HOT UPGRADE not for OT? join, help us to have those features

If they said there would never be an OT2 they’d probably sell more OT’s I think.
I know part of the reason I hold off on getting is because I worry I’ll buy it at the worst possible time.
I’d probably buy one before the end of the year if I could be sure it wasn’t about to be replaced, lol.

But honestly, I pretty much just want it for live playback/remixing of stems I make in the studio so I’d probably be fine with the OT just the way it is…

Fair enough if it’s only bug fixes from now on. As long they all get squished!

FWIW tho I have a hard time believing that its the OT hardware components andd internal architecture that are stopping any further development. Things like an adjustable threshold ‘slice to transients’ option would be simple inclusions if they were on top things in the lab. Either people’s speculation that the original coders have bailed are right or Elektron have been harvesting our suggestions/requests and adding them to their own ideas for inclusion in OT 2 or similar. OT is great either way… but seriously thinking about full u-turn and saving up for a push 2/surface pro combo atm…dont know how much use I’ll have for OT after that…

Holy shit, I have the dark trinity and love my OT, but for fuck’s sake, let the Rytm and Analog 4 get some of their own updates goddammit.

i think everyone here is ‘pro update’ for everything.

it’s just people re curious, asking questions and having desire for those new A4/RYTM features to be in the OT because they sound like really amazing features and would be really useful and super fun in the OT.

if that makes us all “entitled whiners” then so be it.

OT is super powerful/flexible/fun as it is but those new features are mighty appealing so who wouldn’t want them?

Threads like this one where users make demands and shout down Elektron for not granting their every wish, remind me of the ‘special’ students at Yale who are currently trying to get a professor fired because he didn’t ban Halloween costumes (apparently this special group of individuals were extremely afraid that they might see an “offensive” costume). Huge groups of young people hyperventilating and screaming bloody-murder because they didn’t get their way.

This is the day and age of super-whiner. It’s fucking pathetic to see how emotionally charged people become over shit that means absolutely nothing. It’s as if they have no perspective on life. They forget how much they have and how much they have been given.

If my words offend you, you don’t need an apology. You need thicker skin, and a more mature understanding of what is “owed” to you (which is nothing).

For the most part I agree with you, but I’m kind of on the side of the complainers on this one. If my memory serves correctly, I believe that since the last major OT update, the Analog 4 has received: polyphony, + Drive, Overbridge, and now this new addition. Meanwhile, there’s been a handful of recent minor bugfixes for the Octatrack, many of which seem to break one thing while fixing another.

Elektron doesn’t owe us anything, and it’s great that they still are providing support, but given the lack of attention to the Octatrack over the last 2-3 years compared to their last few offerings, it seems abandoned. Even as a big fan of the OT I’m wondering if I maybe shouldn’t sell it off and go back to Ableton + Push 2, and hope that they release a MK2 within a year that is more forward looking.

The OT is not abandoned. It’s done.

1 Like

+1

Overbrigde for OT :wink:

I don’t have this machine but it seems to have a lot of powerful features!
I wonder if i should buy one, since i got an mpc but not the live trimming function (and so many features that can help me for live playing)
BTW, if they thinks they can’t do more, why not opening the source code and letting orther genius working on it (like jjos on mpc).
Maybe, its really too hard, maybe not…

This is a myth. Neither the stock MPC OS nor JJ OS are open source. The story is that JJ is a former Akai developer who took his inside knowledge and dev tools with him and made his own version of the OS. Elektron is not going to give away their intellectual property, even if there were more than a handful of developers in the world that would make use of it.

This is a myth. Neither the stock MPC OS nor JJ OS are open source. The story is that JJ is a former Akai developer who took his inside knowledge and dev tools with him and made his own version of the OS. Elektron is not going to give away their intellectual property, even if there were more than a handful of developers in the world that would make use of it. [/quote]
actually JJ was part of a two man development team working for akai japan when numark bought akai us, and later akai japan. nukai wanted the os to release the 1k, but it was unfinished. JJ wanted to get paid for the work they’d done in finalising and completing the OS but nukai wouldn’t come to the party, so they kept their work and continued developing, eventually leaking it out into the user community for beta testing, and later, sale. the mpc was released anyway with a flawed OS and numerous other problems that have gradually been addressed over the years.

in a strange twist this became one of the best publicity stunts for akai, and i’m sure they’re now very happy with jj and supporting him in some way.
but i totally agree, elektron are not going to release that info… it would lead to loads of half-baked os’s and bricked units. waaaay more trouble than benefits.
(sorry for blathering on about the JJ OS there, just a pet topic of mine!)

