FX Unit or Pedal for Transition FX

Hey all,

Was curious if anyone had a suggestion on an FX unit I could use on the master output of my setup for transitions between songs in a Live PA situation. My price range would be up to $500 US. But I’m willing to hear opinions about something more expensive if it meets my requirements and is exceptional.

I need MIDI sync (if something is really cool I could live with tap tempo if it is accurate and easy to access), It has to be stereo (dual mono is fine if it is a pedal that isn’t true stereo), preferably something unique, meaning something more than just a regular old delay or reverb or filter. I’d prefer something in production that is currently available for purchase. Easily accessible presets would be fabulous but I understand that is a big ask.

I’ve had a Korg Kaoss Pad 3 a couple times and I am pretty “meh” on most of the FX on it, though I like much else about it. I was also thinking perhaps a one of the Boss RC loopers. I don’t want to make it seem like I’m specifically looking for a looper or sampler. I don’t really need to sample the master to make transitions. I’ve also seen the Pioneer RMX 500 and 1000. The 1000 doesn’t seem $800 cool.

I’ve also looked at the Microcosm and Nightsky Pedal–while I certainly don’t view them as one trick ponies there are almost certainly no demos using them in the way I’m looking to (or none I could find anyhow). I don’t want to spend $400 on a pedal that only lets me do a few transition tricks. I think I could get away with a cheaper pedal to do that with.

I’m a bit of a loss because a few things feel close–the RMX and RC series feel a bit static while something like a pedal feels open ended? A little more sound design ish and less cheesy/obvious FX.

The FX unit would also currently be the last thing in my chain before it hits my PA system which I’m currently using for speakers and that doesn’t sound like the most fabulous idea. Especially with reverb and delay that can get out of control.

I fully realize that what I want might not really exist and I’ll have to make compromises.

@RFJ

1 Like

Lexicon Vortex

And you can use an expression pedal

1 Like

I’ll have a look! Thanks : )

Curious to see what you find, I briefly tried to use the Kong nst1 for this but the volume on the output is very low and it’s a bit easy to clip the input. I wasn’t really in love with the sound of the different delays on it but they are pretty good especially for the money. My ultimate solution has been to more or less set up a mono dub delay style fx send and then eat up a mixer input channel. My needs and wants did change a bit though, as I have got something different on my master bus now.

1 Like

I’ve been eyeing the NST-1 as well, but more for what you are describing : ) – an aux send effect. Out of curiosity what do you have on your master these days?

I got a pretty resounding recommendation for the Hologram Electronics Microcosm pedal from a trusted friendl. I’m trying to stay objective and ignore the fact I’d probably love it just for recording sounds into my my Digitakt lol.

Heard the Zoia is quite capable of a very wide range of customisation, so you could technically do any and every effect with it if you take the time to program it or find the community sourced patches that serve your purposes? I don’t have it though.

2 Likes

Just had a quick glance at the Zoia. Wow. I wasn’t aware this existed. I’d have to check out what it is like to program it and what the community patches are like. On paper this is looking quite good. I wasn’t even aware this existed though I know people around here favor Empress pedals.

1 Like

I have the Syntrx on the master now, really found I like it for saturation, and stereo tilt filters, along with the mono spring reverb and ringmod type stuff. So for now it lives on my master bus. I actually should revisit the nts1 as a send at the time I really just wanted something on the master as a quick fix for an upcoming live show. Now I have strega on the send which has been a ton of fun.

2 Likes

I have a ZOIA and I think it’s pretty easy to program patches in it, the interface is pretty easy to use with the “hold an OUT button to an IN to connect them” approach.

What is really fucking hard with the ZOIA is to read others’ patches, I’ve loaded a bunch of the community patches onto mine and it takes quite a long while to figure out the routings done, mostly because it’s so open in the way you can organise the patch with multiple pages that it becomes very easy to forget what is connecting to what if you don’t keep notes.

So in general: very easy to program your own patches, go crazy with it, very hard to read others’ patches to get inspiration from.

1 Like

Well, for transition tricks the allen and heath db4 is amazing. Multiple filters, loopers, fx, input matrix, all you need for great transitions. Can be had 2nd hand for under a thousand euros. Midi sync out over usb, or otherwise great bpm detection on inouts and you can set midi bom also manually.
This my odball suggestion, but it just works so well for this.

Otherwise I do enjoy my boss rc201 for this. I put that on a send and set it so it cuts incoming audio after loop is recorded. Then play with its fx and set the rest if your gear ready for the next song. Works well, however the db4 is absolutely at another level.

I have tried pioneer fx as well, but for that money Id absolutely have a look at the db4 instead

Have you got a more specific idea of the FX you are looking for?

For transitioning i would tend to use the pedal on the Aux Send rather than the Master Output. An integrated looper is a big plus IMO for that purpose.
I’m using the Microcosm and find it flexible enough for my needs at the moment.

I posted a similar question a few months ago, you might get some ideas from that thread: Fx pedal for the OT

Thank you so much everyone a lot of cool options for me to ponder here but I taught all week then had to work my retail job this weekend. I’ve not forgotten your thoughtful suggestions : )