Hanging notes?

The entirety of your reply makes me sad :smiley:

(My setup is entirely based on Overbridge)

1 Like

Ah, sorry that isn’t helpful of me :crazy_face: - I didn’t test my setup exhaustively… have you tried the same setup in any DAW other than live? Or tried a different soundcard (if you’re not using on overbridge for IO)? I personally never tried different USB cables which would be worth a shot.

If I had been more thorough I’d check these things and all using the lowest OB settings (low CPU speed/high buffer etc.). If any combo gets it working at lowest settings you can try and increase one setting at a time

I hope for everyone who is invested in OB elektron do get it stable (it’s still in beta after all)

1 Like

I was about to think that sending midi via ext instrument instead of OB was a viable option until I realized that I’m only plugged in via usb on all my OB gear- perhaps o still can(it’s early here, and I suspect that might still be an option.

Testing out different USB cables is also a choice.

Also prayer that progress is made on DN OB. It doesn’t happen on my A4- I suspect the different voice allocation on the OB has created a space for this bug to thrive. Ah, the things you love are eventually the things that tear you apart…

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, i imagine that’s only possible with one OB unit at a time (the one that’s set up in soundcard mode). If you’re on mac you could maybe make an aggregate audio device using all the units OB inputs/outputs but I imagine that road will lead to problems either in stability or latency.

1 Like

You make a valid point. Though, it’s only the Digitone that’s creating this incessant issue, so I suppose rigging would only be needed for this

I’m on the latest overbridge beta 2.0.19.3 and digitone 1.21. I’m a huge fan of the digitone, but the hanging note thing is killing my overbridge vibe, so I’m having to use regular old 5 pin midi to interact with it. While this is great and gets me a long way creatively, it doesn’t give me access to putting the various digitone tracks on their own tracks in my DAW. I really hope this gets fixed because it would make the the digitone’s place in my workflow so much more awesome. I mean I guess I could put it in sound card mode, but that would put all the rest of my equipment going through my focusrite 18i20 on hold. Switching between two audio interfaces is not really what I’m trying to do all the time.

The more I use the digitone the more I’m finding the hanging notes an issue

Ah, I didn’t know overbridge allowed multichannel output from the digitone VST!? If that’s the case I might have to give it another shot, that would be great

Hi !

Same problem here when using an Akai Force to sequence the Digitone :frowning:

I did a video to explain what happens :

https://youtu.be/3yDomah7PpA

I’m using bitwig studio, and it has vst multi out support, I’m pretty sure most daws support it. It wasn’t exactly straight forward to find the feature, I had to do a bunch of googling to figure it out. If the stuck notes thing wasn’t such a big issue, I’d be absolutely in love with the overbridge workflow. It seems like Elektron is pretty committed to the technology, so I figure it’s just a matter of time before they figure it out and fix it.

As far as the mute thing goes, I have an old MPC1000 using jjos 3. I just tried muting part way through a sustained note on both my digitone and dave smith mopho, and both work the same way, they don’t mute if the note had already been started. Maybe this is an implementation of the MPC firmware though and not the handling of the devices I’m sending the midi to. That said, I have zero issues with stuck notes when I use my MPC to sequence the digitone. What digitone firmware are you on?

So I did a factory reset on my digitone and now I’m no longer having the stuck key issues. Now I need to get friggin multimap working LOL

EDIT: I spoke too soon. This started happening as soon as I started addressing the multi outs from the overbridge VST.

EDIT 2: I started looking at how to log all this stuff so I could send it to elektron. I realized the stuck keys were happening when I was sending midi on the digitone VST track itself. As long as I’m sending midi from other tracks (e.g. midi only tracks that don’t have the digitone vst) I’m having no issue with stuck keys.

EDIT 3: It turns out that the stuck keys came back, it just took a lot longer for them to present themselves in the previous setup I mentioned.

It is 1.21.

Please file bug reports, folks. Elektron doesn’t monitor everything on this forum.

4 Likes

Yes, for some reason it didn’t occur to me to check if the digitone vst was capable of multichannel audio (ableton doesn’t give any visual indication if a vst has multi channel audio or not afaik) - that’s really cool!

So I gave OB on the digitone another shot and yesterday I was only having the occasional hanging note - it was almost workable, this morning it seems to be working properly for me! I’m sequencing tracks 123 with ableton and the dn is sequencing drums on track4. Seperate audio tracks for each DN track with just the fx audio coming out of the main VST track. No hanging notes at all so far!

I have no idea why it’s working now and not before except for the fact I’m not using the analog heat, and I’m trying a different USB cable on the digitone (actually I hadn’t changed the cable last night when I was getting the occasional hanging notes, but this morning I switched to the official elektron cable and so far no hanging notes at all)

Time to switch on the analog heat I guess…

1 Like

All still seems to be working here even with the analog heat added into the equation (vst via overbridge) :grinning:

One thing I’ve noticed is at the moment both my soundcard buffer and the overbridge plugin buffer is set to 128 - maybe having them set the same helps somehow (I don’t know how any of this really works). Driver performance mode is set to high speed rather than highest, buffer safety margin left at 100…

Not sure why it’s working now, I guess that means it might not work tomorrow

Zac_Kyoti
Please file bug reports, folks. Elektron doesn’t monitor everything on this forum.

Done.

3 Likes

I’m planning on it, but I’ve been having trouble getting any logging that shows any indication of the problem. All the logging seems to show everything working properly. Regardless, I’ll file a bug tonight when I get home.

As a reminder, I’ve got this hanging note issue when an Akai Force is sequencing the digitone :

After testing the MIDI out of the Force, it appears when a note ends naturally (without muting), a “note off” message is send at the end of the trigged note.
When I press the mute button on the Force, the MIDI message is different, this is a CC called “all notes off” :

The “note off” message is correctly understood by the Digitone, but the CC “All Notes Off” isn’t.
My two other synths, as shown in the video, understand the “All Notes Off”.

Is this a bug ? An oversight ?

3 Likes

I guess technically this is not a bug because you don’t have to follow the midi standard all the way while designing an instrument. But not doing so can cause a lot of incompatibilities, this being one.

This is the Akai being too smart for the Digi series. It’s sending an “all notes off” message to stop all notes in stead of going though it’s memory, figure out which notes are on, and then sending them in series. This makes sense because an" all notes off" message is a lot shorter and thus sends faster, keeping the timing tighter. And almost every synth supports this.

I think it’s baffling though. The controls on the midi “Filter” page show all the names from the midi standard when certain controls are selected. They even blocked every CC above #119, this is where all the “Channel Mode Messages” are located. The “All Notes Off” message is part of those(CC #123).
On top of that, the Digi boxes send an “All Notes Off” when double pressing the stop button.

So, to answer your question: I’s not a bug, but an oversight that doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.
I think it’s best to handle this as a bug though. The Digi’s should at least follow the midi standard for “Channel Mode Messages” to increase compatibility. (Also for “Program Change”.)