Fx pedal for the OT

Hi,

I am looking at getting an FX pedal since i like knobs to use as a FX loop for the OT.
I was first looking at different options since 1) i don’t really know what i want 2) last time i had a glance at fx pedals was like 15 years ago…
Things changed a lot! Tons of interesting FX/formats and all.
I was interested by the Thermae but the price tag made me cool down… i was originally looking at Zoia but i think the OT is enough to scratch my head for now and the UI and the sound examples did not convince me, especially for live tweaking.
Also the small footprint is important. Ideally, i would choose a stereo pedal so i can use it for the OT and for my guitar separately.
MIDI would be great to sync with the OT.
I am leaning towards fx like delay/reverb/lofi/granular/pitchshifting
Presets also, very important!
Any recommendation?

I’ve seen the Lysergic emotions module by Mastro Valvova which seems nice but no stereo and no MIDI. There’s a CV though but i don’t know nothing about it. Can i use it to sync with the OT by any chance? Any workaround to use the pedal with 2 different inputs (Y cable or other).

Thanks a lot i start to have bubbles in the brain!

I think you mean ideas are bubbling away – (air) bubbles in the brain are not desirable!

Anyway, have you looked at the Strymon pedals? They’re kinda expensive but worth it and there’s lot of midi integration. For example, I used to do lots of automatic looping with a TimeLine and DT. You don’t need that with OT, but I was impressed at how tight everything was. Worth a look at least!

1 Like

Poly beebo/digit, though currently a bit tough to come by.
It checks all your boxes.
Like an easier to use Zoia with touchscreen and presets, but also depth if you wanna deep dive.
2x stereo ins and outs(insane)
Midi in and out on 1/4s.
Impulse reverbs and convolution stuff (amp/cab sim, tape machine sim)
Euro rack ports from Mutable Instruments.
A ton of great effects out the gate, plus you can build whatever patches you desire.
Future updates will include a few sampler and sequencer modules according to the creator.
I’m in love with mine and can’t imagine wanting/needing another pedal for a very long time.
(Edit: links and words)

Zoom CDR if you are dipping your toe in the water pricewise. USB midi only and at that currently under investigation by a fellow ‘naut as to whether an axoloti might be used to open up midi control and DIN midify it…

3 Likes

Definitely with midi!
I have an Hx Stomp for my guitar. Tons of fx. Midi. It has amp sim.
There’s a model more dedicated for fx, Helix Effects or something.
Pretty easy to set up imho.
Montreal 856
Eventide H9.
Yes Zoia…

I run a Meris Mercury 7 on the cue out which allows me to run the OT delay on every track.

In my experience I found I preferred a straightforward single effect rather than multiple fx like Collider or even deeper pedals like Timeline/Big Sky cause for most of the time it’s set and forget. But that’s just me and I make mostly techno.

Another effect I’d consider would be a real tape echo or an El Cap and use the OT verbs on tbe tracks. Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

Eventide H9 comes to mind immediately.

1 Like

yeah the H9 is amazing… only warning is that hands-on tweaking of details is a bit of a pain… though if you’re into presets (what i understood from your post) it does have the great hotswitch feature where you can use the single dial (or footpedal) to morph between two settings.
I also have one MIDI track of the OT set to control my H9 so that I can automate parameters that way (and have a bit more direct tweaking using the OT encoders… just have to remember what each one does!!!)

2 Likes

H9 is a perfect match for OT, 10 midi cc on a OT track are perfect for the 10 parameters in H9 algos.

I recently built this little box for my H9, it gives me a knob to control the hotknob parameter macro in the H9 (on delays I usually control feedback, the switch is to engage delay freeze/hotswitch on reverb and pitchfactor algos.
I choose important parameters for direct access on the H9 (like filter and modulation, map the most important parameters to my control box -
This lets me ‘play’ the H9.

The potentiometer controls the expression function (it‘s basically an expression pedal - 25kohm log potentiometer), so switch and knob can be mapped to other parameters (everything in H9) as well.
Mapping is saved per preset.

5 Likes

I am looking for something less traditional that would eventually come up as an instrument, giving ideas, etc.

1 Like

I had a look at it but reviews are not so convincing from what i heard. It looks like it’s still in development.
Also it’s a bigger footprint than what i would like.

I am a bit doubting about interfaces that can do a bit of everything. Lots of knowledge involved and learning curve i guess.

Meris sounds great and i was appealed by 5he Polymoon.
But the MIDI implementation where you need an extrabox… no thank you.
I agree with you for the straight forward pedals but i am in search of something that can give ideas for composition as well, hence the idea of Thermae or LEM.

I spent some years with a Zoom pedal but menu diving must have an end :wink: the MS70 seems to pack a lot of nice fx but the UI for live is just unbearable.
Plus i can afford some better sound quality :wink:

Ooh, in that case Bastl Thyme! I was sold on that ever since I saw Cenk doing his thing on that with (I think) an OT and a Rytm. Never did end up getting one though.

Edit: This is the gig that sparked my interest:

10 Likes

I’m gonna have a look to the H9 although live tweaking seems clumsy.

That’s the spirit! I stumbled across the Bastl path a few times in the past, unconventional machine is what i am after.
Gonna check some review of it alone cause it’s hard to tell from the video between all the gear (i just get the bit reduction and filtering) and the scenes :wink:

1 Like

Nice one. OT can do that too though…:pl:

4 Likes

Apart from coffee, there’s not much the OT can’t do.

Then if some shortcuts and live playability are available without sacrificing 2 or 3 tracks, i’ll take it!

1 Like

One drum sample with 1 additional fx track, 2 recorders. Tweak with OT of course!

7 Likes

Don’t test @sezare56 about what the OT can’t do. Hell drop a soundcloud link to a brewing cup before you hit reply.

11 Likes