Glo Phase AR sets

Ha! I guess I sort of picked five out of nowhere. After the name “five thieves” I sort of had to commit. I’m sure there will be more at some point, gloved or not. Thanks for listening.

Hey everyone!
Wanted to share a new set I recorded yesterday. I’ll do another handful of these over the next few months. Enjoy! :grinning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZWBB9-N3Bo

6 Likes

You did it again. Might be my favourite, so far.

2 Likes

Thanks, Andreas! Much appreciated. Yeah I think it might be my fav as well. Cheers to you!

1 Like

Your work is brilliant. Nice ear, killer skills, thanks for the music!

2 Likes

hey, thanks! much appreciated, cheers to you!

1 Like

Finally got round to listening to this. Dope! How are you finding the Rytm compares or complements the OT? I used both for a while but ended up going back to the OT because I missed live sampling and detailed chopping.

Expert-level. You make that Rytm sing! This is like watching a professional driver behind the wheel of a finely tuned racing automobile. (But you forgot your driving gloves!)

Hey thanks. I haven’t really figured out the ideal way to do my full live set so far. I was considering having the OT follow rytm patterns and having additional layers for these patterns but they’re already pretty full. I’ll prob end up almost using them like two separate decks and going back in forth between them. Funny to have them both set up but never using together. Whatever works I guess! I could imagine they’d really pair well together in some other’s setups.

Appreciate it! Yeah no gloves this time. Oddly had some negative feedback on them, seemed like a moot point to me. thanks for listening!

1 Like

New set, something a bit different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF3HN7dWQRg&t=105s

3 Likes

Just discovering this today . . . man, these are so good. Talk about a deep dive into the Rytm.
Wondering how long it takes you to put together these live sets? Seems like you bang them out at the rate other people put out a single track. I’m envious . . .

1 Like

hey thanks! Last year I made it a point to fill an entire project with a 1:1 pattern/kit ratio, really just started that way to get the most out of designing kits, then thought it would be interesting to try to cram as many ideas I could into one project. I generally get the pattern pretty well developed, make it a point to take advantage of the trig conditions to give each more of a 128 step (or more) feel. Then work on the fill for the pattern and lastly scenes and performance mode. I prob spend 3-5 hours on a pattern, maybe sometimes going back in for some adjustments. For these youtube sets I’m picking about eight patterns w a similar vibe/bpm and put them in an order. From there I leave it pretty loose. I’ll generally start the set over a handful of times. Once I get a solid start I usually run with it. One or two of these were first takes I believe. I usually have some scenes I make note of that I want to hit throughout. There’s a lot of randomness in these still. Over planning has not worked for me with them. A lot of times transitions don’t work out the way I want. For the most part I have parts organized the same between patterns, that said I definitely don’t remember where everything is, or necessarily what the pattern is going to sound like when I switch. I probably have about 30% of the patterns (A1, C8, etc) memorized. The banks are organized by genre/vibe/bpm though so you can sort of guess around it. I generally have patterns I want to hit though so will usually take cheat sheets to sets. Also for the youtube sets I’m doing just a little bit of mixing, editing, mastering afterward. Hard to say exactly how many hours into one set but that should give you a better idea. I’ve recently started another project in which I’m planning on dedicating more than one pattern to a kit so I’ll be able to do more “songy” beats. Also working on a different type of live set where as I can fluidly incorporate my album music via octatrack and a few synths with the music I’ve put together strictly with the rytm. Overall I’ve put a bit of time in with the rytm. Knobs are wobbly and labels are wearing off. Thanks for listening!

7 Likes

Seriously. I’ve also had multiple people comment on my “gestures” as if there’s something affectatious in what I’m doing. I’d imagine the same people that go to shows/parties and probably think everyone around them enjoying themselves/dancing is posturing.

Thank you for that write up on your process. Great work.

2 Likes

[quote=“George_Michael, post:55, topic:17965, full:true”]
Seriously. I’ve also had multiple people comment on my “gestures” as if there’s something affectatious in what I’m doing. I’d imagine the same people that go to shows/parties and probably think everyone around them enjoying themselves/dancing is posturing.[/quote]

Incredible. But it’s just ignorants voicing their ignorance.

First, the sound alone it’s totally brilliant.
Hey, we’re talking about music, aren’t we ? Before the video comes the sound : a track like Dusty Ouverture should get any bad vibration to the trash. Immediately.

About the videos, anyone that knows a little bit about the Elektron machines and in particular the Rytm can see how you rock it.
Now you could play in underpants, I would not care a single second, because THIS SOUND IS FUCKING BRILLIANT !!!
There is not a single track from your late production that I dislike, and I’ve been listening many kinds of music for 25 years !
Well I’m less fond of the last one, I like the house feeling of ‘neon static’ a bit less…
But let me be frank and push the thing : the sound on your videos gets me more more excited than e.g. the listening of any track of last Radiohead album. I absolutely mean it, as a long time Radiohead fan.

So please, don’t let any GS biker or YT random guy tell you how to behave.
Put your gloves on top of your hand if that make you rock this machine harder, pose as much as you want, with such a sound you can do what the hell you want.

The only thing I would love you to do is either treat your videos to get a low-fi feeling, or some visual FX…
Or go full HD.

3 Likes

Just come across this thread and… WOW. Not only would i kill to have a hundredth of the skill you have with the AR but you use it to make amazing music. Blown away. Truly. and i say fuck those that mock gestures or some comedy gloves. Thay have nothing better to do.

2 Likes

Gloves are f-ing rad. I always look forward to what gloves will happen next. Oh, and the music is pretty good too, I guess :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, many many thanks for the nice words, so glad you’re feeling it! Yeah, I’m not so worried about those negative comments, for the most part the feedback is pretty positive. Just irksome for someone to suggest I’m being disingenuous when I’m putting a lot into it. And to me the gloves seemed like a moot point. All good though, I’ll get into some new ones shortly! My last set wasn’t my fav material either but just something I wanted to capture as I had enough patterns together to warrant doing so. Great ideas on putting some more thought into how the vids are looking, will def consider that for the future ones!
Working on some new 100% rytm downtempo material here on an extended stay in New Orleans. Putting video of some local scenes to some of the music. Really happy with how they’re turning out. Currently on day 5 of 10. Can check them out here: https://www.instagram.com/glo_phase/?hl=en
Thanks again for the nice words @LyingDalai @Ianh54 @Zac_Kyoti and everyone else!
-Joe

1 Like

new set, more of a downtempo/hip hop thing. happy spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4uqaa_KG9U

8 Likes