1 Like

This is a myth. Neither the stock MPC OS nor JJ OS are open source. The story is that JJ is a former Akai developer who took his inside knowledge and dev tools with him and made his own version of the OS. Elektron is not going to give away their intellectual property, even if there were more than a handful of developers in the world that would make use of it. [/quote]
actually JJ was part of a two man development team working for akai japan when numark bought akai us, and later akai japan. nukai wanted the os to release the 1k, but it was unfinished. JJ wanted to get paid for the work they’d done in finalising and completing the OS but nukai wouldn’t come to the party, so they kept their work and continued developing, eventually leaking it out into the user community for beta testing, and later, sale. the mpc was released anyway with a flawed OS and numerous other problems that have gradually been addressed over the years.

in a strange twist this became one of the best publicity stunts for akai, and i’m sure they’re now very happy with jj and supporting him in some way.
but i totally agree, elektron are not going to release that info… it would lead to loads of half-baked os’s and bricked units. waaaay more trouble than benefits.
(sorry for blathering on about the JJ OS there, just a pet topic of mine!)[/quote]

Thanks for the additional information: I didn’t know the full story.

‘Probability’ and ‘fill’ modes should also be implemented for Octatrack OS, don’t you agree?

:wink:

Pretty please?

1 Like

I bugged them about this at NAMM. Unfortunately, it isn’t going to happen.

That said, it’s extremely likely that such a feature would be included in an OT MKII if that ever comes to be.

1 Like

Octatrack Users,

I am a happy owner of the Dark Trinity… love them. I am always learning something new from them. And, well, i love them. However, life was “square” before the trigger probability was introduced on RYTM and Analog4. And now, it is not SQUARE anymore, the amount of dynamic it brought to the table helped me to increase exponentially the music i enjoy making.

So, i decided to bring this topic up again to check if we could mass request this feature on Octatrack in order to make consistent the bonding between. Right now, i just feel like something is missing… and this gap would, again, help us to jump (AGAIN) to another level.

What you guys think about it ?

I’ve read some people talking about a possible market conflict between Octatrack and Digitakt. To me, it makes no sense. Even having Octatrack, i will buy Digitakt. And thats because i have more then 8 external MIDI hardwares to sequence and the digitakt will just fill perfectly my gap… cheaper then another Octatrack.

Anyways, this is just the first step. Share your thoughts. Maybe i am dreaming too high… maybe not. But i do believe we could make it happen.

LeeO

We could make a petition… what do you think ?

I think their answer will be that it is not possible with the OT, but that you can do this with the Digitakt.

Elektron are quite aware of the desire people have for the OT to have the same features of the boxes that followed it (ie trig conditions and OB). But the current hardware does not support these things, and they won’t be added regardless of how much people plead their case. Their response to all of this is basically the DT. If an OT MKII ever materializes, I’m sure those same features will be present there, but I wouldn’t anticipate a new OT coming any time soon with the release of the DT.

2 Likes

I dont buy the “the hardware does not support that”. It is a logical implementation…
I wouldn’t mind to add some money to have them to develop it. Really. If we join forces, i believe we can work this out thru a petition.

Petitions are going to get you nowhere … if the OT was sold as having this feature on its roadmap and it wasn’t happening then you could resort to this if all other approaches failed

Have you stopped to think how this would even be implemented on the device, Elektron won’t be adding new functionality to the OT, but even if they were to want to, where do you suppose the feature would reside (it’s rhetorical, there isn’t any logical UI room) … besides, the OT allows the user to do so much in any case, especially with the powerful custom LFOs

Elektron will not bow to a petition for a feature request on end of life gear, it would be madness for them to do so and also for you to consume energy in this utterly fruitless endeavour imho

3 Likes