Fever Ray / The Knife

Loved The Knife (the live version of Heartbeats was our wedding song) and Love Fever Ray.

Nobody else sounds anything like them.

Really getting into the new FR record, going to see them at Field Day in August (can’t wait).

12 Likes

I relate to Fever ray sounds an imagery a lot, especially the first album. I think it sounds very feral, like some trance dreams, but with machines, I also like some of the Knifes more atmospheric tracks, here are my favorite ones:

Saw fever Ray live already for their Plunge album, was very cool but I could not tell if they were actually playing the songs live or just pretending. Very cool show anyways.

2 Likes

The track Carbon Dioxide from the new album goes into refreshing new territory. Really took me by surprise. What They Call Us is classic The Knife and Fever Ray mixed together into a singular mutant. Interesting how they try new stuff and do familiar stuff in the same album.

3 Likes

At this point, I believe it’s appropriate for me to mention that I’ve sold a synth to Olof Dreijer.

12 Likes

In person?

1 Like

I’ve been really into The Knife since Silent Shout and Fever Ray since the debut. Some of their music has been hit-or-miss for me, but the good stuff is SO good. Either would be one of the few bands that I travel a long distance to see perform live.

3 Likes

Do you mind elaborating a bit on that? E.g. what synth and when :blush:.

2 Likes

Yeah, Carbon Dioxide on a loud stereo is pretty wild. Not usually my kind of sounds but it kinda comes together.

1 Like

Silent Shout is a top 5 record for me. I haven’t actually dug into Fever Ray that much, so thanks for the reminder that I’ve been meaning to!

4 Likes

What do you think of the lyrics? I personally think they’ve gotten a big downgrade.

As obligatory for the festive season as Low are:

Somewhere I have some DVDs of videos by The Knife that I must find; the Silent Shout live DVD (see above) is also quite fantastic.

4 Likes

Fever Ray’s debut is a stone-cold classic from start to finish. Plunge was a bit of a disappointment at first but certain tracks have really grown on me over time (the way a lot of great music does…)

3 Likes

I understand that some of the production for that track was by Seb Gainsborough (Vessel) and Manchester Collective’s Rakhi Singh. It does share some of the ideas/sounds from Vessel’s own work on

3 Likes

Yep.

@Azzarole A Tempest. Quite some time ago, maybe in 2017 or 2018, if I recall? I could probably find the e-mail again, I remember saving it cause I thought it was so cool he reached out to me :slight_smile:

EDIT: Found it. 2015 :slight_smile: got his adress and everything.

I think both him and Karin are Gothenburgers, I even think their final gig as the Knife was right in my neighbourhood, in Gothenburg Film Studios. That was quite something. Their shows were so intense.

7 Likes

I wish they never included that track about the male dude’s “member” on whatever album as it circumcised my appreciation of the Knife.

Well? Don’t be coy! What was he like?

1 Like

Is that a triple entendre?

1 Like

Yes, but to be honest I lifted that from a conversation I had recently had with someone at a bris.

2 Likes

Quite shy, didn’t wanna speak much. Gave no impression that he was aware of his star status. Could’ve been anybody, really. I wouldn’t call him a nice guy, but he certainly wasn’t the opposite either. He probably just wanted to close the deal and be gone, so that’s what happened :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Fascinating. I think I relate to this guy… which explains a lot…

1 Like