FMR RNC or RNLA on master

I spoke directly with FMR long ago and they said I could use balanced cables.

Most likely a ground loop (I’m over in the other thread discussing power conditioners anyway so might not be an issue soon)

1 Like

(Attn: @electricmotion)

Whelp to update this I put a noise filtering splitter into the mix but could still hear PC noise. Went on a frantic, sweaty hunt for the culprit and nothing made any bit of sense. So I said fuck it, put a DI Box (ART RDB) on the outs of the RNC and

Gone. All the noise problems (hum, pc mouse etc) I’ve been plagued with for so long just disappeared. I’ve never heard my system so quiet.

Maybe it works without a DI for some people but it sure as shit wasn’t working in my system.

3 Likes

@xidnpnlss Many thanks for reporting This !

@xidnpnlss would you mind sharing your opinion of the ART RDB ?

Edited in light of new facts

I hesitate to recommend it as a DI as its actually a reamper, the DI part is kind of a bonus (I was lucky to have it so I could discover the need for a DI). The sound quality seems fine, but I’ve never put it up against any other DI. I will probably replace it eventually with a dedicated, higher end DI. If you are on a budget I’ve heard these Mackies are a great value.

All DI’s produce a mic level signal, not line, AFAIK.

1 Like

Oh hooo. Do they now… I thought it had something to do with it being a reamp. That would explain it. Will keep this in mind.

1 Like

Thank you! I edited my initial reaction.

This will save me from feeling like I need to run to get a new DI. And instead Enjoy The Silence (pinnnnggg)

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback !

Instead of using the Harrison Labs FMOD, could I simply EQ out the bass using a channel form my mixer?
I’m just trying to understand this method, and possibly just utilizing what I already have.

Yep, that would work.

2 Likes

just got an RNLA today, really nice little unit, reassuringly heavy and i love how it looks (even though the manual contains an apology for it being ugly!)

it’s my second hardware compressor (first was a Behringer thing i bought in the pub for £50, played with once and never used it again, it was awful). i’m using it on the master bus with a drum machine, Octatrack, and a couple of synths for basic techno stuff. i’ve spent a bit of time dialling in sensible settings and i love how it sounds. it took my ears a while to hear what it’s actually doing, lots of A-B’ing, (always the way with compression for me) but i love it, it provides very nice mix glue, definitely a bit vibey, can get crunchy if you’re not careful, but it’s not a stunt box like an Analog Heat or whatever. just running a 909 kick (off my TR-6S) through it added some nice grit, dust, air, whatever. i love it, easily worth the £230 i paid. and a world away from any plugin compressor i’ve used.

definitely going to try puttiing a HPF in the sidechain loop though - i can see how bassy material could overwhelm it. it would be lovely if FMR made a deluxe version with a filter built in…

5 Likes

Adding the HPF to the side chain makes it insanely better.
Would definitely be cool to see them make deluxe versions.
I sold quite a bit of stuff to get a Heat.
No turning back now.

2 Likes

It s ugly. That type font🤦‍♂️

people never say that about Buchla gear despite all their panels being in comic sans

I wont hear a bad word against Comic Sans. It’s a brilliant font.

2 Likes

i used to work in adult education and i was told by someone more knowledgable than me that comic sans shouldn’t be maligned because it’s actually a highly accessible and readable font that’s really good for people who come to reading late or as a second language

1 Like

If you have a decent EQ pedal lying around, you can also use that instead of an HPF to strip out the bass from the source signal.

Same goes for a mixer with an EQ and FX or SOLO send on it.

I find using an EQ instead of an HPF helps you listen for exactly where the bass is overwhelming the comp . . especially if you’re like me and lazy about prepping your samples.

Most EQ pedals will do the job fine, but some may not like the balanced signal and distort if you drive them too hard, since they’re made for guitars.

I use a Guptech pPTSD because I got a good deal on a production model and it’s cute. But sometimes it clips when I hit it too hard, especially tracks with heavy bass. But with some careful tweaking it does the job fine till I get a better one.

I think most Boss pedals take balanced inputs and they’re easy to find used.

2 Likes

my first plan of action is to just run the loop through my audio interface and do the EQ on my laptop, see what the results are, and if they’re good, invest in some sort of set and forget HPF like the passive one mentioned earlier in the thread