Hip HopBattle #29 The Doors Voting and Feedback

Sorry for the delay, here’s the playlist.
We have fourteen great tracks

Voting will be the usual method.
Vote for your top three

1st 3 points
2nd 2 points
3rd. 1 point

Votes to be in please by Tuesday the 19th

Hope you all enjoy the playlist and thanks for taking part :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

another great collection of beats! y’all impress me with your sampling chops, got through one listen through, gonna get one more in before doing some voting. these got me wanting to write some raps lol

7 Likes

Apparently, The Doors’ vibe seems inspiring :heat: It took me several listens to make a choice.

1st Track 12
Nice interlude/intro before the track kicks off with that dark boombap spirit (love it) This beat always keeps the listener in, through movements and breaks. The mix is good too, presence and clarity.

2nd Track 05
Great drum part (live recorded?), which gives a jam session feeling. Powerful and intense. Great control of the tension/resolution in this track.

3rd Track 02
Such jazzy vibe over here, that sax sound terrible with that crispy beat!

HM
Track 04 Guitar sound in the intro reminds me « the gas station scene » in 1996 Romeo+Juliet adaptation (yeah, memories are weird sometimes…), and some classic vibes from the 90s for sure :wink: Am I insane? Great track!

Track 07 Soaring, smooth and dreamy atmosphere for this ballad. Really nice.

Track 08 Nice and effective abstract track, great mixing as well.

Track 11 Organic and messy (in a good way), that bass line has some Portishead’s vibe for me (Revenge of the number).

Great work @everyone!

8 Likes

Cool stuff, guys. My top 3 would be:

#1 Track 10: Great combination of the proper Doors vibe and a really enjoyable beat.

#2 Track 04: Very close to “Black Sunday” period Cypress Hill, love it. And yet, with a recognizable touch of the Doors.

#3 Track 02: If it weren’t for the context of a “The Doors” beat battle, this would have been my favourite by far. Wonderful stuff. But it’s lacking a bit of Doors for me :wink:

7 Likes

Great beats everyone!

#1 - Track 4 - First listen when the screetch noise comes in me go ‘ahaaaaa!’, laugh and then the head nod and screw face kicked in. Cheeky. Love it.

#2 - Track 11 - Smashing drums. Sounds like lots of subtle stuff and textures going on to keep it intriguing. Very dope.

#3 - Track 12 - Love the intro. Second half is like Mobb Deep meets The Doors. Great.

Near top 3’s…
Track 2 - I’m kinda jealous I didn’t find the horn samples haha. Great vibe all round.
Track 7 - Lovely chilled track.
Track 13 - Love the second half when it goes half time/slower. Appreciate how abstract the samples have been taken.

Big up Yabba for hosting and introducing me to more Doors tunes beyond the obvious stuff that was made famous by films and that :joy:

7 Likes

Will check later.

Really dope beats. such different styles, amazing.
okay, here are my top three:

#1 - track 2 - the horns sample is so nice. I need to know where this is from… smooth and soulful. Fantastic.

#2 - track 12 - simple, dusty, dirty. mob deep vibe. just my type of 90s boom bap.

#3 - track 10 - best mix and sound quality, I am envy. great vocal sample. gives me that old Kanye vibe

honorable mention track 05 - really nice drum programming/playing?! and great sample chopping

Thanks to Yabba for hosting and the great idea.

6 Likes

Quick vote before I leave for a skiing trip:

1: Track 2 (I think I know who made this)

2: track 12

3: track 6

HM: track 4

5 Likes

Great stuff! This is the first time I’ve taken part in a hip-hop battle here and I’m blown away by the skills on display. My top 3:

#1: Track 04. Killer beat, super catchy, love that the scratch sample is tuned to the bass. Great attention to detail!

#2: Track 08: Love the melancholic vibes on this one. Piano is killer, organ hook is A+!

#3: Track 13: Almost all of us (myself included) went for an 80s/90s boom bap vibe so this is a nice change of pace. Very reminiscent to me of mid-00s wonky hip-hop… reminds me of Dabrye, which is always welcome!

6 Likes

Hi,
enjoyed this battle, thanks Yabba,
The doors have an enormous wealth of great sound for sampling.
Love the diverse beats that were made.

