Fever Ray / The Knife

Sooo, little surprised there’s not a dedicated thread on Fever Ray and The Knife’s music already. Curious to hear where the community stands on them.

I’m really into “Radical Romantics” right now.

It’s fascinating how rhythms so often sound like melodies and melodies sound like rhythms in their work (edit: found a great quote supporting that in the Elektronauts interview with Olof: “I always think in terms of notes and melodies when programming the Machinedrum, and make melodies with drum sounds”). And how the music is really deep, atmospheric and complex but at the same time often catchy, funny and goofy. Is that what happens as the best case scenario when you start making electronic music with a Monomachine?

They’ve also managed to have a unique trademark sound that keeps evolving at the same time. It feels like nobody really dares to emulate this sound as it would be spotted immediately. The pitch shifted vocals are still unique and they surprisingly stuck with the palette of about three to four “voices” that you now know.

Favorite track probably is “Now’s the Only Time I Know” from Fever Ray’s debut. The rhythms are out of this world imo.

Also just recently discovered Dreijer’s rock band “Honey is Cool” from the 90s, which brings together their vocal style and rock music I came up with:

Mod edit: added bc links just because

19 Likes

There’s a more specifically MD/MM-related thread about Fever Ray and The Knife’s use of Elektron devices for reference too:

7 Likes

Yes I’ve seen that, but I wanted this to be a thread more about their music than about the gear used.

3 Likes

Absolutely a good idea. Just linked to the thread for reference purposes.

5 Likes

…the knife is one thing…fever ray another…

while totally related…in music and in bloodline…same dna, sonicwise and familywise…
and, of course, once more, totally swedish…

really related to the early knife sound…even when a little to poppy…but once there was fever ray, i simply could not believe what i saw and heard…when “ugly” became the new “sexy” and when kind of industrial doomsday became this very special melancholic twist beyond gender…with all this next level approach of how less can be so much more…while totally alienated…

it is from this world but it’s not…

6 Likes

…latest fever proof of life…

and some when she/they were at peak…

my personal favourites…

3 Likes

I’m really digging Radical Romantics, especially the Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross collabs.

2 Likes

Yeah, North is the most atmospheric song and sounds a bit like the debut. “Even it Out” feels a bit like what Arcade Fire could sound like today if they developed in a good way instead of becoming a shitshow. Love the vocals on the latter, I wonder what Zacharias feels when listening to the song …

I’m really into the beats and call-and-response melodies on “New Utensils”, and the vocal harmonies of “Tapping Fingers” and “Looking for a Ghost” are stuck in my head since Friday.

2 Likes

…meanwhile, i had no clue of this next level term/labeling…radical romantics…
thanx for the education…

Fever Ray/Aphex twin in Stockholm in June. A bit broke so havent got tickets yet but probably will. Used to hang out with a girl around 2001-2002 that almost only played the Knifes first cd. Cant understand how/why she got that record cuz they where still totally underground then and it was in a small very unhip town out in nowhere. Remember thinking this is gonna be big. Karin sang on a track on Silverbullits 2nd LP(which is top5 best swedish records ever):

2 Likes

Loved The Knife (the live version of Heartbeats was our wedding song) and Love Fever Ray.

Nobody else sounds anything like them.

Really getting into the new FR record, going to see them at Field Day in August (can’t wait).

12 Likes

I relate to Fever ray sounds an imagery a lot, especially the first album. I think it sounds very feral, like some trance dreams, but with machines, I also like some of the Knifes more atmospheric tracks, here are my favorite ones:

Saw fever Ray live already for their Plunge album, was very cool but I could not tell if they were actually playing the songs live or just pretending. Very cool show anyways.

2 Likes

The track Carbon Dioxide from the new album goes into refreshing new territory. Really took me by surprise. What They Call Us is classic The Knife and Fever Ray mixed together into a singular mutant. Interesting how they try new stuff and do familiar stuff in the same album.

3 Likes

At this point, I believe it’s appropriate for me to mention that I’ve sold a synth to Olof Dreijer.

12 Likes

In person?

1 Like

I’ve been really into The Knife since Silent Shout and Fever Ray since the debut. Some of their music has been hit-or-miss for me, but the good stuff is SO good. Either would be one of the few bands that I travel a long distance to see perform live.

3 Likes

Do you mind elaborating a bit on that? E.g. what synth and when :blush:.

2 Likes

Yeah, Carbon Dioxide on a loud stereo is pretty wild. Not usually my kind of sounds but it kinda comes together.

1 Like

Silent Shout is a top 5 record for me. I haven’t actually dug into Fever Ray that much, so thanks for the reminder that I’ve been meaning to!

4 Likes

What do you think of the lyrics? I personally think they’ve gotten a big downgrade.