Hip Hop Beat Battle #28 - Elektronauts, mount up! - VOTING THREAD

Ok Gz and Hustlas,

The topic for today is voting!

As a reminder:

You can only vote if you have submitted a beat. And obviously, you can’t vote for your own beat.

Points are distributed as usual, but you must award an additional bonus point to the beat with the best original G-Funk lead. Original meaning that you either come up with it yourself using a (soft) synth, or that you chop up an existing one in a creative way.

This bonus point can be awarded as an extra point to one of your top three beats, or a completely different beat. So it could be:

1. Beat #2 (3 points)
  2. Beat #1 (2 points)
  3. Beat #3 (1 point)

Bonus (1) point for track 4

etc.

I uploaded the tracks to my own Soundcloud, because the Elektronauts was out of free uploads after 8 tracks…

Here we go!

Track 1: @Lailai
Track 2: @tovia
Track 3: @emadb
Track 4: Jedilicious
Track 5: @diatessaron
Track 6: @Ooly
Track 7: @NVVI
Track 8: @schoolbabyboy
Track 9: @Yabba

Votes must be in Thursday 15th latest.

Happy voting!

cripwalk

13 Likes

Oh damn, these are great!
Hearing loads of stuff i wish I had done instead :joy:

Nice one everybody

6 Likes

Great vibes ova here! :cool:

4 Likes

my votes!

First: Number 6. Hot damn this is smooth. Feels like an official song both in terms of composition and mix quality. Had me grooving and bobbing my head. Great work!

2nd: Number 9. Very close to 6 for the same reasons, love the bass line. Big summer party energy here. Old school cool on display, very nice crystalline g-funk lead too.

3rd: Number 1. Real bumpin in the car music, really enjoy the g-funk lead here as well. Drums smack and the sample in the background creates a nice bed for the rest of the music to bounce on.

Bonus points to Number 9 for my favorite g-funk lead

7 Likes

Okay here is my vote:

1. Beat # 9: the baseline is so crisp and bouncing! Just amazing sound quality. I am never able to achieve such a clean sound. Over all the most OG Funk sounding beat. Damn soooo good!

2. Beat # 6: very smooth and chill. Very nicely mixed. Definitely more on the relaxed than the funked out side, but still very nice work.

3. Beat # 8: that one gave me a Neptunes in Compton vibe. Also the performance FX are really good.

Bonus point has to go to Beat # 9. Just so unbelievably crisp! I wish I could give another bonus point just alone for the baseline! Whoever made this please tell me how to get that bass sound…

7 Likes

Here are my votes:

1. Track 6: slick Gfunk stuff, great break in the song, awesome Gfunk lead.

2. Track 9: made two different tracks sound like one. Great overall production

3. Track 7: love the interplay between the bass and the lead. Warren Gs voice fits the vibe perfectly.

Gfunk lead bonus point: Track 6

HM: track 8, that was some trippy shit! Sounds like a Timbaland interpretation of Gfunk.

These are just my short notes, will share more later :blush:

6 Likes

Here are my votes:

1. Track 9: this really represent the G-Funk style and the track is very balanced with thick drums and lovely leads

2. Track 1: I like how the vocals fits with the whole track and that “oriental melody” with the lead …love it

3. Track 7: The simplicity always pays. Clean track, with few instruments but it flowing so good.

Bonus: Track 8. It can be considered the G-Funk style 2.0. Love it. Really banging!

Thanks!

8 Likes

@everyone I feel bad for not attending this challenge, but there was a real weird anatomical anomaly that took over, and will have to resurrect this thread sometime in the future to pay homage to the fallen Nate Dogg. Track 6 is definitely smooth as all heck that’s an album track forsure. This round is :fire: and #7 is hitting nicely too as I embark on this playlist! Awesome job @everyone :beers: haven’t finished this one just yet, but it’s fun to listen to, it’s just better and better! Man track 8 seriously went wild on the technique major props to the maker!

7 Likes

Maybe as an idea for the next time, we can do “blind” voting (send votes to the host) to reduce priming effects.

I actually intended to introduce that for this battle, but totally forgot :sweat_smile:

#psychologistnerdmodeoff

8 Likes

Here are my votes:

1. Beat 9: I really like the bassline and lead, I’d love to know how they were made.

2. Beat 7: Nice vibe and atmosphere. Vocals fit very well to the mix.

3. Beat 6: Really smooth track and relaxed feeling. Good mixing.

Lead bonus point to Beat 9.

HMs: Beat 1 liked the lead melody & Beat 8 is positively different.

6 Likes

My votes:

#1. Track 9
Smooth and groovy! This one meets all the requirements for a G-Funk style. Crispy bass, regular fat drums, obsessive piano chords, G-funk lead AND a flexitone aswell! Dope.

#2. Track 1
Really appreciate the oriental thing in this beat, fit so well with the vocals and the G-Funk lead is so good. Great work.

#3. Track 7
Nice one, the acapella goes well with this beat and the G-Funk lead is really well done.

. Bonus point for G-Funk lead
Track 01

4 Likes

Here’s my votes.
Played them all a few times now and all are really good.

1st beat 6

Vocal goes really well with the beat and I love the mellow vibe, the whistle is great too, very nice work and will get repeated plays from me.

