šŸŽƒ Halloween track challenge

Also voted!

1 Like

I think the tracks are screwed upā€¦the 1 under my name isnā€™t mineā€¦noticed others were different too.

Uh ohā€¦do over?

Now itā€™s normalā€¦I swear Iā€™m not trippinā€¦it was normal earlier tooā€¦then they all switched around. Now normal again.

1 Like

What I see from my end is this:

#17 Sharris (embeded soundcloud link pointing to Sharris Firestarter - Donā€™t make me do it)

Is this not what you see?

Now itā€™s what I seeā€¦it was something with Octatrck in the titleā€¦but only for a minuteā€¦so I looked at others & noticed nionmu & you were under different names tooā€¦it like glitched for a minute.

Maybe my iPad canā€™t handle all the fire beats :fire:

1 Like

Ahhhh!!! Thatā€™ll be it.
It is a Google Form after all :wink:

3 Likes

Donā€™t mean to concern anyoneā€¦it was just for a minuteā€¦& I admit I smoked a littleā€¦stuffā€¦just green stuffā€¦ maybe I was trippinā€¦ sorry for the concern :sleeping:

4 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing::sunglasses:

:hushed::dash::rocket:

4 Likes

Come on people! Letā€™s get more votes in!

Thanks if you have done so already :slight_smile:
See link above.

3 Likes

I messaged @konputa, but donā€™t mind filling out the form.
Just let me know, I donā€™t want to double vote!

2 Likes

It was put up after he had solicited votes due to a mixup.
If you havenā€™t already, head over there and make your voice heard - and itā€™s nice and warm as well.

3 Likes

Thanks to @mightlife for the voting form and mad respect to all that contributed musically.

Personally, I think @amku and @mightlife probably hit the esthetic I had in mind more than anyone else.

According to the popular vote:
1st place sezare56
2nd place was tied between amku and Afim
3rd some other dude

I had a few thoughts to share on the tracks sent in.

1. Iā€™m glad to see so many chose to participate. I hope we can grow from here.
  2. The quality and variety was fantastic and inspirational.
  3. I was genuinely surprised by the output and Iā€™m thinking this should be packaged together as some sort of noncommercial release. No kidding, please let us know if we can bundle this for the public.

#1 The gritty saturated sound of Anfimā€™s track plus the classic IDM feel really sits with me. This is quality.

#2 Nice selection of samples to build out the ā€œIā€™m sitting in front of an old TVā€ vibe. The breakdowns are a great nod to the past. 1 of 2 by Snipecatcher.

#3 The 2nd piece by Snipecatcher and I think Iā€™m hearing some FM or maybe FM samples. Again, very cool period vibe. Funny enough, this recording reminds me of some mid 80ā€™s Skinny Puppy.

#4 amkuā€™s sample manipulation is right on and that bass line that kicks in around :34, plus that wonderful buzzy pad around :59. I think this track probably nailed the target, more so than any other. I feel like I just listened to an enlightened 1987 and it was rad.

#5 Sebas, Iā€™m really feeling this dark vibe. I hope youā€™re able to grab a recording off the mixer next time. :slight_smile:

#6 J0n35y has some detailed pan/delay action going on and I think the synth stabs are really good. I see Trunkcam and I think Asscam. I am not sure if there is a connection but it makes one wonderā€¦ Regardless, youā€™re my friend and I have an eye patch, and a smile.

#7 I hope nionmu is doing acid jazz from time to time. Nice work with the vocal chops and I want to hear more from you.

#8 jete, the synth stabs. Bro. You need to tell us more about those synth sounds because they are rich and worth talking about. Melancholic and inspiring.

#9 nionmu breaks out the freaky sample manipulation along with dub vibes. The club groove you break into is good. Pitch bends. :wink:

#10 utter toss, piss off.

#11 My 1st thought is that Sherelle put together the most cinematic track of all. The strings and the funky reverb on the percussion tied it all together into an unsettling piece perfectly fit for a B horror film.

#12 How was Venice? Sinking. Guitar and drum beats that are spot on for the experimental underground releases that came out in the mid 80s. gugaā€™s choices of samples and synth lines meld together exceptionally well, in my opinion.

#13 Fin25 might be the kind of dude who says ā€œgo to hellā€ when given a set a rules. When that beat comes in around 1:30 though, shit. I turn it up and think that I need to hear more of this vibe from Fin25. Those synth stabs and the break beatā€¦

#14 Minimalist maximalist wizard sezare56 strikes again. I think my next challenge will be to him in particular. Iā€™ll ask him to write a DNB track using 4kb of samples at 3BPM and the rhythms will all be produced by phase cancellation to sound like 170BPM. Iā€™m not sure what else to say. This track also excels in the experimental feel, in my view.

#15 waftlord breaks out the fuzzy dreamy feel to great effect. Itā€™s an odd vibe to straddle chill and disturbed, yet you pull it off.

#16 Iā€™m thinking mightlife executed on the drum sounds and synth rises. And those nods. Yes, this is the shop. Way vapour, so synthwave. Nailed the sound, in my opinion. Great job on going after the esthetic of the genre.

#17 Sharris. Where do I begin. Synth hop trip wave? That beat comes in like a sigh of relief. Effective use of the samples. I want to hear more.

#18 Cepheid, excellent saturated synth sounds. Iā€™d love to know more about how you made them. Itā€™s fantastic how you bring in the bass. Waldorf on bass?

Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one that would like to hear feedback from others on how this went.

11 Likes

So thereā€™s no prize?

Ridiculous.

4 Likes

Thanks for so many votes ! (4 including mine! :smile:), and thanks again @konputa and all.

You get a free download of your track! :thup:

2 Likes

Charts from the Google Sheet created of the poll results (be aware that the colours arenā€™t consistent):

Well done @sezare56!

7 Likes

Voted for your own track?

2 Likes

Once only! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did a handful of industrial records in the ā€˜90ā€™s and I really loved Skinny Puppy a lot at the time. Wouldnā€™t surprise me at all if some of that still creeps in from time to time :slight_smile:
As for FM stuff, all I used were samples from the film. Nothing else, though I love FM and plan on getting an FM synth in the future. Thanks again for letting me participate and thanks everyone for making such great music!

3 Likes

Hi folks, thanks for this nice challenge, it was fun and inspiring for me. Also enjoyed the variety in the results and will try to give feedback to all the entrys laterā€¦

IĀ“m fine with any kind of release.

Looking forward to participate on the next one.

3 Likes

thanks for hosting this and your feedback on the tracks!

listening to some ā€œacid jazzā€ at the moment, to check if i have done something like it in the past accidentally :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll try my best to give feedback, of course I have something good to say about all of them! Thanks for puttin this on @konputa so much fun, just a great all around experience. Cant wait for the next 1 :heart_eyes::sunglasses:

2 Likes