me, I was losing all creativity + I can’t stay in front of a screen for hours.

I’m still in the learning curve with the M:S, but it’s actually quite easy to manipulate after few tutorials and it’s so simple to express your creativity through the vast bank sounds, chromatic recordings etc.

It’s so satisfying to be able to adjust all parameters without navigating through menus.

The quality is really good. But I’m more concerned with the lifetime of the product, and I’m pretty sure playing with an additional midi keyboard will help with the life expectancy of some buttons.

2 Likes

i also think the 16 linear steps are waaaaay better than the 8 over 8. i always refer to this and people are like ‘wut?’
maybe i’m just old school, idk.

2 Likes

Did anyone else use Romplers back in the day?

I would have killed for an E-mu Proteus 2000 with an Elektron sequencer strapped on it.
And this is kind of the way I’ve come to view the Model:Samples. Since you cannot “sample” but rather import .wavs over USB via Transfer (think of them as custom ROMs).

I load it up with loads of usable content that I’ve spent time curating, and now that that’s done I don’t even think about it. I just work with what I’ve got.

I see a lot of comments like:

And yea, that’s fair. We each have our unique needs, but I really think it’s all about perspective. I’ve never looked at M:S as a “sampler”, since ya, it can’t sample. It’s not a sampler. If you want a “sampler” then don’t buy a “not a sampler”.
Looking at it from the perspective of what it can’t do, just leads to dismissal of an otherwise useful tool.
Looking at it from the perspective of what it can do (1GB is a lot of content, and it’s all user customizable! Proteus 2000 could only import up to 128MB with expansions) really makes one appreciate it for what it is… more of a custom rompler with a kick-ass sequencer, than a sampler.

11 Likes

Myself, I welcome the restrictions, I think that’s the way to creativity and having happy accidents. I also wanted a machine that I could use for making beats and messing with samples, and I actually preferred getting something simpler and more toy-like so that I could have fun rather than be a serious musician.

Model:Samples satisfies all these conditions and is also very affordable. I find it very easy to sit down and create some interesting ideas with it, whether danceable or totally experimental. Yeah, you could do everything in Ableton, but I get really lost and exhausted trying to work in Ableton, and I get enthusiastic and inspired when I work with Model:Samples. I also own a Korg Volca Beats and used to own a Korg ER-1. I found out that I prefer sample based beat making more than analog based, not to mention that Model:Samples actually has a warm sound for a digital product. I also like that I can make beats that sound different than the 808/909 based stuff, cause that’s what I’m looking for.

What I found a little annoying is that the user interface is not 100% intuitive. Maybe it’s like 50% intuitive and for the rest you have to read the manual to find out all the useful shortcuts. I also really like the built-in effects, I only wish it had a separate delay time per track rather than a global one. Then again, restrictions, it makes me get creative without just adding more delay.

So all in all I’m happy I bought this and I’m still just beginning to discover what it can do.

7 Likes

I like it, the functionality is great, the 6 tracks are less limited now that there is the sample locks), the build quality is good (plastic is OK when done well) but the disappointment is the LCD screen, this is very limited, LCD is very old technology and is a backwards step because you need more characters to see the sample library and the contrast/resolution is not good, they should have put OLED on this, if Native Instruments can do this with a cheap item like the Maschine Micro 3 then Elektron should have done it. They lose marks on the cheapo LCD display. In addition more audio channels over USB - they should have at least made it 6 channels, one for each track.

Hey All

I’m a fairly recent M:S adoptee and I love it too - I’m a bassist (jazzy stuff) and long time Ableton user and was looking for a drum machine with a twist and this is really why I love the M:S - I’ve dived as deep as I can with it since lockdown started in March and have been working the beats into my Live set - I love the way it sounds - kind of pristine but punchy - and today i created some beautiful bass loops (glitchy chords etc) and am blown away by how they can be made to sound so wicked in this box…

My ONE complaint is the Transfer folder on my M:S never shows all the folders in there and I have to go out and in again to access them all. Not sure why - but if I load three folders at a time they are all visible…

Anyway I’m loving it and probably won’t buy a DT now!

2 Likes