HELP: Elektron Rytm + Moog Mother 32 Routing

Hello,

I’ve recently purchased the Moog Mother 32 to accompany my Elektron Rytm. I am having issues with getting the two machines to sync. I have the MIDI out Sync A plugged into the MOOGS MIDI IN. L+R Jack Outs of the RYTM are plugged into my FOCUSRITES INPUTS which is connected to my Mac via USB. Is there something i am missing out on here?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can take photos if at all necessary.

As it stands i have tried the following settings:

In PROJECT > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI SYNC menu:
Activate CLOCK SEND
Activate TRANSPORT SEND

In PROJECT > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI PORT CONFIG menu:
Set OUT PORT FUNC to “MIDI”
Set OUTPUT TO to “MIDI”

This however is getting no response from either machine to sync. I’m using an Scarlett 2i2 as a soundcard and have a Tascam 414 available as an additional mixer. (i was hoping to be able to send my pedal effects either the Rytm drums or Moogs Synth line however i think i need a soundcard with more inputs to do this?)

Thanks in advance.

Your MIDI cable connection and the settings on the AR that you listed appear to be correct. Can you try using a different MIDI cable in case yours is faulty?

The audio connections that you listed do not affect synchronization between the two instruments.

When you start the sequencer on the AR, does the M32’s Tempo LED blink?

3 Likes

Have you connected anything to the AUDIO OUT jack of the M32?

3 Likes

The AUDIO OUT of the M32 is being fed through a BOSS RV6 and back into the SCARLETT 2I2 could this be causing the issue? I have the RYTM connected to my mac via USB as i was hoping to have a dry signal of drums to record into Ableton whilst the MOOG played long pads in sync.

The tempo LED blinks but doesn’t appear to be triggered by the AR. It’s merely blinking at the Tempo rate set via the Moog.

Thanks for such a quick reply!

Also i bought the MIDI cable brand new today, so i’m doubtful that it is at fault.

have you checked mother is set to auto / external sync ?
a light should at least blink somewhere on the mother to indicate start/stop.

1 Like

Have you programmed any notes into the sequencer of the M32?

1 Like

Are you using OB?
Are you using the AR or Ableton to send clock to the M32?

Are you using the midi out from Rytm? Thru will only send notes and not clock.

plug in a pair of headphones and see if the mother makes a sound at all!

also hit the keyboard to verify!

you need to tell the m32 which midi channel it is set to receive midi and the AR to send out midi on that channel!

also the AR needs to send sync and transport !!! (had that problem a whilie ago)

No. MIDI transport and clock messages are not transmitted on a particular channel. MIDI Note messages would be sent on a particular channel, but the AR’s sequencer does not send MIDI Note messages.

3 Likes

hmmm … on this occasion I claim that my theory will hold up !

hahah

waht the fuck do I know …

no seriously … is that the case? i never knew!

AR settings seem right… Shouldn’t have anything to do with effects or audio interface…
I’d check m32 settings…

Edit: never mind, 123alastairj verified there is no clock setting. Are you getting sound when playing each unit? As xidnpnlss questioned, what are you doing with that usb connection and is OB involved?

It certainly is the case!

There’s no way of disabling the MIDI sync on the M32. If there’s a cable going into it sending a clock the sequencer will run.

2 Likes

And a big ole’ PITA it is.

I get round it by programming a blank sequence into the 1st sequencer slot.

1 Like

There was yes. I reset the pattern, i now have a green light flashing on the MOOG, which now speeds up as i increase the tempo on the RYTM! Thanks a bundle guys, got there in the end:)

4 Likes

How do you do this? I muted the first step but until I press “stop” it doesn’t make a sound…

Sorry, may not have been clear, by ‘1st Sequencer slot’ I didn’t mean the first step of the sequencer, I meant the first slot for stored sequences - that way, by default, when I poer up the Moog, the sequence is blank.

Initially, I just created a pattern of one step in length and disable that step in step mode.

The net result of all this is that I can have a MIDI cable plugged into the Moog which transmits clock and starts the sequencer, but since the sequence has no active notes it doesn’t make any difference, and I can just control the synth via MIDI.

2 Likes