Hip hop made with the Digitakt

It’s funny because it’s the less “produced” of my beats since I become to learn beatmaking.
I just put a limiter on the 2 tracks USB record from the DT. No EQ no compressor (just the one in the DT).

Hip Hop is raw.

I think I will dig in that way.

3 Likes

did you boost gain or otherwise bump up output via overbridge? i find overbridge output way too quiet. yes, it’s to allow headroom, but i have a hard time getting good mix levels.

Yes, OB is quiet, I add 12db from the limiter. But you can also use a preamp plugin or any plugins that can add 12db.

Just normalize it if you’re happy with the dynamics. Since OB is a strictly digital bizness, you won’t get noise or artefacts.

1 Like

hmmm… will have to compare. lately i’ve not been normalizing output, and the mixes generally sound better to me. there’s a lot to learn. my stuff is very much a work in progress.

1 Like

Agree with that, less is more. With the good sources no need to overproduce :wink:

1 Like

New one I did yesterday…

10 Likes

Nice beat I love it. You didn’t use your AR ?

Thanks! Yeah I started missing the DT so I fired her up again and made this haha… now the AR is back on my desk again, sounding great. Both have their strengths so I plan on switching them out sometimes.

1 Like

Hello everyone! I’ve been a digitakt user for a few years now…but started to lean towards more and more beat production more recently…i’ve been enjoying yours and must congratulate you all for the great beats you’ve come up with!! My question in general now is…how much do you tend to produce them out of the machine? in that case what to you tend to do the most? I personally tend to be happy with mine while playing them on speakers but days after or even right after tend to be dissapointed with mine on headphones…any advise is more than appreciated! cheers

2 Likes

I like to approach the music I make like a snapshot of that moment in time, so I usually just record the main outs, just with some eq/compression added from my mixer.

You can endlessly make your music sound better. If you revisit a song you make today in 2 years, youll be able to make it sound better, or more to your taste of that moment. By looking at a song like a picture of that moment in time you can listen back to the skillsyou had that moment.

If you dont like how a track sounds, a good idea is to listen back to back to your own track and someone elses track you really like, and adjust your mix accordingly.

6 Likes

Hello,
If you like your mix on your speaker but not on your headphone maybe it’s because your acoustic room is not good with your speakers.
For exemple, I make my music in the corner of my living room in an old building without any acoustic treatment. I had big 8" monitors and basses made everything vibrating, shadowing the mid.
Now I changed with 4" monitors and it’s far better for my room, the sound is much more equilibrated and not too boomy.

So, check your monitors if they are good with your room.

About producing on computer, I used lot of plugins but when you are not pro, the more you try the worst result you will have. The sound of the DT is already glued and punchy, there is no real need to add something behind unless you are pro engeneer or you want to release and sell an album (I advice to let a pro mix and master your tracks in this case)

1 Like

This is amazing and I’m stealing it lol just a “sound picture” of how i felt at the time. Sometimes old photos are lovely and other times…not so much, but it’s still nice to look back and see how far you’ve come. Cool analogy

3 Likes

Nothing too fancy. A couple bits from a couple records. Little low pass, high pass deal. IK Uno synth on bass duty.

12 Likes

Thank you all for your feedback!!!

Very 90s I love it !

1 Like

Very nice

1 Like

Love the drums and overall sound!

1 Like

i’ve been making some slower tempo old school stuff as part of jamuary. here’s one that came out reasonably well.

6 Likes

and another

4 Likes