2nd beat 8

Love the little stuttery effects, well made and really fun to listen to.
The variations on the whistle is really good too, I wouldn’t know where to start if I had to make some of the smart little quirks in this beat.

3rd beat 2

I think the mood of the beat is really nice, and the vocal drops sound all ghostly and otherworldly and work so well with it. Really nice.

Also.
Gfunk whistle bonus to beat 1
(Great beat too, got the playlist off to a really good start)

Every other beat I didn’t vote for could easily be in my top three on a different mood and day.

Cheers

5 Likes

So just @tovia and @NVVI left for voting!

2 Likes

Sounding good everybody
Should be able to get my votes in tomorrow morning

6 Likes

1st: beat 6. So groovy and so smooth! Feels incredibly professional all throughout, and I especially love the way the production is so delicately layered. Nothing is competing for your attention cause the mix is really well balanced

2nd: beat 1. What a way to start! Also felt incredibly professional and well thought out. Very hard hitting beat, and a great use of the lead sound too. The kick is super punchy and fits perfectly in the mix

3rd: beat 9. Somehow both super crunchy and super smooth at the same time. Love the bass sound a lot, and the kinda cartoony sound effects add a lot of character to the beat without making it feel silly.

Bonus points to beat 9 for the lead sound too

Everybody did so well! It’s crazy how much skill there is in these little competitions. Every single one of these beats grew on me the more I listened

6 Likes

Impossible task to rank, so after listening a bunch going with these

1. Track 5 - nobody does it better <3
  2. Track 3 - scratches!! (break sounds familiar, is it?)
  3. Track 1 - bassline!
    Whistle Point - Track 4
8 Likes

Regulators!

Lowriders have been bouncing. 40s been drank, and votes have been casted.

Somehow, Soundcloud doesn’t allow me to change the track names, so here is the reveal:

Track 1: @Lailai
Track 2: @tovia
Track 3: @emadb
Track 4: Jedilicious
Track 5: @diatessaron
Track 6: @Ooly
Track 7: @NVVI
Track 8: @schoolbabyboy
Track 9: @Yabba

And now for the results!

1. Yabba with Track 9 (18 points)
  2. Ooly with Track 6 (16 points)
  3. Lailai with Track 1 (7 points)

Congrats Yabba, with yet another win. I truly admire your ability to consistency in putting out great quality beats.

For Ooly to come so close is also no small achievement either.

And Lailai, you were not only great, but also the fastest of the bunch.

Well done!

In fact, that goes for everyone. Every track had something going for it. As all dogs go to heaven, I am quite sure Nate Dogg would be smiling down on us when listening to this.

Some fun facts:

• Every track received at least one point or bonus point
  • Gangsta Walk was the most popular Nate Dog Accapella
  • Your host was the one that most deviated from the G-Funk theme. My beat (number 4) is definitely more on the G side, rather than the funk side (but I absolutely loved making it, so I didn’t care)

Thanks all, it was a blast.

Yabba, you have (yet again) earned the right to host the next battle, so let us know if you want to do that or if you prefer if someone else (Ooly?) took over.

8 Likes

And now for some personal track notes:

My track, track 4 definitely started as a much smoother G-Funk style track. But I am sucker for “Still Dre” and cube style gangster rap so decided to go for that while keeping the G-funk inspired lead and bass.

Whole track was made on the Isla S2400. Only the arranging and the vocals were done in Logic.

• Drums are self-made loop that I extracted from a previous unfinished project, processed with the AH.

• The main organ like sample that starts the track is from a splice sample pack

• The rest of the sounds were all created on the Novation summit. G-Funk lead is a self made patch with the novation Summit. Same goes for the piano chords and the 808 like bass was a preset.

• The “Westside” vocals are sampled from a Westide Connection track and from 2Pacs Troublesome 96. I think they were nicely in contrast with the Nate Dogg acapella from “Keep it G.A.N.G.S.T.A” (separated with Serato Sample) where he raps about the Eastside (referring to Long Beach City in the East of California. Fun fact: The former area code for LBC is 213, for which I hid a little easter egg in my voting example in the battle prompt.

I thank @NVVI for awarding me the bonus point, it was literally the last point of this battle, but the first point for my track :rofl:

Thanks for listening all!

7 Likes

goodness gracious congrats to Yabba! the consistency and quality is truly remarkable.

i made my beat on the ep133 after sampling some chord one shots and synth one shots from the mc101. arranged most of it on the 133, then recorded to the 404. i ended up just doing one long take for the g-funk lead, playing it in live from the mc101’s pads because i wanted to try making a lead line without a midi controller.

thanks so much for the votes and honorable mentions, i really appreciate all the kind words!

6 Likes

Cheers everyone.
I really wasn’t expecting to do well when I heard your beats

I was so unconfident about this one and at the last day I chucked out all my samples and just did a couple of bits of Korg gadget.

That’s what I started with, I sampled it into Digitakt and I added the bass with a bass tone in Digitakt, then recorded it to ableton and added the acappelas and a bit of piano cos I thought it sounded so sparse.

I kept my drum pattern from my original beat but that’s about it.
The whistle is just the first preset of that particular synth and the other two are electric piano presets

6 Likes