Hip hop made with the Digitakt

@GLDN1 Nice!

Thanks Bro.

Pure Funk. Great work, you sold me on the Digitakt.

Happy New Year! My first beat of 2018. Another Stones Throw beat battle entry. Iā€™ve been listening to a bunch of lo-fi SP-202/303 stuff recently so this was inspired by that (shoutout to Lord Beatjitzu if youā€™re out there, lol).

This is is mostly flipped from a Swiss Prog Rock tune. I sampled my Volca Kick for the sub-bass. Headphones or a subwoofer recommended because the Volca Kick is a monster. Lol.

6 Likes

Awesome video @GLDN1! and nice beat @DimensionsTomorrow

Hereā€™s my first one of the new yearā€¦ completely made with the digitakt except for the walking bass which I recorded straight into my daw:

9 Likes

Thanks for checking it out.
SoundCloud is back online. Dope beat. I really dig the vocal samples.

On a Wu-Tang tip!!!

1 Like

Thanks broā€¦ Damn thats nice(your beat) HPNY!!

Holy crap, this is so rad.

1 Like

You know it man. Gotta bring the ruckus for 2018!

3714FB06-7302-4808-8D80-CF8D253311DC

97E9650C-EEC9-487B-B6EC-8E750EC42D91

4 Likes

Hey guys ! New year, but still kickinā€™ it old school with my Digitakt :

I see you guys have kept trucking as wellā€¦ a good listening session of your last beats is on the menu, feedbacks coming soon !

11 Likes

Really nice. Love it. Horns are a really nice touch!

1 Like

Thatā€™s dope as! Great vibe to it. Crazy shuffle to the beat.

1 Like

Thanks man! Iā€™ve been experimenting more with recording live and unquantized, as opposed to what I would call more of a programming style using start times, which is the method I was initially using.

The key on the DT is setting the amp to ā€œnote onā€ so that the sample only plays while you are holding down the trig since there are currently no mute/choke groups. Unfortunately, there is currently a bug in the OS that prevents more than one track from being recorded simultaneously (which cripples it for live drumming) but I notified Elektron, they confirmed the bug, and said that they hope to have it fixed in the next OS. Once thatā€™s fixed, it should be possible to use the DT more like an SP202/303/404.

This track was also the first time Iā€™ve experimented with sub-bass like that. Iā€™m not so happy with the mix, but I have a much better idea of how to go about it now, so Iā€™ll get it on the next track.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight into your workflow. Good tips! Thanks

1 Like

@DimensionsTomorrow Cheers, man ! Your latest beat is super dope, digging that more abstracty direction you tookā€¦ wide and fat soundscape. Would have liked a more prominent snare, tho, but eh, thatā€™s subjective.

@Sleepyhead Again, digging the chill mood and the quality of the whole arrangement. From track to track, seems like you have quite a distinct style. Clean mix as well !

@GLDN1 Rushed to the end of the video to get to the good stuff quickly, and wasnā€™t disappointed. Dope track, Iā€™ve always been a sucker for eastern moods. Was in Cambodia not so long ago, but didnā€™t find any time for crate digging, which is a shame. Iā€™ll take a look at the rest of your video a bit later, curious to check your workflow !

1 Like

clip of a kind of a sleepy ambient hiphop boombap type beatā€¦ some other gear in there but digitakt is the :heartbeat:

Havenā€™t been here for a while. Loving that beat DimensionsTomorrow! The clashes of metal is dope.

1 Like

I love this! Cute little vinyl records too. Inspired me to make rhythm roulette esique video myself! Good stuff GLDN1!!

1 Like

Thanks man! Great to see you back. I hope things are getting better over there in PR, and Iā€™m really looking forward to hearing more of your stuff this year!