Generate Midi Clock from Audio or Midi Notes

Should be as simple as that :

1 note for Start

Several notes for Timing Clock (not sure about resolution).
Edit :

MIDI Timing Clock ( MIDI Sync) is a status byte (F8) that is sent 24 times per quarter note for note resolution .

1 Like

hej, awesome, many thanks again.
I would love this solution. <3

Could not find any info about the midi out, but i think i have a multimeter somewhere :slight_smile: and will try to check it / find some info how to.
This is the first useful thing i came across…

1 Like

@sezare56 i read your reply a bit careless … you where talking about the " MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus" not about the cable :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: … so yes, i will get the EPplus soon :slight_smile:

thnx again

Yes. Doable with RK002 too but more complicated to program. I’m about to check with EPPlus and OT.

1 Like

Do you want to buy a Lp16 too? Or what is your setup for OCTA & EPPlus?

I just ordered one…

I just checked sending notes thru EPPlus, seems to work syncing MD with OT.
I use 3 trig counts per step, hence 12 notes per quarter note. Don’t know why it isn’t 24…

No, it doesn’t have midi clock. :smile:
I’d prefer a 2nd OT. :wink:

Btw your mixer is USB and you can mix LP16 16 tracks, that’s it ?

I use EPPlus and other midi processors for different experimental midi purposes, the most interesting being slice control IMO.

Midi Processors with Octatrack

Made another test from MD to OT, seems to work too, tacking account of MD note resolution limitation.

So apparently you also need 12 notes per quarter note with OT.

1 Like

Mhmm, i use a anlog mixer and the lp16 helps to be (while “jamming”/dub mixing) 100% independent from any computer.

I missed the 16 individual audio outputs. :wink:
Interesting, even if I think I’d still prefer a midi control approach with a midi controller, OT…

How many aux for fx ? What fx? :slight_smile:

2x Sends (one is the Antmix internal FX send, wich i only use as a second AUX send at the moment) Timeline & Digitech Polara

1 Like

Or El Capitan? :slight_smile:

Nice. I hope the trick with EPPlus will work!

Yes , sorry el capistan, had timeline before, but sold it for el capistan

Thnx!

Hi again! :slight_smile:

Now i`m coming back to this with a bit of time. I got a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus here and i already was successful with sending a “Transport start” signal.

But the other thing, “Timing Clock” is a bit tricky. So, this was, what was happening:

So, you wrote

" MIDI Sync) is a status byte (F8) that is sent 24 times per quarter note for note resolution ."

So, i understood that i have to put 24 notes in each quarter-note-segment, right?
So, i tried to do that in ableton… my song has 143 bpm and i got a wooble bpm on the octratrack (and digittone) around 120 bpm… 116, 124, 118, 120 bpm back and forth and so on.

I guess the problem is, that there es no “even” grid in ableton for dividing a quarter note step in to 24 even segments, right?

At the moment i don`t know how to do the next step.

I feel like i am really close, because transport and partly the midi-sync are working (at least, i see the clock of the octracktrack get`s changes, that is a good start, right?).

Maybe you or someone else have a hint for me? Would be great.

I really wonder why you couldn’t make it work. The keystep is quite capable of converting all kinds of analog sync signals/standards into a standard midi clock. Are you sure you have used the right kind of settings for your generated audio signal?

https://www.arturia.com/faq/keystep/keystep-how-to-synchronize-my-keystep-with-an-analog-clock

If it is not stable, I would analyse the audio coming from the LP16. Maybe the playback is unstable itself? Or the pulse levels are not high enough or just on the border of not being recognized by the keystep (so it missing some)?

1 Like

There is a reason why the MIDI standard has an own category for real time messages like clock. These messages are short (just one byte) and gets prioritized (being sent even in the middle of other multi-byte messages).

I don’t think what you try to accomplish by sending normal notes at a rate of 1/96th is stable enough to be used as clock signal. The simple fact that these messages are multi-bytes messages makes them already unstable to some degree.

Additionally: the piano roll of Ableton Live is here definitely the wrong tool. Any Max4Live device will do better (re-record the MIDI output of arppegiators, for example). Or even better: use a tracker instead of Ableton Live to produce that MIDI track.

1 Like

Hej, thanks for the reply! I really appreciate.

I possibly did a mistake when setting up keystep, i can not remember, but i think i wasn`t even in this option menu.

I think it is the best chance to try to get that working with the keystep again, because the midi solution thing is, taking your comment about it into account, not really promising.

I will try that next.

Yep. I also believe that the keystep “road” is the most promising one, especially because there are so many possible configurations.

Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Hope it will work…

Hello guys!

Since I found myself facing the same problem, I’m very interested to see if a solution was found to it?

1 Like

To be honest my solution was buying a ERM Multiclock :sweat_smile: