Hip hop made with the Digitakt

Keep pushing !

4 Likes

hereā€™s a quick thing from last night/this morningā€¦ christmas beats. put together just with the digitakt but recorded clips and arranged, added effects, eq, etc. in ableton.

5 Likes

Dope beat. This just miss Oxmo Puccino to rap on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

The playlist with some new beats, i have more in my digitakt so i will ad in the next days.
Joyeux Noƫl !

5 Likes

I tried to underproduce this shitty beat and Iā€™m satisfyed by the ratio effort/result.

I adjusted the compressor following to this post

Just added bx_masterdesk on the end with a preset and exported.

2 Likes

Nice! Some really cool stuff in thereā€¦ you did hiphop on the ms before right? Did you switch it for a Dt? How do you like it?

1 Like

Sounds pretty complex for an ā€˜underproducedā€™ track. I like the end where the soft chords come in!

1 Like

Yes i had the M:S, i Liked it a lot, it introduced me to elektron stuff after a long time making music only in the box. I was bored of using a computer (all day long 40hours a week at workā€¦) the M:S made me enjoy again beatmaking with hardware stuff. But i wasnā€™t fully satisfied because i always needed to use my computer to get the samples and feed the M:Sā€¦
I sold it and get a DT, and i donā€™t regret it! Itā€™s a perfect box for making old school boombap. I think Itā€™s a kind of modern sp1200, easy and fun to use, with all the advantages of new technologies. Overbridge is a must, u dont need any daw to get the tracks out, itā€™s perfect.

I tried the new mpc series, i didnā€™t liked it, i think for the kind of music i make limitations are very useful. The MPCā€™s are more like daws with touchscreen, for me a laptop with a controler is the same. To much options kills my creativity.
For boom bap producers, i think actualy the DT is the best piece of gear to get for price/quality.

3 Likes

Completely agree with that, also on the mpcā€™s feeling like daws built into a controller. Good to have your music in this topic, itā€™s inspiring to hear other peoplesā€™ beats!

1 Like

I always saw the DT as this too. This box is so perfect for beatmaking, quickly inspiring to make beats.

I never tested the new MPC nor Maschine+ but I also see them as an embeded computer into a controller.

The real contender for the DT is Analog Rytm MKII and Octatrack. But both are way more expensive and donā€™t bring a lot more for hip hop beatmaking. (Yes OT bring too much actually)

5 Likes

Iā€™ve tried almost every sampler out thereā€¦ the DT is still the most perfect hiphopmachine I know.

-The old mpcā€™s are legendary but miss some of the more advanced sample mangling, sequencing and synth functions the DT has
-Same goes for the roland spā€™s. Even though the effects and workflow on those are really nice, they feel like sketchpads instead of beatmaking machines.
-The new mpcā€™s feel like daws in a box.
-I havent tried the sp16 and machine+ā€¦ they might be a nice middle ground.

As for the OT and AR: iā€™ve been using the AR for hiphop now for a month, and the verdict is still out. It does sound rawer than the DT, and has some nice features, but is also has some irritating limitations like no retriggering amp envelopes and no finetuning startpoint, which are really annoying for the way I like to chop samples. The OT kind of scares me, people complain about it feeling like a chore to work with, and thats something iā€™m certainly not looking forā€¦

3 Likes

I would like to try the AR, but on the paper it donā€™t offer more than the digitakt for sample based music. For someone who donā€™t need the extra outputs and analog drum voices it seems to be overpriced.

The OT is a mistery for me, i never had an occasion to try it but i would love to.

1 Like

OT adds a huge amount of options for sample mangling, but as far as just making hip hop beats with samples Iā€™m not sure what the OT brings to the table over the DT.

Well thereā€™s one thing, SONG MODE! WTF Elektron :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes i think itā€™s a great tool for live performances and experimentation but as u said iā€™m not sure that it can do more than the DT for classic sample based HipHop. They are differents machines for different purposes.

1 Like

Might actually be worse for hip hop as beats are relatively straight forward and IMO the much faster workflow of the Digitakt suits that well. Unless you want to make like some Prefuse 73 style weird shit, in which case the OT would shine.

4 Likes

100% vinyl sampled into digitakt.

7 Likes

Nice sample, itā€™s great! How do u Did the bassline? It was already included in the sample?

1 Like

Love Stones Throw and have never even heard of this beat battle, definitely want to participate in the future.

Cool track also btw, thanks for the heads up!

The bassline for the first part is a one shot bass sample isolated and played on keyboard, for the second part itā€™s included in the same sample of the guitare

1 Like

One of my favorite ones of yours so far!

1 Like