Gaming [spin-off topic]

Nintendo is sitting on a pile of some of the world’s best video games and won’t give them to us on the switch… Bizarre

From recent whispers, I reckon SNES games are coming to Switch. They might be hidden behind an additional paid tier of Nintendo online or delivered like their nes games, who knows, but I’ll be on board ether way.

SNES, Game Boy and N64 dominated my life between about 10-18.

I was thinking about this the other day

If I want to replay Super Mario 64 (which I do cause it’s been a whiiiile) the only way to do so is on the N64. The Wii and WiiU eshops are shut down, so unless I already bought it I can’t do so. The DS version doesn’t have an analog stick. And Nintendo shut down all the rom sites (though I’m sure they’re out there somewhere).

I just wanna pay like 5-10 bucks to replay an old Nintendo game… I don’t wanna dig out my N64 and hook up the av cables and blah blah blah.

1 Like

You can def still get a hold of the roms - I did so recently for a retro pi project and it worked well enough.

Totally agree on the retro console hassles though. That’s the beauty of the SNES Mini though and I’d be amazed if we didn’t see a N64 Mini in time - imagine one of them loaded with the classics and bundled with 4 controllers?! Would be epic!

And despite fully competing Super Mario World on several formats, I think I would still be easily persuaded to buy it a gain on any new Switch store. That or get hooked on Nintendo Online indefinitely to be able to play on demand.

1 Like

Just got a Scuf vantage controller for my call of duty black ops iii marathons. I’ll get it this week. Game on

https://scufgaming.com/sales/back-to-school?ab=hp_bts_080119

Those Hex Camo styles look nice!

1 Like

You read my mind. I got the hex camo in green! Hahah. I can’t wait to Scuf jump in black ops iii.

There is an excellent half hour audio from the BBC In the Studio of sound design for the World of Warcraft:

You can skip in about 55 seconds on this to go by the setup blurb.

First off i am amazed of how much the sound design team works with physical things, it sounds like the majority of work is recording real inventions of their own, and then sound processing those.

Two examples:

• Blowing, whispering, and yelling through PVC pipes whose ends are submerge in a tank of their own home made slime.
  • Making a monsters throat and mouth with a garbage can, with voice cords made from a copper wire, and stroking the voice cord with a cello bow, while manipulating a mouth made to attach to the garbage can.

Makes me want to experiment making physical sound design sound-makers myself.

Also interesting is the team work that goes into making the complete project, like the planning meeting, coming up with a set of creative words and ideas that are the core inspiration that the sound designers take away to work from.

Sounds like a fun place to work. I know there are a few people around Elektronauts that do this sort of work – Do you have any comments on the stuff in this audio?

(When/if this link goes dead PM me, i’ve downloaded the podcast and can provide that instead.)

5 Likes

Just got this copy of Dr Mario… the Japanese version, same game nicer box art.

6 Likes

Dr Mario is so addictive :heart:

2 Likes

It really is, I used to be almost a purest to tetris as “the puzzle game” but now Dr Mario is really giving it a run for its money. It came just in time too, powers been out at my place for days now… just me and the doctor :smile:

2 Likes

Another Dr. Mario fan here (and Tetris managed 512 lines on DS Tetris). I love playing Dr. Mario two player.

I just picked up this game this morning. I haven’t had a chance to play it yet, but it looks incredibly fun:

Wife Pre-ordered this game for me. I always loved the metal gear solid series, this one looks to be similar mechanics way different storyline. Can’t wait! Will get no music done in November.

7 Likes

W…T…F…

There was some cheese. But holy crap that looks crazy. :+1:t6:

1 Like

The graphics are insane, we’ve came a long way since Atari. I like Hideo Kojima productions because he always has interesting mechanics and unexpected features thrown at you. I remember playing the Original Metal Gear Solid and fighting Psycho Mantis was a trip. The fact the game read your memory card and used that information in the game was a simple but revolutionary design in my opinion. Breaking the 4th wall.

2 Likes

I thought changing the controller slot to fight psychomantis was even cooler… although I think the first game to break the 4th wall like that to my memory was star tropics where it came with a physical letter you had to dip in water to reveal a hidden message to proceed in the game. Death stranding should be insane and hopefully good at the same time!

1 Like

Anyone playing Mobile Suit Battle Operation 2 on PS4 , super fun gundam/ mobile suit PvP matchmake game ! Has cash grabs but I’ve gotten plenty of OG suits thru just playign daily and doing the 30 coin supply drop.

1 Like

Been waiting for this since kojima productions started ! Also you play MGS5 online ever ? I’m your dude !

1 Like

I wish I had time or the skill to play anything online. Last time I played online was Fortnite and I sucked! My heyday was Battlefield 2 online. Loved that game. I can’t play competitive anything these days. Though I did whoop my older brother at Rampart the other day on NES. Anyone remember that?

1 Like

I pre-ordered as well, been waiting for this for so long, still have no idea what it’s about and I plan on keeping it that way till the 8th

1 Like