Gear that is art

My heart is still Belgian but I’ve lived in The Netherlands for almost 20 years now…

So sweeeeet…

it IS gear :wink:

3 Likes

I must add this then, because it’s GEARS. :wink:

(Porsche’s 8 speed Doppelkupplung transmission…)

3 Likes

Currently Gasing over the new Nord Grand. Such an elegant, well crafted piece. Think it really takes the Nord line to a whole new level, particularly with that grey raised control band across the whole unit, rather than the flat panel areas they usually do. Though maybe this is more design than art. Still, comes off as a work of art to me. I think I’d really like to have a totally excellent digital piano at my house for the rest of my life, kind’ve like my guitars which I never sell.

10 Likes

I think design and art can intertwine a bit, as well as a touch of science and engineering. They’re separate disciplines, but I feel like they do overlap quite a bit in many cases.

2 Likes

http://www.vintageguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/ROLAND_SPACE_ECHO_05.jpg

15 Likes

Some more from my friend and local luthier, Ken Bebensee…

10 Likes

Is that big one a warr guitar?

2 Likes

10 String! :smile:

10 Likes

9 Likes

YES! The Axo setup that a friend prepared me for last year Spring time!

5 Likes

Not my synth or picture but certainly art.

7 Likes

4 Likes

22 Likes

Does this count?

11 Likes

Yes I think so! He’s working on a new Marble Machine at the moment, the Marble Machine X, looking forward to seeing him tour it when it’s finished (and Covid is gone).

1 Like

I saw that on reverb the other day, oof!

Yes it is! And much more visually appealing to me than photos of mass-produced synths.

A piece of gear that I GAS does not automatically qualify as a good work of art just because I have GAS for it.

not of a fan of that. while it is cool looking, the functionality/user experience is severely degraded by having all modulation sources in the patch field be white banana jacks, and all faders have white tips. the color coding on the original Easel is part of the beauty of it. not just in looks, but in how simple and fun it is to use.

2 Likes

I have to agree with you. As an object I think it’s deeply alluring - but functionally I’d take the original Easel.

1 Like