Sample management and playback on M:S

Hello all! I couldn’t think of a good title for this topic but my question is as follows:

When you load a project on M:S and play patterns with samples in them, does the M:S uses the actual file structure to access these samples and play them back? Or each sample used in a project is stored somewhere else, separately from the rest of the samples? I see that the diagram of the data structure in the manual shows 576 samples but I don’t understand this well…

What I want to know is, if I erase or change folder names or re-organize my samples
on the M:S, will that affect my projects that are already stored with samples assigned to them?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

My understanding from reading here is that if you rearrange your samples (change name, move to another folder) then the m:s keeps track ok. It works because each file is internally identified by a unique signature (a ‘hash’) that is derived from the audio content.

Interested to find out what happens if you try to delete a sample that’s being used though.

EDIT: See also

EDIT 2: The definitive story from the manual.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment, @bibenu. I will try to erase and re-write all of my samples but organized differently later today. I don’t mind if my projects get affected. I don’t have many of them so I’m willing to take a chance! Once I do that I will post an update.

Regards,

1 Like

You could always load a special sample onto your M:S , include it in a pattern, then try and delete it. BUT for this to make sense, the new sample has to have different audio content to anything else on your model samples. if its exactly the same audio content as something else (e.g. you just rename an existing sample and load it again), it could well have the same hash, and the experiment might not prove anything.

CAVEAT: I don’t own a model samples, what I’m saying is based on what I’ve read … and on understanding hashes.

@bibenu, so I deleted all of my samples from the M:S, re-organized them in different folders and added some new samples and then transferred them back to the M:S. None of my projects were affected by that, however I didn’t rename the files, just put them in new folders (I did change the folder structure though). Didn’t try to delete a certain sample and see if the project that uses it gets affected. Maybe will try this another day.

Greetings!

5 Likes

I’ve done pretty much the same but also renamed them -with Bulk Rename Utility- and the MS recognized the sample each time.

1 Like