FMR RNC or RNLA on master

I m getting very very similar results from them with these settings but without log release on rnla off (tuned by ear). Techno mix. GR peaking at 4dB. Nice glue compressor effect, not heavy pumping or limiting.

That s with a 100hz 12db high pass filter in the sidechain loop on both, via Motu Ultralite DSP.

Notice that the treshold on rnla is quite a bit lower than on rnc. Very different behavior there.

With log engaged I think I like the rnla just a tad more. Subtle difference but it s there. Just that bit more snappy.

Rnla coloring is a very subtle affair. On most material I don’t hear it at all. On some kicks I do. Maybe it s because I ve only done light and moderate compression.

Re: coloring. What sort of material and GR levels do other rnla users hear it on?

6 Likes

I could only ever hear it on very midrange forward, isolated sources. Vocals, guitars, horns, etc.

On a full mix or even a drum buss, the difference gets lost quickly.

2 Likes

What’s the idea actually with the RNLA being more expensive, @dtr any idea what on paper (or in production costs) would set the two apart?

Thanks for not being a lazy heap like me and posting a link and timecode. :star:

The RNLA has balanced outputs, the RNC does not.

The “more colored sound” has little to do with components and more to do with the RNLA’s differently shaped attack and release envelopes.

Other differences can be gleaned from the PDF manuals and marketing materials of each.

1 Like

Yes the manual has much explanation of the differences and design philosophy. Is price difference due to components, assembly, dev costs or simply margin? No idea. Maybe FMR realized from rnc success that they could earn quite a bit more :smile:

Yes i think the coloring they speak of is in context of a pristine studio recording situation on acoustic instruments. Not noisy raw techno…

1 Like

Oops typo… meant to say they sound similar with those settings and log rel OFF.

Plus I remember from researching the two that actually the RNLA was agaínst the makers design philosophy, being more colored. He actually was super happy with the very clean RNC. But people kept asking for a version with more coloring. So by popular demand he made the RNLA. I think something along those lines

But this makes sense then definitely

Thanks to everyone on this forum. Got my RNLA today and tried it out with a side-chained EQ pedal – really does make a huge difference on the bass.

1 Like

Ordering FMOD from the US specifically for this. Thanks for posting it @AdamJay!
Plan - Mixer master insert >> Analog Heat >> RNLA + FMOD = :boom: :boom:

I still have to buy the Heat and the RNLA but it’s a start right :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Does anyone else get a small boost in (digital) noise with the RNC on their master? It sounds like some kind of feedback but I can’t figure out the cause of it…

Hey ! Same here but can’t figure out why either :frowning:

1 Like

I have balanced cables on the outs because my interface has balanced ins. I know it’s an unbalanced unit. I wonder if that’s the culprit…

To the thread: Would it be a prudent thing to have made a custom TR to XLR cable?

Balanced cables can carry unbalanced signals just fine; and most modern balanced inputs can accept unbalanced cables without issue.

So, if you’re suspicious of your signal path or choice of cables, I would encourage you to try different configurations.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Sounds like a power / ground loop issue

1 Like

I’ve tried different sockets to no avail. Will continue to explore.

I would agree, in so far as I doubt the cables are the issue; provided, of course, that they are quality cables.

I have two RNC’s running in series off the inserts on my mixer, and have never had an issue with noise.

Cheers!

1 Like

Didn t notice when i had an rnc and din t have it now with rnla.

Rnc manual does warn not to use balanced connections. While i think that’s because of the input jack that does both in and output, perhaps they have something undocumented going on on the output jacks too.