HOT UPGRADE not for OT? join, help us to have those features

did you see this?
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/tarekith-hints-at-new-ar-sequencer-features/15566/128218

something that a new upgrade to A4 and rythm will have NEW SEQ FEATURES
“probability functions for the steps and triggers”
simon wrote
Using modulus you can really go in-depth and meticulously create an extremely complex (or just well varied) pattern with an easy to use function.

For those of you who are not familiar with modulus, what it does is that it lets you set a rule for each trigger which decides if the trigger will trigger or not when the sequencer is playing at the time of the specific trigger.

You can for example decide that Trigger A is only going to actually trigger every fourth, third, etc time the sequencer goes over it’s position in the grid.

It’s a very powerful and fun tool which can easily make 16 steps feel like 128 in terms of variation.

i will love to see them include in the OT update too… i m tired to recive bug fixes

please make some noise to elektron people hear us!!!
we want this we deserve it ;), since a lot of time waiting for some new tools

Seriously the OT sequencer has a swag of features that nicer the Rytm or A4 have - including midi out.
Personally I don’t get the constant griping about the OT when it does way more than the MnM and MD do sequencer wise and people aren’t continually asking for sequencer upgrades / updates on those units either.
It is what it is and should have been bought on that basis and not on some never ending wish list.
Between the OT’s arp, mid track divisors, step length variables and micro timing you get way more than enough meat to create dynamically evolving sequences that don’t need probability triggers.
In fact it is quite easy to create constantly evolving and moving sequences that sound like those tools are employed anyway on the OT.
One of the things I love about the A4 against the MnM is the fact that both sequencer yield vastly different results based on feature implementation and when combined offer something more than either does on its own.
The OT already has a severely overblown feature set IMHO.
I found it did too much as opposed to too little which is why I got rid of it and purchased a second MnM instead. How much more functionality can be crammed into that thing without it becoming more of a multi-button push nightmare is quite frankly beyond me.

Nah, if the tag line for it is “constant upgrades and development”, or words to that effect, you’d expect some owners to in turn expect that - to me it’s totally understandable.

If they feel as if it’s been too long since the last upgrade then speak away,.As far as I’m concerned.

What was the last significant OS update? Dark verb and spatializer?

If there is no fancy sequencer additions for the OT, there should be an explanation as to why. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I like new features and updates but trying to petition for them is tacky and just representative of how entitled we’ve all become.

You can always send them a request via customer support, and they will reply. But they’ve already stated that future OT updates will just be bug fixes, so don’t get your hopes up. It’s 5 years old and plenty capable as it is.

Granted, the MD got some nice new features 10 years in… Maybe we’ll get some nice surprises down the road but making demands isn’t going to help.

Ah, I missed that. Do you have a link to this announcement? Can’t find it on Google and I’d be pretty surprised is Elektron had said this?

Nobody is expected to supply new features ad infinitum. That’s ridiculous. Support and bug fixes, sure. But THEY PROMISED CONSTANT DEVELOPMENT give me a break, this is the real world.

There are limitations to what can be done, how much new code can be written, and how much time can be spent on this kind of thing.

There will always be someone though who isn’t pleased. Even as these new features are added to the other machines, people are already complaining.

Want constant updates? Try a laptop.

When? Where?

When? Where?[/quote]
I’d really like to know this I can’t remember this, and I think I would have? Seems like big news.

I think it’s pretty low to pay someone out because they have a genuine question, and then criticize them for a low thread count.

Elektronauts is a tiny feature - he could be an OT ninja, you just don’t know… :wink:

The phrase “2 pounds of sausage in a 1 pound casing” comes to mind.

When? Where?[/quote]
I’d really like to know this I can’t remember this, and I think I would have? Seems like big news.[/quote]
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/tarekith-hints-at-new-ar-sequencer-features/15566/127596
Not official, but close.

It’s reasonable to assume the Octatrack’s architecture is dated, compared to the analogue machines. As such, it probably doesn’t share as much in the code base that a feature set implemented in the newer machines, easily translates into the Octatrack, for example.

The fact that the sequencers are similar, is just a frontend to a design that’s stood the test of time.

The actual architecture driving the different instruments, could be completely different, and I’d guess they are, seeing as they’re powered by different hardware and interact with external hardware differently as well.

I have no idea, of course. I’m just guessing.

But based on Elektron’s general actions as a company, it seems more likely they’re not ignoring their Octatrack users, but simply acknowledge that a piece of hardware that probably saw its first iteration as a prototype somewhere in 2009, is what it is at 2015. Everything ages.

Now go ahead and flame me, you know you want to.

From my seat the last thing the OT UI could be criticised for is a lack of options - it’s a ‘wafer thin mint’ away from breaking
Besides, with 3 LFOs per track there’s often room to drop one/two on randomising things - and there is already a pseudo probability workaround when targeting volume and tbh, i think dynamic variations are often more interesting (it uses custom LFOs, on another thread)
anyway - i think they’ve done this new stuff for reasons other than popular elektronauts’ causes - so what will come along, if anything, likely has nothing to do with these little dramas that pepper these pages
making the Pickup Machines be everything they could be would be the cause i’d back along with general finesse - not holding my breath in the meantime whilst OB is unfinished - tbh, i’m surprised they’re meddling with the A# boxes until it’s all sorted

1 Like

this has been commented on, the analog boxes are supposedly built on a totally different basis, such that pulling code from older boxes was just impossible - < might have come from Simon/Olle on another thread a few months back

I have no interest in having this probability feature on the OT - if you have a creative bone in your body you can figure out some pretty obvious ways to achieve this with the OS as it is and as it has been for years.

If you want to whine about features missing from the Octatrack you can do a lot better than this. Adding this into the Octatrack UI would probably be a nightmare and it probably wouldn’t be fun to use.

The phrase “2 pounds of sausage in a 1 pound casing” comes to mind.[/quote]
In a nutshell…yes.

from the other thread - yes i do want this in the OT… please. I want all the things in the OT. why not make it even more awesome? modulus please. it’s basically a little slice of a numerology (512 numerology) like sequencer and it’d be really fun to have in the OT and a gold mine for live performance.

When? Where?[/quote]
I’d really like to know this I can’t remember this, and I think I would have? Seems like big news.[/quote]
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/tarekith-hints-at-new-ar-sequencer-features/15566/127596
Not official, but close.[/quote]
Ah! Okay. I’ll wait for the official statement, as opposed to someone’s suppositions…
FTR, I’m not fussed if there’s no new SEQ features with the OT, but I think that explaining why they can’t be implemented therein would be a really good thing to do :slight_smile:

Kotare,

I was at an overbridge presentation recently. A lot of us asked the boys about OT development, similarly wanting tweaks here and there, and I can tell you they were pretty adamant about the “only bug fixes in the future” thing. What everyone on this thread is saying is pretty much true. There’s no more room for new features. The hardware is getting old and it’s just crammed to the gills. Trust me, we really pushed them on it, asking “why not?” So they clearly understand how strongly people feel about the OT. It really just has to do with technical limitations. Or at least that’s what we were lead to believe.

1 Like

Okay - thank you for that.

It’s easier to believe someone when they give the back story, there’s a bunch of hearsay around here sometimes, and I appreciate the answer.

I’m not too fussed! I like my OT! I use it every day. I’d like more features lol but its okay for me the way that it is.

I remember someone from Elektron saying that there’d never be an OT2, or did I get that wrong? Relatively recently too I think.

Anyway, this thread is about new developments of features for my AR and AK, so that’s brilliant :slight_smile:

1 Like