Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 37 | Zeca Do Trombone (feat. Azymuth) - Ave Anne

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

Thank you all for joining in another week of sampling goodness! Before we get into our artist and track in focus, and in case you aren’t already aware, there are some other Mission Briefs/Challenges currently taking place that you may also fancy spending some time on here:

@everyone, I couldn’t wait for the actual records from the recent e-digs to arrive as they’ll probably not be in for another week, or so. However, I’d like to shoutout Sergi from Altercat records for being cool with letting us use these sounds, and I’d just like to recommend the company to other vinyl lovers because they’re good people/ good business. Anyways, shipping was not excuse enough to not enjoy embarking into the funky Brazilian flavors of Zeca Do Trombone this week! The world unfortunately lost Zeca last year on June 20, so may his memory be honored through a brief moment peering into an earlier work of his, joined together with the well-known Brazilian jazz-funk group, Azymuth. “Ave Anne,” is a bonus release / track 7 from Zeca Do Trombone’s re-issued album titled, “Rota-Mar,” which was released originally in 1980 on Continental Records (Continental [3] – 1.01.404.280), and on November 26, 2021 on Altercat Records (ALT012).

Here is what little information is available about Zeca do Trombone, and the album, from Wikipedia and Altercat:

José da Silva ( Rio de Janeiro , August 7 , 1944 — Rio de Janeiro, June 20 , 2023 ), better known by the pseudonym Zeca do Trombone , was a Brazilian instrumentalist . [ two ]

In addition to being considered one of the best instrumentalists in Brazil, [ 3 ] he gained notoriety for working with several Brazilian popular music artists , such as Elizeth Cardoso , Pery Ribeiro , Carlos Dafé , Tim Maia , Beth Carvalho , Alcione , Martinho da Vila , Marlene , Wando , Milton Nascimento , Gonzaguinha , Ivan Lins , Ara Ketu and Negritude Júnior . [ two ])

-Taken from Wikipedia.org

"Mainly known to DJs for the funk groover “Te Queria”, Rota-Mar is the first solo album by the charismatic Zéca do Trombone. During a vertiginous career which started in the late 60s, Zéca was a permanent member of Wilson Simonal’s band, toured with Luiz Eça’s Sagrada Família (alongside Joyce, Naná Vasconcelos, Nelson Angelo and others), recorded the seminal Brazilian funk “Coluna do Meio” for his joint effort with Roberto Sax, and played and recorded for some of the big names of Brazilian music such as Tim Maia or Martinho da Vila. Particularly for samba artists such as Alcione, Leci Brandão or Moreira da Silva, Zéca do Trombone was the trombonist of choice.

Rota-Mar displays the work of an established musician who has nothing to prove. Impregnated with Zéca’s characteristic voice, the songs draw inspiration from the sea, love and bohemian life, and let us all dream of what life in Rio the Janeiro was during that time. “Te Queria”, penned by Zéca’s childhood friend Elízio de Búzios (known for his highly collectable funk/boogie single “Tamanqueiro”) is the obvious highlight, although we believe the real beauty of the album lies in the relaxed sea-side groove and MPB in the rest of the songs, including Zéca’s superb take on Martinho da Vila’s “Manteiga de Garrafa”.

As bonus tracks to this reissue, we include both sides from Zéca’s rare 1977 single, featuring the allmighty trio Azymuth.

The physical version comes with an 8-page booklet (24-page in the CD version) with bilingual (Portuguese / English) liner notes by Brazilian journalist Marcelo Pinheiro and previously unpublished pictures from the artist’s archive. "

- From Altercat Album Listing

Here are two versions of the track available on YouTube, in case anyone experiences regional playback issues:

Here is a link to a version of the track that has been converted to 16bit/44.1KHz wav, and to the STEMS, please delete it after using:

ZECA DO TROMBONE (FEAT. AZYMUTH) - AVE ANNE (WAV)

ZECA DO TROMBONE (FEAT. AZYMUTH) - AVE ANNE (STEMS)

links are active for one week from today (03/16/24)

Album Photos:

images from google search

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even your local coin laundry repair technician.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Sunday, March 24, 2024

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, March 24, 2024, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. Submissions entered on later dates are also welcome!

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collections, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

8 Likes

Was listening to this just now, and was curious so I translated the lyrics, and here are the results for anyone curious :rofl: The funk in Brazil is on different levels!

5 Likes

I challenge you to rap these over your beat :joy:

5 Likes

An unconscious jam. Also sampled Jd beck from instagram.

5 Likes

@looms lmao a modern take on a classic, I like where you’re head is at :rofl:

@proskynesis That vocal rollercoaster you put us on is fun as heck! You captured such a nostalgic sound man, it gave off a pleasant nature, and awesome drum choice. Thanks for sharing man! :beers:

2 Likes

Migthy PO-33 K.O! for the win:

4 Likes

@Leonsarmiento Yo man those were some wild tricks, especially that clean global tempo drop (or whatever the proper term is) @ 27secs! Audibly said “ah shhi…” when that happened. Cool funky track man, and thanks for sharing! :beers:

2 Likes

Thanks man!

Is those Tasty triplets.

1 Like

Alright guys, I’m going to start off by warning that there is heavy cowbell in this beat. :cow2:

The only thing that wouldn’t sacrifice the audio quality too much was to add a trigless trig every time it hits (it was not by choice). I tried switching out the drums with over 15 different samples, but the beat just would not work the same way.

3 Likes

Here’s the first one that I’ve been hesitant uploading because it kinda sounded harsh on the ears, and hope it doesn’t for yall!

4 Likes

Cool stuff everyone. @Leonsarmiento, this makes me want to dust off my PO-33! I was always too lazy to really give it a proper go.

@aarb420, bassline on the first one is sick and the second one has a lovely dusty reminiscent vibe(!) going on.

2 Likes

@looms AIITE! :muscle: Thanks man wish I could do more with that track, but that cowbell kept throwing me into a trance :rofl:

@everyone please feel free to continue to submit any tracks if you feel inspired and have the time, as there is no real deadline, but it’s always there to encourage a forward momentum. Thanks again for hanging out and sharing the sweet techniques and grooves again for another week! Plenty of funk coming up ahead, and until then wishing you all a wonderful week ahead! :muscle:

2 Likes

Took it to the amazonian jungle

4 Likes

@looms man awesome sound and that vocal work is :fire: You’re dropping some radio-ready tracks lately, lets go :muscle: Thanks for sharing man! :beers:

1 Like

Thanks man, was a fun one to make. Couch bop :joy:

1 Like

:heat: :heat: :heat:

2 Likes

Sweet - looks like I’m not the only one posting this track a bit late. As soon as I hear the track I knew I wanted a house vibe. I used some of the stems that @aarb420 provided - pitched a few vocals down ands up and then just vibed out on my digitakt. This is what came out of it - hope it keeps some of its jumpy dancey vibe too.

Always grateful - thanks for doing this.

Happy Holy week and Easter weekend!

3 Likes

Agrree - that little staccato rhythm trick sounds funky!

1 Like

Digging this one @aarb420 - the vocals and that instrumental capture that laid back experimental 90’s hip hop on the radio freestyle vibe. Nice one!

Yes @looms that is nice! Dj Marky would be well proud. I love the way you brought that trombone in there at the end. Beauty track man!

2 Likes

Thanks man! Digging your track a lot. It’s a cheeky shuffler! Love the pad/stab two note melody thing, very cool.

1 Like