1. track 4 - original and good sound

2. track 10 - groovy and good production

3. track 5 - rock on, good energy

HM:
track 2 - for how you used the horns
track 8 - nice atmospheric beat
track 14 - original swamp funk

7 Likes
  1. track 1 - I love this sound trippy new age

2. track 5 - This is why i enjoy the doors the vibe

3. track 10 - Another treat

8 Likes

1 - Track 08 - Really enjoyed this track, just nice :beers:

2 - Track 12 - Ultra large, phat, are just two words that can be used to describe this big beat :beers:

3 - Track 04 - Just when the brain was about to finish the thought of “this sounds like it would fit nicely with some Cypress Hill,” their lyrics came in, and I couldn’t be a happier listener in that moment. Cool vocal work amongst the beat, and Jim Morrison’s vocals have a similar effect like the song “Step Into A World” :beers:

HMs
@everyone had awesome tracks but these were battling in the noggin:
Track 1 - Nice vinyl grain boom baps!
Track 3 - Enjoyed the humor laced in this fun track!
Track 6 - Drums and bass are super delicious on this track!
Track 7 - This is such a lovely track to wander off with!
Track 9 - Cool vocal mix on this track!
Track 10 - Funky intro that leads massively into the awesome Poor Otis section!

This was a fun challenge to delve into @Yabba and thanks for hosting another exciting journey on a band that I overlooked for many years. Congratulations to @everyone for creating the sweet flavors present in this playlist to nod the head to! I had a blast jamming with you all, and looking forward to another sweet voyage! :cool:

8 Likes

My votes!

1st: Track 4 - This beat is inspirational and straight up hard. It makes nonrappers want to rap and gets the brain moving in a fun way. Could see lots of different rappers being great on this one.

2nd: Track 8 - Another great beat for some bars to be spat on top of. Love the live feeling drums, the organ samples are really nice too.

3rd: Track 2 - This is a great summer time road trip beat. I can picture having this on repeat to freestyle over while driving to a campground. Cheery, bright and fun.

Great stuff everyone, it was cool seeing what everyone connected with.

6 Likes

My favorites
1-track 8
2-track 7
3-track4
No mental energy for extended commentary atm but lots of cool stuff, it’s interesting to imagine peoples approaches

6 Likes

Fun to take part, although my beat pales in comparison… :blush: Many impressive beats but to name my favorites:

1. Track 10
  2. Track 2
  3. Track 4
5 Likes

Thanks for getting the votes in so far guys. :slightly_smiling_face:
A really great selection of beats, We still have four people to vote including myself which I’ll do later.

We’ve had 2 votes from people that didn’t take part so far and although it’s great to get the feedback and don’t want to discourage that, we always only count the votes of those that took part to see who hosts the next one.
I’ll work out who else hasn’t voted and @ them later when I get home

4 Likes

1st. 12 - kind of reminded me of something on Bully Records or Heardrums.

2nd. 14 - giving heavy Grand Royal vibes. Dirty in the most beautiful of ways.

3rd. 8 - Killarmy have this beat on speed dial. Can’t tell me otherwise.

Heavy stuff all round!

6 Likes

Here’s my votes.
I liked every submission and it’s never easy.

1st -8
Great beat, love the organ when it drops in the vocal snippets and the overall mood of the beat.

2nd -2
Love that sample and the way it’s used.
Classic sound and can’t wait to hear where the sample’s from.

3rd -4
Another great beat with that classic sound.
Proper head nodder, Really nice use of the samples too.

Shouts to everyone else, and it’ll be great to hear what you all used after the votes are done.

Just waiting on two more votes, considering time zone differences I’ll wait till tomorrow evening (weds) uk time to put the names to the beats

7 Likes

I also liked every submission. Hard to choose a third, but here goes. My top 3:

#1: Track 08—The beat that hits me hardest. An infectious mood, great use of the material.

#2: Track 10—Best use of samples and combining multiple songs together.

#3: Track 12—I really liked this one, especially the guitar and background sounds.

HM:
Track 07—I spent a long time working on a Blue Sunday beat and couldn’t get it to sound good, so my hat is truly off to you!

5 Likes

Hello everyone

We are lacking on one vote still but I’ll put up the winner now, and the tracks on sound cloud now have been named

1st @looms

2nd @Lailai

3rd Yabba

As usual I didn’t count the 2 votes from those that didn’t take part but if i did the only difference would have been lailai winning by 1 point so it was very close.

Well done to both looms and lailai
Absolutely great beats!

It’s down to looms to host the next one or pass the baton if you wish, and I really hope all that took part do so again as you all helped make this a really cool beat tape.

But before then I’m hoping you guys will let us know behind the scenes of the making of your beat

12 Likes