šŸŽƒ Halloween track challenge

You meant ghosting I guess? :ghost: :jack_o_lantern:

Me too, but I donā€™t want to watch all categories.
What about #elektron-gear category?

2 Likes

I really enjoyed this challenge. I really liked all of the entries. Iā€™m looking forward to the next one also. I like the idea of a Christmas theme - perhaps using samples from a Christmas film or song. Maybe a techno/IDM/EDM/hip hop beat. Is this crazy? Iā€™m just spitballing here; Iā€™ll go with whatever you all decide! :v:ļø

2 Likes

Why music styles limitations?
My favorite movies : :christmas_tree:

1 Like

Orā€¦

Gabber remixes of oxide and neutrino hits.

1 Like

Cool. Iā€™m up for another challenge, yes I am. Would be nice to finally get to use all of my cheesy jingly Xmas samples that I have gathered.
And maybe this time I remember to vote as well :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

@konputa Thanks again for the challenge, very fun to work with these limitations and I love the variety we got.

Id appreciate any more feedback on mine from anyone and likewise id be glad to give my personal feedback and thoughts. Ill be waiting for the next one!

4 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, I loved your track and it was in the top few at a minimum for me. Really captured the vibe of the movie and the arrangement was terrific!

2 Likes

There doesnā€™t have to be style limitations. I was just thinking of styles that I like and/or would like to try to create. :star_struck:

2 Likes

Like Gabber?
I mean, who doesnā€™t like Gabberā€¦

3 Likes

If any Octatrack user interested, here is my OT project :

Bank 5, pattern E02

2 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback! It means a lot to me. I loved the challenge and glad we had so many participants. I will admit, not my best work but felt good after submission. Look forward to the next Challenge, as well as my continued learning as a student of music production. Thanks to all that participated. You guys put out some great material!

Also feel like my tracks volume was a little lower than all other submissions. Maybe Iā€™m wrong thoughā€¦

5 Likes

I always have that problem, I find a bit of aggressive limiting on the master track does the trick, along with a bit of makeup gain on the tracks I really want to punch out of the mix.
Be careful taking my advice though, Iā€™m deaf in one ear and have horrendous tinnitus, my mixes are probably awful.

2 Likes

Hi, I would like to add, that the voting process was quite confusing and will suggest this:

A ā€œnon-publicā€ voting, where only the contributors vote for one (or three) favourite track(s) AND at the same time give feedback, why they like the particular one and what could have been done better.

The ā€œwinnersā€ are then invited (aka obligated :rofl:) to explain/deconstruct the track/process further.

A ā€œpublicā€ voting via an online-form could be an extra, as its less meanigful without feedback.

LetĀ“s hope we can do at least one more (christmas?) challenge this year.

And next year it could be even a monthly thing? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments. This nature of this subforum is such that it tends not to be high volume. Weā€™ll get better with participation and feedback from the community. :slight_smile:

I am definitely down with doing another challenge before year end. Iā€™ll happily put it together if sezare56 or others do not. :wink:

4 Likes

Fingers crossed I find it as much fun as this one!

I sometimes struggle with the challenges. Thatā€™s all down to me mind you (not liking genre or some other thing to moan about). Anyway, can see what comes and hopefully it will give me another excuse to roll out the OT for some fun!

4 Likes

I usually struggle with the genre thing too, @J0n35y. This specifically is why I had genre soft requirements in the 2 challenges Iā€™ve curated this year; I wanted to explore a little into types of music I donā€™t normally do. I need to push myself back into this since family life has taken a heavy toll on my personal creative output. Over the last nearly 10 years Iā€™ve put out less music than I normally would in a single year. That needs to change.

This has been good fun and itā€™s great to see others having fun with it as well.

4 Likes

What did you find confusing? Feedback is appreciated.

I was considering adding a comment text field, but previously, people havenā€™t wanted to spend the time completing comments.

Learning happens when our limits are pushed.

2 Likes

Your onlineform was not confusing, thanks for putting that together so quickly :+1:

it was more the fact that at first, konputa wanted a direkt message for voting, with just one track. (winner) Later there was the onlineform with first, second, third. And also the timeframe was not clear, so some people were like: i can vote tomorrow at the earliest, is this still ok?

all in all no big deal, but if the voting process is scheduled and clear from the beginning, it will be a little smoother for all i think

5 Likes

The toughest part for me was trying to stay inside the genre parameters. That also made it hard for me to vote! I just donā€™t know much about these styles. That was also the fun part. The online form was simple enough, it was just (very) briefly confusing before the form was added

2 Likes

Very good idea this challenge, congratulations
That there is another call for a new challenge??

1 Like