Fever Ray / The Knife

As obligatory for the festive season as Low are:

Somewhere I have some DVDs of videos by The Knife that I must find; the Silent Shout live DVD (see above) is also quite fantastic.

4 Likes

Fever Ray’s debut is a stone-cold classic from start to finish. Plunge was a bit of a disappointment at first but certain tracks have really grown on me over time (the way a lot of great music does…)

3 Likes

I understand that some of the production for that track was by Seb Gainsborough (Vessel) and Manchester Collective’s Rakhi Singh. It does share some of the ideas/sounds from Vessel’s own work on

3 Likes

Yep.

@Azzarole A Tempest. Quite some time ago, maybe in 2017 or 2018, if I recall? I could probably find the e-mail again, I remember saving it cause I thought it was so cool he reached out to me :slight_smile:

EDIT: Found it. 2015 :slight_smile: got his adress and everything.

I think both him and Karin are Gothenburgers, I even think their final gig as the Knife was right in my neighbourhood, in Gothenburg Film Studios. That was quite something. Their shows were so intense.

7 Likes

I wish they never included that track about the male dude’s “member” on whatever album as it circumcised my appreciation of the Knife.

Well? Don’t be coy! What was he like?

1 Like

Is that a triple entendre?

1 Like

Yes, but to be honest I lifted that from a conversation I had recently had with someone at a bris.

2 Likes

Quite shy, didn’t wanna speak much. Gave no impression that he was aware of his star status. Could’ve been anybody, really. I wouldn’t call him a nice guy, but he certainly wasn’t the opposite either. He probably just wanted to close the deal and be gone, so that’s what happened :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Fascinating. I think I relate to this guy… which explains a lot…

1 Like

I’m finally listening to the new album in it’s entirety. Man, the production and expressiveness of the synths and percussion are quite astonishing. In some ways like Shaking the Habitual but taken further, with a greater sense of space and soundstage.

Edit: This one too. F*cking A.

6 Likes

New Fever Ray album is good. The debut album is an absolute classic. This new one does sound more Knife-like to me.

The Knife are/were great. Saw them play at Bestival (I think) a few years back with all their crazy custom instruments. Memorable.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think the first four tracks were produced with Olof, so very knifey.

6 Likes

Imagine your Tempest could be doing magic in some of the latest Fever Ray tracks or future ones :heart:.

1 Like

The bass that‘s a bass and also a bit of a bass drum at the same time is so great on New Utensils, right?

1 Like

Probably has done at this point :slight_smile: this was 2015.

1 Like

I loved the Knife up to Silent Shout, though did not like Shaking the Habitual at all. Loved all those orchestral percussion sounds in their early work, there is still a bit of that in Fever Ray, though I don’t really feel it. It always happens with good electronic pop music, they keep pushing the envelope until it’s abstract and the critics pretend they love it because it’s abstract, but deep down we all just want pop music again :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

It’s the opposite for me… my mind tunes out the pop cliches and focuses on the insane tone of her voice and their unique sound design/arrangements.

That said…

…this is pretty much how I feel about the latest Bjork album… too abstract and cacophonous to be enjoyable for me. Didn’t know that was possible :confused:

3 Likes

Speak for yourself.

Nobody would even remember who the knife were if they’d just carried on making pop records.

Silent Shout and Shaking the Habitual are masterpieces. I’m not sure many people were pretending to like them, in fact I’m pretty sure a few critics were pretty harsh on StH when it came out, I remember Alexis Petridis gave it a right mauling in The Grauniad.

And there’s still nothing on Earth that comes close to the genius of the vocal processing on the first Fever Ray album.

Of course, it’s not for everyone, but in terms of originality, the later stuff has a lot for the interested listener to enjoy.

9 Likes

The last Fever Ray tour was one of the best translations of primarily electronic/programmed music on the albums to a genuine live band performance with the group of international women they put together. It was one of the more joyous live shows I’ve ever seen. It looks like they’ve got at least some of the same band together for this tour so I’m really looking forward to it. The Knife Shaking the Habitual tour was also super cool but fell more in to a performance art/dance piece without much (if any) live performing outside of the group dance. It’s great to see Karin step out a bit with the live Fever Ray shows.

6 Likes