#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

That sounds like a solid Geneva Convention violation, unless you do it in a private club and charge a cover fee.

1 Like

How bout anyone on the “no gear” list who buys gear has to add an extra 5% Elektronauts tax that goes into a collective fund, and at the end of the year we donate that money to an organization to keep music classes in schools or something?

That way you can sin and still feel good about it :sunglasses:

3 Likes

after making the decision not to buy more stuff, a certain amount of peace has settled upon me. looking at the latest purchase and new gear threads doesn’t hit my dopamine receptors the same way. now it’s like a

the other day, i started researching the mpc workflow, checking out mpc1000 prices, etc. seems cool, but i was left thinking “what can it do for me that ableton doesn’t?” so it ended in a question and answer session vs. further down some rabbit hole.

anyway, i’m serious about donating to some group. might even setup a local dns redirect for elektronauts, sweetwater, and perfect circuit, so any time curiosity strikes, i end up dropping some change in someone’s bucket.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have gone all of 2021 without buying any new gear. Every time I was tempted, I stopped to ask myself what my current setup couldn’t do, or if I had tried hard enough to push what I have further (for example, I’ve been gassing on a DFAM, but know that I have only scratched the surface on gritty FM drum design with the DN…until I push that envelope, I will hold off). My gear:

DT
DN
REV2
Boog

Keystep
MPD 226

Ableton 10
Arturia V Collection (from 2018)
Guitar Rig 6

PRS SE Standard
Martin D-1

Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

That said, I do intend to get myself a Tascam Model 12, probably in early 2022, so won’t join in this noble effort. Looking forward to doing standalone recording, but also using it as an interface. Prior to the DT’s 1.30 update, I was pretty much always running a hybrid setup, but after I could route everything standalone through the DN and into the DT, I remembered how refreshing it was to just not turn on the computer and to just flip a few switches and jam away. I think the Tascam will extend this capability.

But you all also have to know:

7 Likes

That thread has been blowing up the last little while. As I can’t afford anything seeing the amount of shit people post everyday has been blowing my mind.

It’s gonna get real quiet for a bit.

2 Likes

Is it wrong, that I really like this idea?

3 Likes

I feel the same :+1:

2 Likes

So what is everyone’s last potential purchase before this starts then. The one that you really don’t need (we’ve established this) but because you have committed to not buy any gear next year, is now shouting “buy me, it’s your LAST CHANCE!” at you.

For me:

4 Likes

I see the point of this exercise is to try breaking these patterns, (at least in this thread) :slight_smile:

“What am I doing with what I have”
over
“What am I hovering over complete purchase on today”

1 Like

Indeed 100%!
I can’t be the only GAS sufferer thinking of doing this though… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nope! Just a nudge. A person can start whenever they like, of course. But perhaps we can at least keep this thread airgapped from the discussion of new purchases…

Discussion of GAS is fine, but perhaps less direct GAS expression if that makes any sense?

…that was not a fart joke.

4 Likes

Almost certainly not the last one I’ll need. A year is a long time after the speed I’ve been buying things at!

2 Likes

5 Likes

hahahah. The “new gear” enumeration trend is definitely a social one, and may fill a need but there are healthier and less (in the end) isolating things we can share. Maybe workflows and ideas for limited gear?

One of the things I like the least about music forums is that art often gets downplayed to consumerism and discussion of spec or the unceasing flood of new products every few months.

My brain can only hold so much at a time and I’d rather focus on abstracting what could be done over what could do it.

Unsure how many persons here are diagnosed with the more distractible brand of ADD but it applies to all my work, arts and paycheck alike. And yes, that may also apply to posting here, but I’d call it harm reduction. It’s also not producing but it’s an attempt to be mindful and conscious over and restructure my antipatterns. And not in a binary Pass/Fail sense :slight_smile:

Hopefully my rambles don’t come off as sanctimonious, this is all stuff I see in myself and am trying to (publicly) wrangle with in the thread. So yeah, there’s some projection but with empathy and acknowledgment.

9 Likes

Departures so far…

Maschine studio…
Komplete kontrol a49
USB midi host

300 quid back in the bank, I was sorely tempted to get a launchpad to use with my ipad but that urge has passed now and I’m weighing up what to cull next…

3 Likes

I was thinking whatever gear I have on my studio in three weeks’ time, I’ll make a more deliberate than usual attempt to design sounds for them, as I usually just make sounds for whatever jam/track I’ve been working on. Thinking Machinedrum, Monomachine, Digitone, maybe Prophet-6. So I was thinking making sets of sounds and then sharing the sysex files for free. Truly make it a depth year and have something to give back to this awesome community here.

As for what @subduct asked about our last potential purchases… To be honest, in my head I’m going crazy. Today I even caught myself thinking I’ll give myself permission to make ”one last purchase” before 01-01-2022 and make it something wild/surprising/special, meaning I’d get something that I haven’t really researched that well (won’t mention the synths by name here). Felt a bit like I was rewarding myself for completing a challenge I’m more than 50% likely to fail. That’s fucking GAS for you right there! But no, I didn’t buy anything (yet).

One of the most difficult things to do will be not to make trades for a year. That’s my usual MO (and buying second hand) when I change my setup. However, I’m willing to go as far as to pledge I’ll match all my ”actual” synth spendings and donate the amount to a charity. So if I trade a 900€ and get a 1200€ synth back, I’ll donate 300€ to a charity (of my own choice). I dunno, maybe this idea is starting to get more Catholic (indulgence) than I’d like it to be. :upside_down_face:

Another thing is that if I go into this ”challenge” just constantly repeating the mantra ”I can’t buy anything this year”, I’ll be very likely to fail. So I need something to take my mind off that - and like @Joebas and probably many others here, once I’m actually playing my gear, I almost never get those nasty GASsy thoughts.

8 Likes

I like the idea of spending more time on making patches and then sharing them here. I will focus on the DN and MC :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was eyeing up a Squarp Pyramid to go with my yet to arrive Perfourmer…but I just can’t do it…the Digitone will be fine on sequencing duties, for a year at least.

Then I thought about how I always wanted some Ciat Lonbard stuff, but I would want at least two…

Then it became clear that my internal acceptable threshold for additional gear had already been reached with the Perfourmer purchase and I stopped.

So it goes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I use Pyramid to control digitone, digitakt, octatrack, deepmind, hydrasynth, guitar processor, bunch of vst channels inside Maschine (regular controller, not plus), and still have some free channels for additional neutron, 0coast, dfam and microfreak which are kinda of “mood” setup not connected to a main desk all the time.
Pyramid is a great sequencer. Midi effects are weakest part of the box at my taste. Llimited arp, limited delay… But the sequencer is one of the best I’ve ever seen.

So, you have less than month to get Pyramid :slightly_smiling_face:

Btw, I’m in. I have enough gear and not enough time to play with it. I think I have to find another way to deal with stress besides of gear acqusition.

4 Likes